Ayden Man Killed By Hurricane Identified; Town Cleanup Continues

There is new information about an Ayden man who was killed by Hurricane Irene.

Authorities say Tim Avery was found dead in his West College Street home early Sunday morning. A tree crushed the 51-year-old man while he was sitting in a chair in his home.

The town is still trying to recover from storm damage. West 3rd Street, or Highway 102 remains closed due to down power lines and trees.

Ayden residents are receiving a much-needed helping hand from a Georgia Christian group.

"Hears With Hands" has traveled with two trailers full of water, food, tarps and supplies to assist those affected by Hurricane Irene. The group will hand out items Tuesday at the old community center off 5th Street..

The Ayden Food Bank will open at noon at the Anointed One Church on Edge Road. The American Red Cross will serve serve hot meals from noon to one and then from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. at Ayden-Grifton High School.

Ayden Christian Care Center on West Avenue will open 8:00 a.m. Friday with a food bank.

• by Angela A Location: ayden on Sep 7, 2011 at 05:50 AM
    Michele, I was real sorry to hear that the Ayden man killed was your brother. I knew Tim and i thought that he was the nicest. God bless your family.
  • by Tracey Location: Hendersonville on Sep 5, 2011 at 09:44 AM
    Tim, my cousin, was a very kind soul. That could have been any of us. All we have is this moment. The family appreciates the kind words on this site. His sister was saddened by those who were flip about it. I suggest those of you who can't give support, find another place to scribble your thoughts. No one has time for you.
  • by Delores Location: Beaufort, NC on Aug 30, 2011 at 07:49 PM
    DITTO SADDENED...I COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER DEEPEST SYMPATHY
  • by Retired teacher Location: Ayden on Aug 30, 2011 at 07:00 PM
    Adam Mitchell and his staff have done a phenomenal job with cleanup and power restoration in Ayden. All of these folks have worked tirelessly to accomodate the citizens of Ayden. We are blessed to have such great leadership!!!
  • by Chief Sitting Bull Location: outer space on Aug 30, 2011 at 07:00 PM
    After traveling for many light years in pursuit of the dumbest place in our galaxy, I have beamed upon eastern North Carolina, and the people who post on these comment sites.
      by Employee`s of AOC on Sep 1, 2011 at 12:23 PM in reply to Chief Sitting Bull
      Tim was a former employee here and a great friend. He will truely be missed by many. Our prayers are going out to the Avery family. May god bless and keep them during this tragic loss.
  • by Saddened on Aug 30, 2011 at 03:41 PM
    I do not know this family, but I wish to send my deepest sympathies to all who knew and loved this man. I saw his Father on the news tonight, and my heart just ached as I saw the pain in his eyes and heard it in his voice. I pray the peace that only God can grant during such a painful time will fall on this family.
  • by Anonymous on Aug 30, 2011 at 02:52 PM
    "Hears with Hands"? What is that... food for the hearing impaired? Typo, hello! Couldn't there be a separate story for all that from the one about the poor man that was killed????
  • by BJ Location: Washington on Aug 30, 2011 at 02:42 PM
    Totally agree. Just sit back and wait for hand outs. I am so tired of working just so the gov't can give it away to the lazy people. Take responsibility, I purchased ice to put my food in.
  • by Flossie Location: Tarboro on Aug 30, 2011 at 02:13 PM
    @Trying to help.. please respect this victim's family and create a page to make your comments.. GROW UP!!
  • by speak for yourself Melvin on Aug 30, 2011 at 01:51 PM
    Not everyone has the money to replace a refridgerator full of food.The government has programs for things like this and since I pay my taxes I WILL be taking advantage of them!If you can replace the food yourself then good for you but don't try to make people feel like they're doing something bad because they NEED to take advantage of a program that they ARE paying for!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 128661433 - witn.com/a?a=128661433