Funeral For Walmart Greeter Planned For Sunday

According to the Wilson Memorial Service website 71-year-old Rochelle Pender's funeral will be held Sunday at 7 p.m and visitation will follow.

Wilson Memorial Service is located at 2811 Fieldstream Dr.

Wilson police say Pender was a Walmart greeter. They say she was injured on Wednesday following the chase of a shoplifting suspect. Pender was transported to the hospital, but later died on Friday.

Police continue to investigate.

Previous Story:

A Walmart greeter has died following the chase of a shoplifting suspect, according to Wilson police.

Police report they were called to a shoplifting in progress at the Walmart on Forest Hills Road Wednesday afternoon, just before 3.

They say they were advised the shoplifting suspect, 23-year-old Joshua Max Lambert of Wilson, had been detained but was fighting with Walmart loss prevention employees.

Wilson police say employees reported that a greeter, 71-year-old Rochelle Pender, had been knocked down during the chase of Lambert.

They report that's how Pender was hurt. There is no word on the specific injuries. Pender was transported to Wilson Medical Center then airlifted to Pitt County Memorial Hospital. She died Friday.

Lambert has been charged with two counts of simple assault. The investigation is ongoing, and there is no word on the possibility of additional charges.

• by 2ndstpirate Location: 2nd street on May 24, 2011 at 06:41 AM
    Why are they not charging Lambert with something related to the death of this woman? This article makes it sound like his actions promoted her death.
  • by Walmart Customer on May 23, 2011 at 06:47 PM
    Ms. Pender WAS NOT involved in the chase. She was standing at the door, moving carts, just doing her job. Wrong place, wrong time. Bless and pray for the family.
  • by Tish Location: Farmivlle on May 23, 2011 at 05:50 PM
    I'm sorry for this family loss & I hope whoever is responible for this will get caught,I go to walmart alot & have met some nice greeters,my ? is are they suppose to go after shoplifters or let security know by walkie talkie or something cause i do be seein people with them, I hope walmart help her family the way she was tryin to help their business by savin them a buck or two.....
  • by Tish Location: Farmivlle on May 23, 2011 at 05:50 PM
  • by Theresa Location: Williamston on May 23, 2011 at 02:04 PM
    When I read this story, I cried. I do not know any of the family but I would like to tell them how sorry I am for their loss. She looks like such a beautiful and kind lady. Please know there are people out here crying with you and praying for you.
  • by dee on May 23, 2011 at 06:31 AM
    This lady must really loved her job because at 71 I would never have involved myself in that chase at all. God bless her family.
  • by West Florida Grad Location: Greenville, N.C. on May 22, 2011 at 07:45 PM
    Walmart as an employer should have policies in place for situations such as this. Loss prevention is at fault. Anyone who buys any thing from Walmart has already paid for the theft of merchandise within the store. Walmart has theft built in to their prices. The aggressive nature of the Walmart culture and their business model shines on right before us all. Falling prices at any cost. This cost an employee life ( who was probally was working with no benifits). Walmart contiues to suck the life out its vendors, their employees, and every town they open a store in. Death does not bother them.
  • by Anonymous on May 22, 2011 at 07:12 PM
    who ever says for jo to shut up needs to u must be part of the cause of this ladies death so god bless u
  • by RdoubleD on May 22, 2011 at 06:02 PM
    Someone please track down this guy and stick a lighbulb up his ignorant ......cant beleive this lady leaves the world and that idiot is still walking around. Piece of garbage.
  • by April on May 22, 2011 at 05:25 PM
    It is a SHAME that this sweet lady died over a chase of a shoplifter. I am SURE whatever they were stealing is NOTHING compared to the life she lost. I understand you can't let people steal but really this time they should've just let it GO!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 122359824 - witn.com/a?a=122359824