GFD, GUC Training For Gas, Electric Emergencies

By: April Davis
By: April Davis

As we were tragically reminded Thursday, gas leaks can be dangerous, even deadly, and firefighters take them seriously.
We still don't know the exact cause of death of a gas company worker who died in Craven County Thursday, but emergency responders say utility workers are trained to handle gas leaks to protect themselves and the public, and they say there are things you need to know to stay safe.

In fact the Greenville Fire Department happens to be in training on it this week. People from Greenville Utilities are at the station, meeting with fire fighters to teach them how to handle gas and electric emergencies. They say the rest of us need to be informed too.

"Know what utilities you have in your residence or business. Know what is being supplied there. And then know what the dangers are of those utilities," said Greenville Fire Captain Brock Davenport.

LP and natural gas have odors to let you know when they're leaking. If you smell that rotten egg smell, Captain Davenport says get out of the area immediately and then call for help. He also says it's a good idea to have a carbon monoxide detector in your home or business if you have LP or natural gas.These will alert you if the air quality becomes unsafe.

Firefighters say gas leaks are so dangerous, even they don't rush in to stop them. Instead, they create safe zones around the leak and let the utility experts go in and solve the problem.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 128047648 - witn.com/a?a=128047648
Gray Television, Inc.