Residents of one Kinston neighborhood were allowed to return to their homes after a natural gas leak Wednesday morning.
Kinston Public Safety spokesman Woody Spencer says the leak on College Street was fixed around 11:55 a.m. He says a crew from Lane Construction broke the line at College and Warren streets around 10: 30 a.m.
The 1-1/2 to 2 inch line was repaired by Piedmont Natural Gas.
Spencer says five homes in the 1100 block of College Street were evacuated as a precaution. A nearby nursing home was placed on standby, but was never evacuated.
No one was injured in the gas leak.
Kinston police have evacuated a block of College Street because of a natural gas leak.
Lenoir County Emergency Services Director Roger Dail says the leak happened around 10:45 a.m. in the 1100 block of College Street.
Dail says the leak was caused by construction at the corner of College and Warren streets. Piedmont Natural Gas crews are on the scene.
A nearby nursing has not been evacuated. There are 168 residents at Harmony Hall Rehab & Nursing Center where administrators say they are standby in case an evacuation is ordered.
Stay with WITN News and witn.com for more on this developing story.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.