GUC: Current Bill Cycle Is Coldest Ever

Near record-cold weather has people cranking up the heat and paying higher electric bills. Greenville Utilities says this bill cycle will be the coldest one in it's history.

Greenville Utilities says customers' bills have increased 10-15% compared to this time last year. Energy Services Director Andy Yakim says it's not the washing machine, dishwasher, or holiday lights running up the bill- the heat accounts for 60% of your bill. Yakim says by keeping your thermostat set lower than 68 degrees you will save money. That will save you save 3-5 percent for each degree under 68.

For no charge, Greenville Utilities Energy Services will come to your home and assess how you can cut your bill.

• by Bee Location: G'ville on Dec 25, 2010 at 08:40 AM
    It just makes sense that during extreme weather (either hot or cold) that the utility bill is going to reflect that. GUC isn't making any money off of you they are providing what you need ... electricity. Keep your temp at a reasonable number and put on more clothes if you have to. Be glad you can pay your bills and have a home, many people don't. Remember this is the season to be thankful for your blessings.
  • by James Location: Podunk on Dec 24, 2010 at 04:16 PM
    I LOVE my wood stove!
  • by Anonymous on Dec 24, 2010 at 01:19 PM
    68? you all must be rich, try 60 and layer on more clothes and see how much you save.
  • by Disgruntled Location: Ayden on Dec 24, 2010 at 01:11 PM
    In a northern climate state, an utility company will offer their customers a plan that will enable them to pay the same rate every month based on the past years usage. In North Carolina, with hot summers, it would work. When the weather is cold, keep the thermostat on 68 degrees, and put on warmer clothers. When the weather is warm, keep the thermostat on 72 degrees, and remove clothing. It is only common sense. Oh, I forgot, common sense is very uncommon.
  • by Ken Location: Greenville on Dec 24, 2010 at 11:40 AM
    Good point Dave. I keep my thermostat on 68. Sometimes I'll bump it up to 70. This is the time of year I get to show off my sweatshirt collection! :)
  • by Dave Location: In a one horse open sleigh on Dec 24, 2010 at 08:35 AM
    Why are you people turning up your thermostat to 80 degrees for? Geez, room temp is 75!
  • by George Location: Greenville on Dec 24, 2010 at 07:47 AM
    If your heating bill is too high then inspect your home for drafts and plug them up, plan on adding more insulation to your home, here is the cheapest option of all...LOWER YOUR THERMOSTAT AND PUT A SWEATER OR SWEATSHIRT ON OVER THAT FLIMSY T-SHIRT YOUR WEARING. That's what they do in cold climates and it works pretty well too. It's an unusually cold winter folks so don't act surprised because you have a high heating bill. Do something to lower your bill then the demand will go down and so will the cost.
  • by what to do? Location: gville on Dec 24, 2010 at 07:11 AM
    I live in a mobile home, I could not afford stick built house, and now I will never be able to afford it. My utility bill runs runs twice my house (trailer) payment. I keep my thermostat set at 65 and freeze my tail off!!! I HATE THIS $450.OO FOR ONE MONTH, and the normal bill each month avgs. $250.00. LIKE I SAID , With the prices I am paying for Utilities, I will never be able to afford a down payment for of house. The Really Sad thing is, besides the money being lost, that a NICE HOUSE WOULD NOT COST WHAT I PAY NOW.
  • by joh Location: greenville on Dec 24, 2010 at 07:10 AM
    well the global warming people came out in november and told us that 2010 was one of the warmist on record pity the forgot to wait untill the end of December but then they are all in Cancun at a two week meeting ??????????????????????/
  • by Jerry Location: Farmville on Dec 24, 2010 at 06:15 AM
    I moved to Farmville to get away from the crime in Greenville. After moving here I can really appreciate the service the GUC provided. The utility providers in Farmville (Pitt Greene Electric & Bell Arthur Water) provide some of the worst service I have ever experienced & the rates are higher in some cases. Face it, the rates are going up everywhere, it's simple supply and demand. GUC provides quality 24 hour service & I miss it.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112408969 - witn.com/a?a=112408969