Pitt County Schools Decrease School Bus Stops

There are only 10 days until the first day of school in Pitt County, and the school system has changed the bus route since last year for most of its students.

The full schedule is expected to be unveiled at the Pitt County Schools Board of Education Meeting Monday night.

Officials have already said the number of stops is significantly lower for the 2011-2012 school year. Last year there were 4,300 and this year there will be about 2,700, according to the Daily Reflector.

The paper also reports budget cuts forced fewer stops, but the latest redistricting made fewer stops easier.

• by CP on Aug 15, 2011 at 02:13 PM
    God forbid your lazy obese kids will have to get a little more exercise now!
  • by OSOC Location: Washington on Aug 15, 2011 at 11:50 AM
    Yes, these days and times are a little different, however, consider that most youngters will have an adult of two to watch them get on the bus. Just like we did in my neighborhood in the 60s and 70s. There were 10-12 students that picked up at the same stop and parents always watching us. Danger would be not being a good neighbor and watching after all your neighbors kids. Also, there is safety in numbers.
  • by Michelle Location: Pactolus on Aug 15, 2011 at 10:31 AM
    This isn't bad for the kids except when it is raining and the bus breaks down (which it does over and over again) and the kids are told that they have to be outside waiting for the bus (or they will be left) or when the bus is over an hour late!
  • by Stan Location: G'ville on Aug 15, 2011 at 10:05 AM
    This is a great way to save tax payer dollars and the kids can socialize with their friends some before they get on the bus.
  • by Wonderful Location: enc on Aug 15, 2011 at 08:40 AM
    This is the way it ought to be. I have followed numerous buses in different areas that stop then pull forward the length of the bus. When I was young there was 1 bus stop at the end of the block for several streets.
  • by Anonymous on Aug 15, 2011 at 08:08 AM
    I'm glad that I'm able to put my son in private school. This school system is a joke. This puts the children in a lot more danger by making them walk further to a bus stop. Absolutely crazy.
      by Congratulations! on Aug 15, 2011 at 03:44 PM in reply to
      Your son will be as sheltered and myopic as you.
  • by The Original ENC Location: enc on Aug 15, 2011 at 07:14 AM
    First School Uniforms...like that really helped...test scores down and violence up...Next: Redistricting: impacting many young kids and disrupting family routines because now we have to take our kids to a school that is not as close as our old school...and now this: fewer bus stops - so children can walk a greater distance to home. This School Board is a TOTAL joke. To those of you that reference bygone times - sure, I walked a good way home too - BUT IT WAS A DIFFERENT TIME!
      by ? on Aug 15, 2011 at 08:03 AM in reply to The Original ENC
      Right, a different time, HA! Good one, I forgot this is the entitlement era. All those things you listed were ether never enforced or was not done properly, it's funny when you look at schools in Japan who do all the things you listed and they have some of the smartest kids on the planet and they don't even have school buses except out in the countryside, but you are right, the school board is a joke. They are too arrogant to think that we have the best system even though they are proved wrong on a daily bases.
  • by Bob Location: gville on Aug 15, 2011 at 06:55 AM
    Here's a great idea for saving money. Lets send these kids to the school closest to their home. We allow people who pay no taxes and live in poor neibor"hoods" to cry about the quality of education their kid is getting at the school thats closest to their home. Then we bus a kid across town to that school to correct the "balance".
  • by Jeff Location: Winterville on Aug 15, 2011 at 06:42 AM
    It's about time. The number of bus stops was ludicrous. It's frustrating driving behind a bus which stops every 50 feet. There is no danger to the children. Overprotective parents are a bigger threat to our youth.
      by Nana on Aug 15, 2011 at 07:47 AM in reply to Jeff
      Jeff, you evidently don't have a child/grandchild that rides the bus in rural Pitt County. While I agree that driving behind a school bus is aggravating, I'm glad to see that the kids can still be picked up and dropped off at the end of their driveway. I wouldn't want my granddaughters to have to walk down the side of the road to get home, given the way some folks around here drive.
        by bs on Aug 15, 2011 at 02:02 PM in reply to Nana
        Hate to break it to you but jeff is right. There is no reason for a bus to stop at every driveway it comes to. and i think this applies to subdivisions more than rural county roads.
      by The Original ENC on Aug 15, 2011 at 11:34 AM in reply to Jeff
      When it comes to having a YOUNG child walk home...YOU BETCHA I'm going to be over-protective...when it comes to activities, etc...I encourage them to experience life and don't hover over them. You'll understand once you are a parent. Growl!
  • by Boats Location: Beaufort on Aug 15, 2011 at 05:23 AM
    Heaven forbid a child should have to actually walk to a bus stop. Why...that's just unamerican. Seriously, in the 60s the bus I was riding only stopped once im my neighborhood and all the neighborhood kids got on it there. I can also remember it only stopping 3 times is all of Washington Park. I just don't know how any of us survived to become the wussified adults we've become.
      by Marie on Aug 15, 2011 at 12:54 PM in reply to Boats
      I agree with you...I had to walk to the bus stop when I was going to school too. It is ridiculous to stop at every driveway not to mention wasteful spending.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 127720873 - witn.com/a?a=127720873