GPD Prepared For Weekend Of ECU Homecoming, Halloween Celebrations

While Halloween is when we expect to see some scary characters coming out at night, Greenville could have a whole weekend of some.

Traditionally, Halloween brings huge crowds downtown for the night. This year, the city will have homecoming weekend starting Friday until Saturday for the football game then wrapping up the weekend on Monday night with Halloween. Greenville Police say they will increase their presence Friday into Saturday with check points for voluntary searches.

"We want them to understand, we're down there to enforce safety. When we ask people to do something, it's for their own good as well as the good of others that are down there," said GPD Spokesman Sgt. Carlton Williams.

Sgt. Williams says even if your costume is of a pirate, police officer or axe murderer, do not bring anything that resembles a weapon or can be used as a weapon to the downtown area Friday night through Monday.

• by Night Owl on Oct 28, 2011 at 02:56 PM
    I have an idea. Why doesn't WITN come downtown at 2am to see the real issues downtown instead of showing film from 11pm when most people are still drinking at they crib? Might want to bring body armor though. It would be nice to show the public what ACTUALLY goes on down there.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 28, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    I heard ECU's players are going to dress up like a football team this year, LOL
  • by honest hard truth on Oct 28, 2011 at 07:44 AM
    More stuff going on at ecu so the rest of town, including neighborhoods,malls,restaurants have no police coverage? typical Greenville! ECU is a university not needed! G-ville does not have the infastructure police etc.. to deal with all the drunk partiers plus all the kids from enc that are cheated from having a good college experience because they never make it further than G-vegas. Think about it,you know I am right!I know I will be villified but its just a matter of time before the drunken tailgaters or halloweeners (both because of ecu) take things way to far and embarass the entire region in a way it will never recover from. This stuff ain't funny its DANGEROUS! before you even say what ecu means to g-ville it means crime,drunkeness and debauchery! some remember G-ville before the massive growth of ecu , quiet,low crime community a nice place to raise kids and live. Now its a place to get out of! by the way a person could and did make a good living without having to worry about a car jacking, you could eat at a restaurant without worrying about being robbed . I could go on and on but I needed to vent 1 last time before I leave eastern nc for good and leave it to the thugs. Yes, crime is everywhere but folks if this area goes downhill as much in the next 5 years as it has the last 5 it will be scarier than any halloween spook or horror movie!
      by OMG on Oct 28, 2011 at 08:15 AM in reply to honest hard truth
      Please leave
      by Anonymous on Oct 28, 2011 at 08:29 AM in reply to honest hard truth
      Ever consider expediting your move out of ENC?
      by nightrain on Oct 28, 2011 at 09:12 AM in reply to honest hard truth
      It's not the ECU students that are carjacking, robbing people, etc. It's the one's that can't get in, or never cared about going to college, that are the problem. Actually, you sound like you're bitter about not being accepted into ECU. Yes, please leave.
      by really on Oct 28, 2011 at 09:13 AM in reply to honest hard truth
      my family has been here for years. my parents grew up here and went to ecu. i chose to go to ecu. from living in other parts of the country the crime and debauchery you are talking about is the same that you find in any college town. my family and other families that have been in greenville on and off and continuously over the years apparently do not share your opinions
      by Anonymous on Oct 28, 2011 at 09:16 AM in reply to honest hard truth
      greenville would have better funding for more police if they were to stop spending on specialized policing such as ALE
      by Honest hard lies!! on Oct 28, 2011 at 12:37 PM in reply to honest hard truth
      You do understand tailgating and Halloween parties occur at other universities don't you or are you just too stupid and narrow minded to see that? Take your ___ back to where you came from. ENC definitely doesn't need people like you!!! GOOD RIDDANCE!! BTW I bet you're moving to Crapel Hill, land of liberal fools, even more thugs in the school than walking the 'skreets', and a police force who couldn't stop a crime if they even wanted to!! ECU is needed and the history of the university proves that to be correct. What is not needed is people like you.
        by honest hard truth on Oct 28, 2011 at 02:59 PM in reply to Honest hard lies!!
        my ! I have rustled some feathers if you could read you would realize I am from here btw I graduated from ECU! thats why I know its the truth , yes other schools have parties but not like this place! I am not moving instate, I am leaving this state period! I was born and raised here ,went to school here and the term going to ___ in a basket was made for what has happened to enc the last 10-15 years and yes ecu the rep. of the school is awful,you know it and you know why! see ya! enjoy your thug buddies (packing the u-haul) BYE! BYE!
        by honest hard truth on Oct 28, 2011 at 03:16 PM in reply to Honest hard lies!!
        I went to ecu and graduated in spite of that I have been successful. I got tired of telling people why I went there and that I was not some sort of drunk over and over again because of the bad rep of the place, frankly I would have been better off not going to ecu period! now I am gone for good bye! good luck enc is going to need it the way this area is declining!
  • by EMS on Oct 28, 2011 at 07:32 AM
    It will be, "Hey ya'll watch this" then we are called.
      by Wow on Oct 28, 2011 at 10:22 AM in reply to EMS
      So sorry you have to get up from eating, playing cards, and listening to Pirate radio to do your job.
  • by Pirate Fan on Oct 28, 2011 at 07:16 AM
    Going tailgating and to the game Saturday. Is there anywhere to tailgate if you don't have a pass?
  • by Yep on Oct 28, 2011 at 07:10 AM
    According to the headline ECU is not prepared...just GPD?
      by huh? on Oct 28, 2011 at 08:20 AM in reply to Yep
      According to your comment you is ignorant
  • by Anonymous on Oct 28, 2011 at 04:52 AM
    In other words, 97% of the city will be on their own this weekend. Not that this is news.
      by Oh hush! on Oct 28, 2011 at 08:19 AM in reply to
      No matter where you are in Greenville there is a cop 5 minutes or less from you. Relax!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 132591613 - witn.com/a?a=132591613