Greenville Mom Creates Neighborhood Library To Help Kids

A Greenville mom has made it her goal to give back to the kids in her neighborhood one book at a time.

Mother of four, Marquita Cooper, has been hard at work for over a month collecting books from businesses, schools, and residents of Pitt County.

Her goal is to create a neighborhood library at her home for all the kids that live on Kristin Drive in Greenville. Cooper has cleared out her living room and everything else on the bottom portion of her home to create a quiet environment where kids to can come in and read.

Cooper held a book drive Saturday where she collected over 200 books. Cooper says, “These kids are great. A lot of them have been written off because this neighborhood doesn’t have such a good reputation, but these kids are smart and they’re going to be something one day, all of them.”

Cooper is still accepting book donations and shelving to hold the books. You can contact Cooper by emailing her at mccooper92@yahoo.com.

• by Anonymous on Jan 10, 2012 at 03:18 PM
    Does anyone know how to get in touch with her. I have alot of books I want to donate but her email keeps coming back.
  • by Petey Pirate on Dec 19, 2011 at 02:58 AM
    Good hearted effort Ms. Cooper. Make a difference.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 18, 2011 at 02:47 PM
    I wouldn't let my children into the home of a stranger. There are safer places for children to read - school, library, their own homes...
      by Anonymous on Dec 19, 2011 at 03:55 AM in reply to
      keyword is neighborhood. I am pretty sure her neighbors know her/ will get to know her before sending their children....
  • by Marie Location: Greenville on Dec 18, 2011 at 02:04 PM
    Here is a woman with a vision. I commend her for making a difference in our community. Acting rather than just complaining. WITN, please follow up on this story and continue to bring us stories that touch our hearts!
  • by Anonymous on Dec 18, 2011 at 01:58 PM
    Can someone tell me if she is still accepting books? I have a set of Encyclopedias...probably 30 years old that need a home. I hate to throw them away, but libraries nor schools will accept them. They are in great condition, just old
      by tj on Dec 18, 2011 at 09:23 PM in reply to
      she is still accepting books and like you see on the story all the books are just sitting on her floor because she hasnt gotten any shelves so she is trying to find shelves for the books too. Its good to get to kids when they are younger about reading and learning before outside influences turn them to bad behavior
        by Anonymous on Dec 19, 2011 at 07:27 AM in reply to tj
        Please tell me how I can contact her. You referenced an e-mail address which I can't find.
  • by EMC Location: Greenville on Dec 18, 2011 at 12:16 PM
    in response to "Support?"s comments below: How sad that you are so bitter toward a woman who is trying to make a better life for her own and her neighbors children. I also am a working taxpayer and am not too thrilled about people who live off the system. Yes, there are too many people who want a free ride. However, we have no idea of how this mother came to be where she is, and atleast she is trying to make things better. We must not judge others unless we are without fault. I made my son clean out his bookshelf yesterday and go with me to donate the books. It is an important lesson in life to teach our children to help others who may be less fortunate than ourselves, especially during the Christmas season. I wonder how many families have unused books on their shelves collecting dust that would be appreceited and used by these children. She wasn't asking for monetary donations or free toys, she was trying to provide educational books for children to learn from. Keep up the good work Marquita and may God bless you and your children with a bright and happy future!
      by Support? on Dec 19, 2011 at 07:57 PM in reply to EMC
      I meant no ill-will nor disparaging remarks toward what this woman is doing for her community. My comment is one of the clearest, most intellegent thoughts that can be said about the condition of our people. To argue with it is to prove your own ignorance. To call me names or insult me shows the inability to accept the truth which I stated. I had a great childhood with wonderful loving parents. I never wanted for much and my parents were always there to provide for me. What's YOUR excuse?
  • by Melissa Location: Greenville on Dec 18, 2011 at 07:19 AM
    Wow - what a GREAT story!! We have hundreds of books in our home and will definitely be donating some to this worthy cause. My daughter has always been a voracious reader, and now that she is a teenager and is reading adult literature, we don't need a great many of the books we own. I would love to see them put to good use. Reading is SO important for children!
      by tj on Dec 18, 2011 at 09:24 PM in reply to Melissa
      make sure to email her at the email address above and she'll tell you where to bring the books.
  • by Do What on Dec 18, 2011 at 07:03 AM
    Some illiterates prefer buying their child,children toy guns,doll babies rather than to teach them to read.Well if the parent is dumb of course they can't teach their child to be smart.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 18, 2011 at 05:15 AM
    This is a wonderful story! It's nice to see a positive message on witn for once! Keep up the great work!
  • by teacher Location: Greenville on Dec 17, 2011 at 11:56 PM
    As a teacher, I watch, talk, and listen to excuse after excuse as to why children do not return their library books. They check them out then never bring them back. Many times when they do bring them back, they are in poor condition. This has been my personal experience. I commend this Mom for what she is doing, however, my hope and feeling is that she should create some sort of accountability for books not returned or returned in a condition less than acceptable. I will be contacting this parent to donate books. It would be nice to know if she needs containers to hold them in categories as well. Best of luck!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 135804298 - witn.com/a?a=135804298