Greenville Councilmember Smith: "That Money Came Out Of My Pocket, I Just Want It Back"

Greenville city council has voted unanimously to pay attorney fees for council member Kandie Smith who was arrested last summer by Greenville police.

Smith was excused from voting on the measure which will pay $2,150 in costs she incurred in defending herself for second degree trespass and resisting, delaying or obstructing an officer. A judge found Smith not guilty after a trial in August.

Smith tells WITN, "Personally, I didn't ask for it to happen and for those who are asking, wow did she want to get arrested, I was not trying to be like MLK, I respect him, but I never wanted to be arrested. I thought it would be fair I do get my reimbursement. I'm not trying to ask the city for anything more or anything less, that was the money that came out of my pocket and I think people are interpreting it as they're paying me and they're not paying me, that was money that came out of my pocket I just asked for it back."

The councilwoman was arrested after an incident in the early morning hours of June 6th. Smith said she was looking into allegations of police brutality and harassment in downtown Greenville when she was arrested.

Councilman Calvin Mercer says council was not required to pay the attorney fees. But city council said Smith was acting in her official capacity as a council member when she was arrested.

The vote was taken after city council went into a closed session to discuss the payment.

Greenville City Council voted unanimously to pay Councilmember Kandie Smith's $2,150 in attorney's fees for her arrest on trespassing & resisting an officer charge, which she was found not guilty. Do you think the city should pay the fees?

• by Jeff Location: Greenville on Jul 1, 2011 at 08:19 AM
    So she gets arrested for breaking the law and as a taxpayer, I pay her bills for her? How about take responsibility for your own actions.
  • by Mema Location: home on May 19, 2011 at 03:37 PM
    WHY does this CRYBABY THINK that SHE DESERVES Her money back anymore than anyone else that was falsely charged? i mean, really she wasn't falsely Charged,it was just thrown out of court? right? well, How about ALL the OTHERS that have theirs thrown out? do they get all their money back? including Atty fees?? send her down the road!!! she is a Disgrace to the City of Greenville...
  • by Good Grief on May 19, 2011 at 03:05 PM
    The schools have no money, taxes are high as heck and she wants to be reimbursed for a private attorney to get her off a charge she "claims" she didn't commit. She should be glad that she did not get convicted of the crime and leave it to lessons learned that she needs to get approval from her boss before going out on a 2am field trip to try to bait some cops into doing something wrong....
  • by OMG Location: Greenville on May 19, 2011 at 12:44 PM
    I would rather have MILDRED BACK!!!!! Kandie seems to be all about herself not the community. Vote her out next time!!
  • by granny Location: greenville on May 19, 2011 at 04:14 AM
    Give her her money, then give her a bus ticket out of here. We do not want her here!
  • by Larry on May 18, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    Please let's all remember this and how she handled the entire situation when election time rolls around. We have enough folks like her loitering in the streets already, we certainly don't need her hanging out with the city council. Mrs. Smith, your attitude and demeanor make you more suitable for flipping burgers somewhere.
  • by Dar Location: Wilmar on May 18, 2011 at 10:01 AM
    Ms. Smith's attitude regarding the "reimbursement" was very typical & expected.
  • by JH Location: Greenville on May 17, 2011 at 07:24 PM
    She is a scofflaw. I certainly don't believe she is innocent. Just look at how her story kept changing. City Council members have a long track record of "looking out after each other". Just look at the zoning decisions they vote for despite the concerns expressed by their own city staff. Forget listening to the residents. You apparently need to have money and friends in all the right places to be heard.
  • by Bill Location: ENC on May 17, 2011 at 04:54 PM
    The tax payers of Greenville should not have to cover the cost of this ediot council member. Maybe they will not reelect her next time since it cost them $2150 to see how stupid she was.
  • by ace Location: j ville on May 17, 2011 at 04:52 PM
    For $2150 did the citizens of Greenville get any satisfaction? Did she learn anything thing about police brutility? It was one council member looking after another council member and using your tax dollars to do it!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 121576539 - witn.com/a?a=121576539