UPDATE: Greenville City Council Votes To Move Dream Park Forward

Major improvements to the "Dream Park" is a step closer to reality in Greenville this morning.

The Greenville City Council voted to move the project forward at last night's meeting. Dream Park is on Chestnut Street on Greenville's west side.

Officials at the meeting say they hope grants and donations can help cover the $785,000 price tag for big improvements to the park, and they'll ask the city to cover the rest of the bill.

Planners say the park will help revitalize west Greenville.

Previous story:
Greenville City Council members will soon decide whether to move forward with revitalizing a local park that planners say will increase the quality of life in the area. But the estimated price tag is $730,000.

Dream Park is on Chestnut Street on Greenville's Westside.

The recreation and parks department recently adopted the "Dream Park master plan," which calls for a new playground, a spray ground - which features water jets for kids to play in during hot weather - a multi-purpose field and a picnic area. Planners say the park would help revitalize west Greenville.

Officials hope to get state and private grants for the project.

City council is scheduled to decide whether to adopt the plan at its meeting Monday night.

• by Chuck Location: Greenville on Jan 11, 2012 at 07:32 PM
    With the bad economy & Upcoming reevauation of property values,the city should hold off on doing this park. Spending this large amount of money on this park in a high crime area is just stupid. Spend the money on stopping crime in Greenville. 'Nuff said.
  • by Superdave Location: Greenville on Jan 10, 2012 at 05:00 PM
    The City of Greenville is broke! So go ahead and build the park with 100% PRIVATE funds only. I have no problem with this.
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Jan 10, 2012 at 03:56 PM
    It's obvious that so-called 'city council' will do whatever it wants to, regardless of what the voters say NOT to do. Were they voted in? Time to vote them out. All elected officials can be voted out if citizens show up at the polls. Hope the new laws take effect that require I.D. to vote so this doesn't happen again.
  • by former Greenville resident on Jan 10, 2012 at 03:45 PM
    Every morning when I check the news, there has been another home invasion, robbery, or shooting in Greenville. I lived there from 1977-88 and loved it so much-I hate the city has become so dangerous. I feel so very sorry for the decent people that are basically stuck in declining neighborhoods. Reading all the comments and the article, it sounds like a pretty dumb and wasteful idea to build a park where they are proposing.
  • by Concerned Citizen on Jan 10, 2012 at 01:10 PM
    I don't normally post on this site, but this is something I cannot keep quiet about. Innocent people in this city are scared to go shopping without getting robbed and we're concerned about building a park? At any given time there are less than fifteen officers on the streets because the city can't afford to pay for more. Yet, our tax money is going to build another park that will be abandoned in a few years because people will be scared to go there. If you want to improve the quality of life in that area then put more officers on the streets so they can get the criminals under control. Then the decent people in the neighborhood will revitalize their own community! There are decent people in that part of town, but they're too scared to stand up and do anything. Help the police so they can help the citizens. I hear officers responding clear across town to answer calls because they are so shorthanded. Not to mention they stay busy with people who can't control their eleven year olds or think they need to call 911 because some kid rang their door bell and ran away. It takes a village to raise a child, so help your neighbors raise theirs by talking to each other about things going on. Stop calling the police to raise your family and let them battle crime like they're intended to.
  • by Bob Location: ENC on Jan 10, 2012 at 12:47 PM
    How will a park revitalize a neighborhood where half the houses are boarded up? Try encouraging Harris Teeter & other stores to build a shopping center in this area. It ain't going to happen! For the very same reasons, the city should not be investing in this area. It ia a slum area & the two block area on both sides of Dickinson Ave should be razed & redeveloped from 10th Street to the railroad underpass. Parks will never encourage people to locate in this ghetto neighborhood. That money should be used to hire more policemen to police this area & drive out the drug dealers, prostitutes & thugs that have destroyed this area of town. The last time I drove through this area, while stopped at a stop sign near the homeless shelter, a lady propositioned me for sex. Now really, is this where decent people want to live because of a park nearby. Crime, the most important issue, is giving the town the worst image of any city in North Carolina & it will eventually destroy the Greenville that we all remember.
  • by Sally Location: Greenville on Jan 10, 2012 at 10:58 AM
    Love the idea of a spray park! Hate the location. The spray park in Kinston is really cool and in a decent location so I guess that's where my family will continue to go. I support new park and recreation development when it's well thought out....what a bummer :(
  • by This is my Alter Location: Greenville on Jan 10, 2012 at 10:50 AM
    So many of you post your opinions here, which BTW, I think right on. Why don't you take your opinions to the city council meetings so they can be heard? The meetings are open to the public, and I'm sure the members don't read this board. This is YOUR tax money being spent. Stand up, get off this board and go loudly shout your opinions directly at the city council members. And really, what IS more important - a park or the crime issue that's currently taking Greenville by storm?
  • by Anonymous on Jan 10, 2012 at 09:20 AM
    You all are such fear mongers. Greenville does not scare me at all. I'm a skinny young white male and I have no problem walking around the westside at night. At worst someone will ask you if you want a prostitute or drugs but they have their own agenda, like robbing stores and restaurants, they dont want to bother with me and what I may or may not have in my pocket. Live a little Greenville, I never thought this city would be full of such wimps!
  • by joe Location: greenville on Jan 10, 2012 at 09:05 AM
    I can't help but giggle when I envision the "spray park." That should be nice.... And sanitary.. Plus this should really boost the local street drug industry. Should be much easier to score a nice rock or a reasonably priced date.....

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 136858603 - witn.com/a?a=136858603