Greenville Shoppers Camp Out For New Jordan Shoes

About three dozen people lined up outside the Greenville Mall early Friday to buy the Jordan Retro 11 shoes as soon as they were available.

WITN spotted the crowd around 2 a.m., but some told us they started lining up last night.

Foot Locker opened up at 5 a.m. for the shoppers to get their hands on the new athletic shoes in what some are calling the biggest new shoe release of the year.

The Air Jordan Retro 11 shoes cost $180.

• by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Jan 2, 2012 at 05:01 PM
    Sadly, some people truly think if they 'look the part' of 'upper-class', wear expensive garments, drive a fancy car, have a gold tooth, they will be perceived as 'upper echelon'. Nothing could be further from the truth, but why that is so important as to go into debt over it, is beyond many of us. "The meek shall inherit the Earth." I remember that old Biblical excerpt; maybe it has merit.
      by Petey Pirate on Jan 2, 2012 at 06:40 PM in reply to Formerly O.L.I.
      You dont know these peoples debt OLI. You totally misinterpreted that bible verse trying to sound smarter than you are. Let it go.
        by 40some on Jan 2, 2012 at 08:08 PM in reply to Petey Pirate
        Petey, I interpret meek to be one who is humble. I don't know the rest of the paragraph it came from, so it's possible that I could be misinterpreting it too.
          by Petey Pirate on Jan 3, 2012 at 03:12 AM in reply to 40some
          If I respond to you about it, trust me it will open up a whole theological discussion about it on here about something that was totally irrelevant to the subject that was being discussed to start with. just go with what you got i suppose.
        by Formerly O.L.I. on Jan 3, 2012 at 06:27 AM in reply to Petey Pirate
        It's totally relevant. People opened the discussion from the start about the price some will pay for a 'status symbol'. Meek does mean 'humble'. It also means 'not aggressive, simple, and appreciative of the basics in life', like food, shelter, and having a loving family. $180 shoes don't provide those things.
  • by Anonymous2 on Jan 1, 2012 at 05:03 PM
    for your fyi i know someone that bought those sneakers , he and his wife have very good jobs and it your money regardless of where you get it from , you spend it like you want to. I am pretty sure you spend yours like you want.
      by Anonymous on Jan 1, 2012 at 08:02 PM in reply to Anonymous2
      Once again, your post perfectly summarizes the majority of the comments regarding people who purchase / appreciate these sneakers. Thank you for sharing.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 31, 2011 at 02:58 AM
    These will be the same people next week complaining about the evil rich corporations making millions off the poor. Think about it, Nike paid some Chinese worker about $ 2.00 to make those shoes and Americans fight to pay $ 180 to own a pair. Stupid... just plain ole stupid. It's not the corp. fault they are making millions....
      by 40some on Dec 31, 2011 at 01:24 PM in reply to
      Unless you're a democrat, then evrything is someone else's fault.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 31, 2011 at 02:55 AM
    Idiots !
  • by Anonymous on Dec 30, 2011 at 01:17 PM
    I wonder why it's not acceptable to purchase expensive shoes in this style, but it's never a bad thing to spend hundreds on dress shoes, or a purse, or a watch, or jeans or a suit, etc. Why is that exactly?
      by 40some on Dec 30, 2011 at 09:13 PM in reply to
      I know there have been isolated incedents where two ladies have duked it out over a purse or a cabbage patch kid, but imagine taking hundreds with that same mob mentality and them stuffing themselves through four 8ft doors in a demand for their instant gratification for the latest "I gotta have" item.
      by Anonymous on Dec 31, 2011 at 08:58 PM in reply to
      Because dress shoes, a watch, or a suit are all associated with someone who has a job. Hightop sneakers are not. I am not sure about a purse or jeans, but would image that one with either of these has a higher probability of maintaining employment than one with these ugly shooze.
      by Michell on Jan 2, 2012 at 11:52 AM in reply to
      As much as I dislike to make a judgement about an entire group of people based on a stereotype, I have to agree with Anonymous. In other areas, people who regularly wear these items probably do reasonably well financially. Those in eastern North Carolina, on the average, do not. You have to be realistic and go with the statistics.
  • by JJ on Dec 29, 2011 at 12:11 PM
    If I had $180 I wouldn't be buying shoes. Why not bail your family member out of jail?
  • by tarheel Location: greenville on Dec 29, 2011 at 10:49 AM
    look out, the crime is going up these shoes help you run and shoot!!!!!
      by Anonymous on Dec 29, 2011 at 02:07 PM in reply to tarheel
      Run, Shoot, and Steal!!!!
      by DIXIECHICK on Dec 31, 2011 at 03:37 AM in reply to tarheel
      Only if they tie the shoes and put on a belt to keep their pants up.
  • by AK47 on Dec 29, 2011 at 07:02 AM
    The better to run with my dear while I make off with my gov't food stamp card and gov't housing and steal your flat screen TV while you are at work.
  • by 40some on Dec 27, 2011 at 08:12 PM
    Them be some shiney new Jodans! You should have seen the mobs tearing the doors off the buildings just to get into the mall to line up at the stores. Fightin ova sum shooze.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 27, 2011 at 07:41 PM
    It's funny - no one said a word about food stamps/welfare/etc. when people were lined up for hours outside Toys R Us just a little over a month ago for toys & bikes for their spoiled children. But do an article where BLACK people (yes, I said that oh so scary adjective) wait in line to buy something &, of course, they MUST be spending YOUR hard earned money on the item. But racism is dead, right?
      by Anonymous on Dec 28, 2011 at 06:30 PM in reply to
      Toys R Us presents are much different than some stupid $180 ugly sneakers that only appeal to drug dealers and wanna be rappers. One might as well flush their money, or our tax payer money, down the toilet. Why not buy some decent shoes that one can wear to a real job?
        by anon on Dec 31, 2011 at 02:04 AM in reply to
        shoes are goin on the feet no matter wat price, toys get broken and some dont even teach nothing. why flush ya money down the toilet on present(toys) wen yu kan spend it on educational stuff? everybody has something to say even when they shouldnt..jus stfu. their money, their choices is all im saying.
          by Anonymous on Dec 31, 2011 at 09:03 PM in reply to anon
          Thank you for your post. I was starting to think that it was all complaining on here, but your posting helps me understand exactly who spends the $180 on these shooze.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 136131553 - witn.com/a?a=136131553