Greenville Police Officer Dies

A 20 year veteran of the Greenville Police Department has died following a difficult illness. Officer Donnie Andrews died Thursday morning at Pitt County Memorial Hospital.

Andrews battled Hodgkin's Disease and Sarcoidosis, according to information provided by the North Carolina Police Benevolent Association. The group created a Facebook page to urge people to donate to the Officer Donnie Andrews Fund to help him pay mounting medical bills.

Hodgkin's disease is a type of cancer called a lymphoma, which is a cancer of the lymphatic system. Sarcoidosis is a disease in which swelling (inflammation) occurs in the lymph nodes, lungs, liver, eyes, skin, or other tissues.

On March 23, when the Facebook page to help Officer Andrews was posted, the North Carolina Police Benevolent Association said his heart was functioning at 20% and his kidneys had shut down.

People can contribute to the Officer Donnie Andrews Fund in the following ways:

-Donate to the fund at any branch of Wachovia/Wells Fargo Bank
-Donate to the fund at any area Go by any area BB&T Bank
-Text the phrase COPS DONNIE to 85944. A $10 donation will be added to your next cell phone bill

The death of Officer Andrews comes on the fourth anniversary of the death of another Greenville police officer, Jason Campbell. Campbell died in a car crash on duty on 500 North Greene Street in front of the Wilco Gas Station in Greenville. He was 35 years old.

• by Tayr116 Location: Home at the moment on Sep 27, 2011 at 09:17 PM
    Hey dad just wanted to say I miss you :(
  • by sister-n-law Location: zebulon on Apr 21, 2011 at 06:36 PM
    you are missed....thanks for taking care of my sister and my nephews..you fought a good fight an have finish your course, go on and take your place at GOD'S feet...love you dearly..
  • by VINES FAMILY Location: GREENVILLE on Apr 18, 2011 at 06:54 PM
    GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.. A GREAT POLICEMAN THAT WOULD HELP ANYONE ALWAYS HAD A SMILE ONE WHO HELP MY COUSIN STAY POSTIVE IN SCHOOL WE WILL MISS U RIP !!!!
  • by Former Hospital employee Location: Beaufort County on Apr 16, 2011 at 04:29 PM
    I will never forget the years that I was emploeed at the hospital and this young man would come in to investigate an accident or just to stop by and check on other officers that were at the hospital. He was the quite big man that had the big smile. He didn't say much but you could see the care in his smile. He will be greatly missed in the Pitt County and surrounding area. Praying with and for the family and for the loss of a mighty and great officer with GPD. RIP Officer Andrews.
  • by Anonymous LEO on Apr 16, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    God bless your family and your memory. Rest easy, bro...we'll take it from here.
  • by Vivian Location: Greenville, NC on Apr 16, 2011 at 11:26 AM
    Blessed Are Those Who Mourn Jesus said, "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted." - Matthew 5:4 (NRSV) My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends. I met Donnie during his tenure at ECU as a security officer. He always had a warm friendly spirit and he will be missed by all who had the pleasure of knowing him. I hope his life will continue be encouraging to the young people that met him especially the young men for I believe he strived to be a role model. May God bless his family.
  • by family friend Location: greenville on Apr 16, 2011 at 08:59 AM
    my thoughts and prayers go to Mrs. Gloria and their children. I use to tease Officer Andrews about getting old when he was a resource officer at the middle school my son use to go to, since I knew them when I was a little girl. This is a sweet family, so let's all continue to provide them with comfort and prayers....R.I.P. Officer Andrews!!!!
  • by PBA Member on Apr 16, 2011 at 06:43 AM
    Please donate through the ways in the story and assist this great family , 100% of donation goes to family! Every little bit will help with the financial burden. This family is very deserving of our assistance! You will be missed Donnie!
  • by GPD385 on Apr 15, 2011 at 09:11 PM
    God Bless Ms. Gloria, your children and family. Your contagious smile will be missed by everyone at GPD. Rest peaceful at the right hand of the one you served the most!!!
  • by GPD 367 Location: Greenville on Apr 15, 2011 at 04:11 PM
    You've fought the good fight and you always kept the faith. You are with God now and I know that big smile of yours is helping to brighten heaven even more. I will truly miss the good times we had as co-workers and as friends. I will always cherish the time that I was blessed to be around you. You always had a positive impact on me as well as everyone you came into contact with. I will miss the funny times in roll call when you'd laugh so hard you couldn't speak. Enjoy your time in heaven until we see each other again my brother. Rest in Peace GPD-118. C-Platoon will never be the same.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119866479 - witn.com/a?a=119866479