Greenville Finally Moving Forward With Second Walmart

Greenville is finally getting a second Walmart.

Developers say Thursday they purchased the site at East 10th Street and Portertown Road for over $5 million.

Jim Price, lead developer on the project, says the new Walmart will bring close to 700 full and part-time jobs to the area. He says construction should begin in a couple of weeks and they hope to open the new store next year.

The new store will face East 10th Street with a stoplight at that entrance. The city's other Walmart on Greenville Boulevard received a renovation last year.

Developers have been discussing the new store since 2009, but it's been delayed due to zoning requests and concerns over the added traffic and stoplight.

• by Fabulous Location: Greenville on Feb 28, 2012 at 12:13 PM
    Just what we need... more massive, generic-America stores. Sure jobs will be opened... while many others are lost as smaller stores close. I look forward to driving past more vacant stores and strip malls to the huge Walmart parking lot and cavernous building where I'll be mugged while I try to by a jar of baby food. Do we really need another one that is ~5 miles away from the first. There is value in creating a plan and sticking to it.
  • by Butters Location: Greenville on Feb 28, 2012 at 06:50 AM
    To the anti-Walmart crowd: If you think that the new Walmart has decreased the home values...think again!. Go to OPIS and check out the homes in Riverhills and all land near the new location
  • by Anonymous on Feb 27, 2012 at 05:33 AM
    Welcome to Greenville NC, the capital of strip malls, suburban sprawl, and government handout recipients. I wonder if the taxes that Walmart will generate will cover the government money that the employees will receive because of low wages and no benefits?
  • by Anonymous on Feb 25, 2012 at 02:16 PM
    You will know how you feel about it when you realize the traffic problems it is going to create.
  • by Jay Location: Williamston on Feb 25, 2012 at 11:41 AM
    Should have strongly recruited for a 2nd Target. Target attracts a better class of customers and it is proven that less crime happens around a Target than Walmart.
  • by Ppl smh on Feb 25, 2012 at 07:10 AM
    I live off of 264,but I rather go to the one in Washington bc it seems more quicker bc of the traffic.. Im happy with the decision.. What I don't understand why people got do much negative things to say!! If you don't like the store,don't shop there.. (plain & simple)) No one of us up here,flipping the bill.. Every time I get on WITN website someone is blaming the problem on Obama.. Grow up & do something about the problem,instead of pointing fingers!!
      by Billy on Feb 25, 2012 at 05:53 PM in reply to Ppl smh
      I hate to dissapoint you, but just about every employee at WalMart qualifies for government assistance such as free day care, free school lunches for their children, low cost housing, medicad, food stamps, etc. all at taxpayers expense.
  • by Mom and Pop on Feb 25, 2012 at 05:40 AM
    Thanks Cave-in Mercer!
  • by Jeff Location: Winterville on Feb 25, 2012 at 05:38 AM
    Growth and jobs are good. But I have noticed that with all of Walmart's expansions and forcing other companies out of business, it's a wash. I went to Aldi and got a week's worth of groceries for about half of what Walmart charges....and I was comparing Walmart's store brand to what I purchased.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 25, 2012 at 05:02 AM
    Good. Its in my neighborhood. Finally a Wal mart that isn't ghetto. I avoid the current one at all costs. This is a better side of town so hopefully it stays nice for awhile.
      by Gregory on Feb 25, 2012 at 07:09 AM in reply to
      It will only be a short while
  • by Anonymous on Feb 25, 2012 at 04:27 AM
    Hope it's better than the one they have now it definately needs some new management, really, go in there and look at shelves that have empty holes and then shelves that stuff if strewn about on it's pitiful

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 140322063 - witn.com/a?a=140322063