Greenville Bicyclist Killed In Wreck

A man was killed early Friday morning riding his bicycle on a Greenville street.

Police say at this time no charges are pending against the driver that struck James Grice while he was on the bicycle. It happened around 3:20 a.m. on Mumford Road in front of the old Venter's grill.

Grice was transported to Pitt County Memorial Hospital were he was pronounced dead.

• by also Location: Greenville on Jan 1, 2012 at 01:21 PM
    If you care about these issues and want to make a difference instead of just gripping, show up to the city's Bike Ped Commission meeting on Wednesday night at 6pm and ask them to take some action to make things better. Their agenda has nothing about this killing...yet. Show up, participate, and make our government responsible for the public safety and welfare.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 1, 2012 at 05:48 AM
    America is a Christian nation. YEAH RIGHT. You wouldn't know it by reading some of these posts. I hope you CHRISTIANS are proud of yourselves.
      by 40some on Jan 1, 2012 at 10:24 AM in reply to
      Been my experience that when I foolishly risked my own life, I didn't really have an appreciation of it, and when it's gone, no amount of kind words and condolences are going to bring it back. So sit back and learn a thing or two from some comments that might not be the condolences and sad sobbing you think you should hear. Noone ever got my attention by sugar coating everything.
      by Cognac on Jan 1, 2012 at 11:05 AM in reply to
      As you obviousy have slept off "YOUR" hangover>
        by 40some on Jan 1, 2012 at 07:48 PM in reply to Cognac
        Quite some time ago.
  • by Jeff Location: Winterville on Dec 31, 2011 at 05:19 PM
    The streets of Greenville are dangerous at night. I have had some close calls with bicyclists who wear dark clothing and ride against the traffic with no lights or reflective gear. Sometimes you don't know they are there until it's too late. People think you see them. But often times we don't. My heart goes out to all those involved.
  • by Steven Location: Farmville on Dec 31, 2011 at 02:08 PM
    Not knowing how this gentleman was riding or what he was wearing, all I can do is speculate as to why charges were not pressed against the driver of the car that killed him. Assuming the GPD officer made the right call, the situation suggests to me there is a greater need for public awareness for bicyclists to ride safely by following the laws and rules of the road and for motorists to be aware and share the road with others. Working together we can save lives and ride/drive on the same roads. How about it WITN, care to work on some PSAs and help people ride safely in your viewing area? If so, contact the ecvelo cycling club, they'll work with you.
      by Jeff on Dec 31, 2011 at 05:23 PM in reply to Steven
      well said.
  • by come on man! on Dec 31, 2011 at 01:42 PM
    It was 3:20 am. Who rides a bike at 3:20 am?
      by Steve on Dec 31, 2011 at 05:19 PM in reply to come on man!
      I do. I commute to work via bicycle (go home at 03:00). I have lighting & reflective gear... been doing it for a year now, even in Chicago winter.
  • by Runner Girl Location: Greenville on Dec 31, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    While some pedestrians/bikers show a lack of common sense, there are many others who do exercise caution. As a runner, I try to wear a blinking light if I'm out in the dark (never at 3:20 a.m., by the way). I take great care to avoid being hit by a car. While I do have the right of way, I don't use that as an excuse for stupidity.
  • by bob on Dec 31, 2011 at 11:43 AM
    Bikes on the road are just one in a string of problems on Gville's roads. How about these people who think its ok to scoot along in their wheelchairs in the middle of the lane or road on 10th st? I mean, who's at fault if one of these people get hit? There's a perfectly good sidewalk right down the road, but no these people can't use that! They want to pretend their cars and want the same rights as if they were cars. What a joke man, I blow my horn everytime I pass one of these poeple and wonder to myself A: how have these people made it without being hit so far, B: what makes them think its alright to do that, & C: why doesn't the cops stop this from happeneing. I mean the freakin highway patrol staion is right down the road and with all the GVPD on that road, they just turn a blind eye. But oh yea they're out there doing the public good? Yea right, you wish!
      by Danny on Dec 31, 2011 at 03:52 PM in reply to bob
      Translation: "It's so HARD to share the road when I'm driving my CAR. I even have to slow down sometimes. It makes life so very, very difficult that I have to harass people for getting in my way. Other human beings using my road with a CAR deserve to be harassed. I'm so very entitled."
        by bob on Jan 1, 2012 at 11:42 AM in reply to Danny
        That's right Danny, I am entitled to drive on the road without fear of hitting people in wheelchairs, thank you for your mindless input
          by Anonymous on Jan 1, 2012 at 02:22 PM in reply to bob
          Entitlement ISSUE is more like it. You blow your horn at disabled people. What a big man. Do you get off on watching them flinch? Sick.
          by Danny on Jan 1, 2012 at 04:18 PM in reply to bob
          You could just pay attention. I'm sorry to hear that you're so afraid out there. Hope you don't get a scratch on your paint job.
      by Anonymous on Jan 1, 2012 at 02:21 PM in reply to bob
      "These people"? Entitled much?
  • by Anonymous on Dec 31, 2011 at 06:08 AM
    Why doesn't WITN give more information? Why no charges? To you people who say ban bicycles and pedestrians- bicycles and pedestrians have the same rights as you. Oh I know here comes the argument that we don't pay taxes. Hate to tell you yes I do. An to maria, sounds like a jealousy issue to me. A man has died here because he was hit by a car, watch your insensitive rants.
      by Anonymous on Jan 1, 2012 at 02:19 PM in reply to
      Were you drunk when you posted that? Maria offered prayers to the family. What jealousy? What rant?
  • by excuse me on Dec 31, 2011 at 05:41 AM
    WITN where is my post?
      by Anonymous on Dec 31, 2011 at 01:07 PM in reply to excuse me
      They just don't like you.
      by Anonymous on Jan 1, 2012 at 02:17 PM in reply to excuse me
      I guess you thought some moderator sits at the keyboard 24/7 with their finger on the button ready to approve every post the second it gets sent.
  • by excuse me on Dec 31, 2011 at 05:18 AM
    Why at 3:20 AM? Why not during DAYLIGHT hours where they can be easily seen? Sorry this happened, but common sense folks....use it!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 136452598 - witn.com/a?a=136452598