Greenville Residents Pray, Walk Against Violence

By: April Davis
By: April Davis

The recent spike in violence in Greenville has caused worry for many and today, church leaders and members from all over Greenville came together to take back the community with a prayer walk against violence.

Hundreds of concerned residents and local churches gathered at Third Street School to discuss the increase in violence and show if we all come together, its possible to combat crimes that have recently rocked the community. We spoke with church leaders at the prayer walk against violence about the recent rash of crime.

"I just feel like we can do something as a church, that inner feeling it hurts to see your community being put down like this and being labeled as it is, so we want to bring a positive aspect to whats going on in the community.," said Pastor William Harper of New vision Faith Ministries.

"This is our community. This isn't West Greenville this is our neighborhood,. These are our neighbors. We love the people of West Greenville, and to say it's their problem- it's our problem. We are one community. We believe we are one church, one community, one body of Christ, and its not us and them," said Director of Outreach at Covenent Church Walter Strathy.

All churches in attendance plan on coming together again to help the community address issues of violence.

• by JusticeForAll on Jul 18, 2011 at 11:17 AM
    Perhaps if the good people of Greenville would actually DO something to send a STRONG message to these thugs, things would change. Thugs don't respond to prayer. Thugs don't understand sermons. Thugs don't read scripture. But if they see law-abiding people walking through their neighborhoods with .45s on their hips, the thugs can understand that... We don't have to shoot the thugs--just let them know that WE own our neighborhoods--NOT THEM... God helps those who help themselves--but he's not too big on people who constantly whine for someone else to solve their problems...
  • by J. V. Location: N.C. on Jul 17, 2011 at 09:50 PM
    The Geenville Black gangs - Bloods & Crips since are always at war. For drugs & money and rob even Black businees owners. Pray hard , but they got guns.
  • by Anonymous on Jul 17, 2011 at 05:34 PM
    I don't think your prayer walk worked. Greenville is a nasty hole,there were muggings today. Marshal Law sounds good.
  • by a 13 year old Location: chocowinity NC on Jul 17, 2011 at 03:50 PM
    guys im not attemping to start a religous argument but they say athiest are the evil ones right well a athiest wont abandon a friend because of his religion but if you dont believe in god you are automaticly evil in some christians books come on people be open minded here but i have tons of insidents where athiests are loosing friendships because they dont believe in any god i just dont understand how athiests are classiefied as evil when christans abandon friends over religion not to be sterotypical here its majority of christians out there some are open minded some of my best friends are christian my point is its sad a 13 year old is more open minded then some christan adults if you think about it religion is forced upon children in religious house holds so there for sort of forcing them to accept it and make them believe it just please be more open minded people
      by Mike on Jul 17, 2011 at 04:24 PM in reply to a 13 year old
      I would have thought public school would have taught punctuation and capitalization by now. My Bad! And how would you expect someone to accept something they have never been taught? You have a lot to learn!
        by a 13 year old on Jul 17, 2011 at 05:52 PM in reply to Mike
        your totally right i didnt use my correct grammar and punctuation. yes i know i have alot to learn but atleast i can be a open minded child when some adults cant even do that. im not looking for staying on a sentance forever for grammar nazis to rant about inproper grammar and punctuation i dont care im not doing anything important. im sorry i cant know everything when im 13 atleast im open minded and think of the world as a big mixing pot freedom of religion is a bunch of bull as far as some public go so goahead and hate on me for expressing myself and having wrong grammar and punctionation atleast i know im not having religion forced upon me
          by Dave on Jul 17, 2011 at 06:33 PM in reply to a 13 year old
          You must go to a public school in Greenville. Either that, or you wanted to set the world record for the longest run on sentence ever.
      by jerry on Jul 17, 2011 at 04:55 PM in reply to a 13 year old
      This may very well be the longest sentence I`ve ever lost my breath trying to read.....
        by 13 year old on Jul 17, 2011 at 05:54 PM in reply to jerry
        im sorry for not caring about the grammar and punctuation i just was expressing myself and didnt pay attention to that my apoligies
      by The Truth on Jul 17, 2011 at 05:29 PM in reply to a 13 year old
      Christ did not teach to abandon people because of their lack of faith or belief. I understand that there are a lot of people who use "religion" in the wrong way, but the message of Christ is love. He taught to love your neighbor, to love your enemy. People who are using their "religion" in a harmful way are not practicing the teachings of Christ. It says in the Bible you will know the sign of a Christian by their love.
        by a 13 year old on Jul 17, 2011 at 08:11 PM in reply to The Truth
        see your one of the open minded christians see you know what im talking about. the ones who reject others because of religion
  • by pg Location: enc on Jul 17, 2011 at 02:12 PM
    Thank you God for everyone that participated.
      by God on Jul 17, 2011 at 04:32 PM in reply to pg
      You are welcome my child.
  • by Dave Location: ({[]}) on Jul 17, 2011 at 12:00 PM
    If they were really brave, they would have conducted this prayer walk at 1:00 am.
      by Right, Dave on Jul 17, 2011 at 01:43 PM in reply to Dave
      And do it unarmed, without police escort.
      by Gregory on Jul 17, 2011 at 02:14 PM in reply to Dave
      Excellent point!
  • by Dave Location: (S~S~S~) on Jul 17, 2011 at 11:03 AM
    With the way that some of these people looked, a little walking should do them some good.
      by jerry on Jul 17, 2011 at 04:56 PM in reply to Dave
      or a lot of walking...
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Jul 17, 2011 at 10:56 AM
    If everything previously done (or not done) to stop this 'tide of violence' isn't working in Greenville, I don't see the harm in these brave people walking and praying to bring more attention to the problem. For those who don't believe in God, or Heaven, nor Hell, don't let it worry you; just go about your usual business...oh, and some of us will pray you don't get mugged, shot, or robbed. Have a good day.
      by Paco the Pirate on Jul 17, 2011 at 03:14 PM in reply to Formerly O.L.I.
      lol @ you. Maybe you should have starting praying sooner, that way the crime would never have started in the first place. Oh wait, that is right, prayer only works when it is convenient to your cause. Pray away, because you are solving anything that way. Walk down the street in groups anytime you want to, but just know that you are solving anything. I, also, don't see any harm in these people and their prayer-walking demonstration, but they aren't contributing anything. They aren't bringing anymore attention to the matter, since the thugs who commit the crimes already do that. All they are doing is WASTING THEIR TIME, but if it makes them feel better, then good for them.
  • by Mike Location: Edenton on Jul 17, 2011 at 09:55 AM
    Nice gesture. But it would surprise me if some parents of thugs aren't right there. It's a small wonder there good intending people weren't robbed or shot while they were walking. Why aren't these people out on the streets at night patrollin the neighborhoods? Now THAT just might do some good!
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Jul 17, 2011 at 01:24 PM in reply to Mike
      Because they would be 'blamed' for getting shot or killed for not using reasonable care and placing themselves in harms' way...you know; the 20th century law that protects criminals.
      by The Truth on Jul 17, 2011 at 05:34 PM in reply to Mike
      Some of these people have been and continue to go out their and walk these streets and do the same thing at night.
  • by Interesting on Jul 17, 2011 at 08:41 AM
    This site might have some answers as to the state of the African-American condition. http://blackboysreport.org/?page_id=347
      by The condition on Jul 17, 2011 at 10:58 AM in reply to Interesting
      The condition is that blacks need to take responsbility and stop blaming other races for their current problems. My family and I had nothing to do with slavery or oppression, yet we are blamed for it because of the color of our skin. We have taught are daughter that everyone is the same but its hard to explain to her why the black girl told her she was ugly because she is white or why the black woman knocked her down when she was 3 because she was white. Rasicm is something that is being kept alive by blacks not other races. The way I see it, we are all part of one race and that is the human race. Enough said.
        by Formerly O.L.I. on Jul 17, 2011 at 01:20 PM in reply to The condition
        You know? That was really a wise comment. I have the same sentiments.
        by Serious on Jul 17, 2011 at 03:54 PM in reply to The condition
        Are you serious...I am a white man and rasicm still exist in the white community. I hear it everyday just at work alone and trust me where I work there are not black people working. I will admit that blacks do use the racist button alot but rasicm do still exist by whites. No excuse what was told to your daughter but I think you was a little extreme saying a black woman knocked your 3 year old because she was white and you didnt go to jail. Dont believe that for a minute.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 125693638 - witn.com/a?a=125693638