Four Kinston Restaurants Close

A new report says four restaurants have closed in Kinston so far this month.

The Kinston Free Press says the Pizza Inn on North Heritage St. is now closed. Already in August, The Breakfast Nook, Capone's and Smokey's also shut their doors.

The Kinston-Lenoir Chamber of Commerce is running a campaign called "Think Lenoir County..." encouraging people to shop and eat locally, which keeps tax dollars in the community.

• by smitty Location: Ruskin FL on Aug 26, 2011 at 08:08 AM
    I was born and raised in Kinston NC. I just can't believe all the comments I am reading. I wanted to take my daughter to see my hometown but if all I am reading is true I certainly do not want to go back there. Not even to visit.
  • by Ryan on Aug 26, 2011 at 03:37 AM
    My wife and I drove through there once going to Greenville from Jacksonville and stopped at Wal Mart and then Arby's that is right there. Didn't like it one bit. Driving back the next day was worse. We had to stop for gas and ended up stopping at some little gas station in a run down part of town. The only other time we've stopped is to see the CSS Neuse. But I have told my wife that she is not to go to Kinston (or Greenville) for ANY reason, even to see and Indians game. It's not worth it.
  • by Southern Hospitality on Aug 25, 2011 at 09:46 PM
    Based on so many comments that I see on post it seems that people not from the south are correct in their assumption that many people here are racist people who go to church every Sunday and then go out and judge their neighbor. Maybe when they start comparing "you people" to "in breeders" and "child molesters" you will think before hit the publish button. Please save your negativity for those post where the person isn't a person of color, because the pics I see for child molesters are people of all colors
  • by Dave Location: Morehead on Aug 25, 2011 at 12:16 PM
    What do you think would happen when you try to run a business in a town where 50% of the population lives in low income housing. Hmmm..
  • by Angela Beard Location: Kinston on Aug 25, 2011 at 09:27 AM
    I have lived here yr now this month, I am not happy here, and I think the major problem besides crime is the electric bill, how the heck do they expect anyone to stay and raise a family. As soon as we can we are gone! This has been the worst mistake made ever.I can see why restaurants are closing. People are already having a hard time do to the economy situation, so when you factor the electric bill and cost of liveing without job security here it wont survive. Crime will naturally continue to rise. I see brand new chargers that these policeman drive and wonder what the heck are they doing to save this town, thats just my opinion.
  • by Angela Location: Kinston on Aug 24, 2011 at 12:24 PM
    Okay, for the majority of some posts I can agree except the ones that have downplayed Kinston as a whole. If Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd to King Street is all you ever see as you pass through Kinston, then I can see your point. At night is looks like everybody has nothing else to do but ride there bicycles and walk in front of traffic just to be jerks. You almost never see a police car there. The officals need to add at least 5 more officers per shift, so that there presence is known and this crime rate can get reduced. Yes it will cost alot of money, but its costed alot more to build the new jail which was badly needed. It too will be full to capasity within 6 months of opening day if more officers are not hired. As for the baseball team, it really didn't matter to the children that got to the games if the Indians won or not, it was thrill of mommy, daddy, or whoever taking time out to take them to see a minor legue game. For most kids this is as close to "Hollywood" they will ever get. The restaurants just need better customer service especially the drive thrus's. They need to hire out of work adults that have had any form of custer service experience that would really appreciate the job instead of some of these teenagers that only care about a paycheck, griping about their jobs, and doing just enough work to say that they have done something. I have lived here on the south side of the county for 30 years and I can't complain. Southern hospitality is what you will find on this side of the river. When the City of Kinston goes almost bankrupt that is when the people will finally stop listening to the "money folks" and start making sound financial decisions to turn Lenoir County's fate around.
  • by mike Location: k-town on Aug 24, 2011 at 07:05 AM
    Lavon, you are right about some stuff with the Harvey's but you are severely wrong about the crime i live on mitchell st in kinston and its nothing but gangs shooting cops drugs sold in front our house and scared for our children to even go out to play this is bs and you know it so dont blame everyone else for kinston failure whrn this is a very big part of it infact come stay with us for 2 weeks and i promise you would change your mind thugs and criminals are the root cause if k-town demise we need to go to marshall law here
  • by aj Location: kinston on Aug 24, 2011 at 01:25 AM
    I grew up in New Bern & I used 2 think that Kinston was boring and ugly in general, but getting 2 know the place its got a lot of Family activities,nice parks and yes it does got some problems but it stays on the other side of the "tracks" literally. I dont understand y If we ALL have the same opportunities for excelling,some people choose wrong, & then they r like.. Y Y Y , but anyways when It come restaurants some places r nasty and need to b closed. by the way Kings bbq is good but aint got nothing on more's in new bern. over all Kinston is on the Way...
      by kinston on Aug 24, 2011 at 11:52 AM in reply to aj
      you are an idiot! there are NO FAMILY activities in kinston. iTs all geared toward the bingo palors people over 40. that, besides the crime rate is what is killing kiston. Been to the theater lately? the police now are present when it is open. The Galaxy... is just a place for the gangs to fight all weekend. The "clubs" r just waiting for the next gunshot to ring out.
  • by Lavon Location: Goldsboro on Aug 23, 2011 at 09:55 PM
    I'll be glad when Kings closes down. What a filthy place to eat..
  • by Kingkiller Location: Wilmington on Aug 23, 2011 at 05:50 PM
    If Neuse Sports Shop was'nt such a great place for the Sportsman..... I'd never go to Kinston again.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 128233033 - witn.com/a?a=128233033