Middle School Students To Attend Classes At High School

Classes will resume May 2nd for Greene County school students after Saturday's tornado destroyed the county's middle school.

The school system says middle school and high school students will complete the final five weeks of class on a split schedule at Greene Central High School.

Middle school students will start classes at 7:30 a.m. and be dismissed at 12:10. The school day for high school students begins at 12:15 p.m. and end at 5:00 p.m.

The school system says more detailed information will be posted on the school websites.

Previous Story

There's no plan yet for what will happen to the 800 students at the Greene County Middle School in Snow Hill, a school destroyed by a tornado Saturday.

Greene County Schools Superintendent Dr. Patrick Miller says architects, building inspectors and structural engineers spent the day Monday trying to figure out what parts of the school are structurally sound, so employees can begin salvaging what they can from the building. Dr. Miller says so far, they've determined they'll be able to recover about 800 laptops, and say the students' cumulative records were saved.

Dr. Miller says the school system is working to figure out long term plans. "Give us another day or two and we'll be able to broadcast and communicate that plan and answer any questions that would result from the implementation of that plan."

Dr. Miller says all Greene County students are off this week because of the tornado damage, and next week because of spring break.

Nineteen buses were damaged, and a bus manufacturer is coming to figure out which ones can be salvaged and what needs to be done to fix them.

So far, Greene County has been loaned ten buses, eight from Lenoir County and two from Carteret County.

Previous Story:

More than 800 students aren't sure where they'll go to class after their middle school was destroyed from Saturday's tornado.

At Greene County Middle School in Snow Hill officials have canceled school for the entire week of April 18th. The following week is the regularly scheduled spring break. The school board hopes to have a plan in place when the students return on May 2nd.

Superintendent Patrick Miller says the school is a complete loss. The roof was torn off. The gymnasium was destroyed, and most of the windows were broken by the high winds. Many staff and faculty also will have no place to work until a solution is reached.

"Its just devastating I mean I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm a contractor and I get paid when I'm here at school, and now that the school's the way it is. I'm not sure what my status is," said school employee Tom Kelley.

Officials say about 19 buses were also damaged from the storm leaving officials with another problem how to get Greene County students back and forth.

PREVIOUS STORY:
After assessing the damage to Greene County Middle School the superintendent says the school is destroyed.

The school was in the direct line of tornadoes that blew through Greene County Saturday night.

School officials say 800 students attend the school.

The district is currently trying to determine how to proceed for the remainder of the year. We'll pass that information along as soon as we get it.

• by Alyssa Paterson Location: Ayden on May 1, 2011 at 01:42 PM
    I use to go to Gcms and i AM PLEASED that the school is gone for now because thier so much drama maybe going to the high school will make them learn to be against violance!
  • by High School Student on Apr 22, 2011 at 08:19 PM
    I am a high school student and I have a job after school every day. It is tragic that 800 students lost their school, but that doesn't mean that the high school should not be put in consideration. High school is much more important then middle school, many are applying and preparing for college and college is not free. So many of us already lost our belongings, it would be nice to at least keep our jobs. I really hope that something changes about this schedule because I see many problems with it.
  • by Student Location: GC on Apr 20, 2011 at 01:18 PM
    That is not right I work in the afternoon what can I do after 5:00. I wonder did they think about the high school student work after school. We should go to school at 7:30 to 12:10 not 12:15 to 5:00. I need my job to help pay bills and have money for myself. They should that immediately or do something.
  • by STUDENT Location: GC on Apr 20, 2011 at 09:02 AM
    I think the schedule is ok but they should change it after a few week because of student have to work
  • by parent on Apr 20, 2011 at 08:08 AM
    Do they consider that many high school students work to help pay the bills because their parents have lost high paying jobs for jobs paying mim. wage. Some of these same families lost everything in the storms don't make them lose their jobs too. Maybe the teachers from middle school could hold some type of daycare/study hall in mornings at Nation guard bdlg. then have class at high school in afternoon let high schoolers go in mornings.
  • by Student Location: GC on Apr 20, 2011 at 07:02 AM
    Change the schedule around I have to work
  • by just saying Location: grifton on Apr 20, 2011 at 06:42 AM
    @confused..yes we have a Grifton address, BUT we have permission thru the school board to attend GCMS. And yes, we will have to pay for his education in Greene Cty if he still attends the High School next year.
  • by lm Location: nc on Apr 19, 2011 at 09:02 PM
    What will happen for those children who are in middle school and only have one parent at home? Those children can't be left at home all afternoon while their parent works. That would be insane! I hope they figure this out completely while considering the working parents in their plans.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 19, 2011 at 08:19 PM
    I agree alot of high school students have jobs in the afternoon. Times should be switched.
  • by GCHS STUDENT Location: greene county on Apr 19, 2011 at 07:53 PM
    Middle School students will start school at 7:30 AM and will be dismissed at 12:10 PM. The school day will start at 12:15 PM and end at 5:00 PM for high school students. I work after school they should switch it around.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 120004629 - witn.com/a?a=120004629