Greenville Community Shelters Struggling To Stay Open

By: April Davis
By: April Davis

Economic recovery is not moving fast enough for one homeless shelter in the east.

Officials at Greenville Community Shelters say need is up, at a time when funding is way down. The shelter offers different programs from overnight shelter, to transitional housing and long-term housing. In the short-term they need to solve a $55-hundred dollar monthly shortfall. A long term plan may be even trickier.

"We're not likely to rebound to the way things were in 2006-2007 and it may mean we'll have to do things differently and look for different partnerships and arrangements," said executive director Lynne James.

They met with stakeholders Thursday morning to discuss options.

• by Anonymous on May 7, 2011 at 09:14 AM
    It is a sad day when the homeless shelters are faced with shutting down and all people can do is point fingers and look "down" on the individuals living there. Yes, there are some persons there that work full time jobs but with minimum wage they are unable to afford rent/lightbill etc for a few months. If you haven't already, I suggest that you "volunteer" your time (as I do on 4th sundays) to the shelter and there you will find entire families WHITE and BLACK, OLD and YOUNG! Homelessness has no respect of person. Never point fingers b/c most of us are just a few paychecks away from being homeless ourselves.
      by Anonymous on May 7, 2011 at 10:54 AM in reply to
      I believe the posters are asking for openness, transparency and accountability from those who run the shelter, not looking down on those there.
  • by volunteer1207 Location: wayne co on May 6, 2011 at 11:55 AM
    Why don't they have yardsales, bake sales, etc. like other organizations have? I would be more than glad to donate whatever I could. I don't have much money but I have alot of spirit and energy. Out of 18 organizations I have requested to volunteer for over the past 6 weeks, only 4 have responded. Makes me wonder sometime if they want physical help or just money to do whatever.
      by Anonymous on May 7, 2011 at 08:27 AM in reply to volunteer1207
      They just want grants from the government. It is a huge scam! Volunteers are only used to add "credibility" to the "good" they alledgedly do.
  • by Pirateman on May 6, 2011 at 02:22 AM
    UMMMMM, have they ever considered having the "homeless" and "downtrodden" that these shelters serve do the volunteering to help run it? Maybe they have, but I'm just asking.
  • by No Abla on May 5, 2011 at 09:31 PM
    Who would be a stakeholder in a community shelter? There will never be a financial return on investment so I really don't understand the use of the term stakeholder. Perhaps these are touchy feely emotional stakes? Seriously, explain to me who would be a stakeholder in this type of community endeavor. Do they get cheap labor perhaps? Maybe women down on their luck? Sorry just trying to understand. Sounds criminal to me.
      by Pirateman on May 6, 2011 at 02:31 AM in reply to No Abla
      The stakeholder is the preacher getting the government grant and gets to keep 15% of the grant into his personal account for "administrative costs" as the law allows. Volunteers and donors help him show credibility when he writes the grants. BUT he is a compassionate Democrat and FEELS their pain- all the way to the bank (not the food bank either).
        by Anonymous on May 7, 2011 at 08:25 AM in reply to Pirateman
        Yep, they use the volunteers and donors, but you don't see them donating or volunteering. Nope, they got to be paid out of that grant. If they took no money from the grants and gave it all to homeless, then they'd have enough credibility for me to listen.
  • by Otis Location: NC on May 5, 2011 at 08:24 PM
    Obama spent 13 Trillion dollars. He schould have porked some money for homeless shelters? Is Obama on vacation playing golf again?
  • by CC on May 5, 2011 at 08:11 PM
    I thought Obama was going to be the savior to all. Apparently NOT. Remember, "Obama gonna pay my car payment, he gonna pay for my gas, and he gonna pay for my mortgage." Yeah, keep believing all that.
      by Pirateman on May 6, 2011 at 02:23 AM in reply to CC
      You meant to say, "dat Bama gonna be paying my crib and Cadillac"!
        by Gray on May 6, 2011 at 08:04 AM in reply to Pirateman
        A wise woman once typed "If you do not have anything beneficial or SMART to add to the situation, Please stop adding to your STUPIDITY by posting STUPID comments" Who was that wise woman....ME....Now get a life and stop trying to make every NEWS story about President Obama. If you are not part of the solution then you must be part of the problem.... Now run and tell that...
          by Gray on May 7, 2011 at 08:23 AM in reply to Gray
          But, I told you I am showing homeless people the Jobs/Work section in yesterday's classified ads in the paper and I'm paying for the newspaper. That is part of the solution and positive. You think the only solution is welfare, grants and the bilking and milking that goes with it. Also, learn some English and punctuation. If you don't know the meaning of punctuation wise one, then look it up. You might not do that because that is work. Maybe if a government check came with it, then you'd do it!
  • by Wondering Location: Greenville on May 5, 2011 at 07:56 PM
    We are each of us judged on how we treat our fellow man in their hour of need. No matter the reason a person or family ends up needing help at the shelter, they are in a desperate situation and in need of aid. Several of the shelter's programs are geared to helping families regain their lives . Our area churches are doing so much in terms of providing meals, volunteers, etc. This is an incredibly generous, giving community as was recently witnessed at the latest ALS, Cancer and MS rallies and walks. Perhaps corporations could sponsor or adopt rooms for families at the shelter or a walk could be done,etc. We can't solve every problem but we can provide basic human kindness.
      by Pirateman on May 6, 2011 at 02:57 AM in reply to Wondering
      Hey, I treat my fellow man who is homeless by showing him yesterdays classifieds under "Help Wanted", I even pay for the newspaper! THAT'S COMPASSION!!!!
  • by Lee Location: Bath on May 5, 2011 at 07:55 PM
    All Obama voters. What happened to Obama's stimulas jobs? Is it still all Bush's fault?
  • by Robert Location: NC on May 5, 2011 at 07:39 PM
    Ex Pres. Bush gave Lavon & Barlow '2' free non taxed Gov't checks. I still have not gotten a check from Obama from the bad Rich People yet. Has anybody? - I bet Lavon & Barlow spent Bush's checks on the lottery. To be one of those bad rich people. You bet they would not give a dime for even the black homeless. Most Democrats don't give to charity. Goggle the facts! Republican Conservatives do !
      by Pirateman on May 6, 2011 at 02:29 AM in reply to Robert
      I used to be a "greedy Republican" and I gave to charity. I have switched to compassionate Democrat and I believe government should take care of everybody! So now I gladly pay my taxes (Pay YOUR fair share!!!) and I do not give to charity. BUT I do feel their pain. I am so good, sweet and wonderful now. I am not one of those da**ed hard-working, taxpaying, donating, volunteering Bums called Republicans anymore.
  • by BLAHammed on May 5, 2011 at 06:30 PM
    What do you think there bralow,lavitra and databouyeeee?Care to donate some of your democratic money?
      by James on May 5, 2011 at 09:22 PM in reply to BLAHammed
      they just want to degrade the well off individuals... you know those of us that don't mind working hard, making something of ourselves. We are the ones that GIVE MONEY to help keep these centers open. Lavon and Barlow just wants obama to tax us more and more. Keep taxing the well off people and the poor will suffer even more.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 121360749 - witn.com/a?a=121360749