Funeral Plans Announced For Former Rocky Mount Mayor

Funeral plans have been announced for the man who led Rocky Mount as mayor for more than three decades.

The funeral for Fred Turnage is scheduled for 11 a.m. Wednesday at Lakeside Baptist Church. His obituary says the family will receive friends from 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, also at Lakeside Baptist Church.

Turnage died Sunday after battling pancreatic cancer. He was 75.

Previous Story

Flags are flying at half-mast at Rocky Mount's city hall after Sunday's death of former Mayor Fred Turnage.

Turnage, who was mayor for 34 years died after battling cancer. He was 75 years old.

Turnage was elected as mayor in 1973 and served until 2007, when he decided not to seek a tenth term. Prior to serving as mayor, he served on the Rocky Mount City Council for four years.

The Rocky Mount native was known across the state and was former president of the North Carolina League of Municipalities.

• by Mark Carson Location: Bath on Aug 1, 2011 at 07:30 PM
    Terribly sad news. I lived in Rocky Mount for 43 years, until 2000, and knew Fred well. He was a great man of integrity. Rocky Mount really hasn't been the same since he left office. He will be greatly missed.
  • by Ron Location: Goldsboro N C on Aug 1, 2011 at 06:14 PM
    I think Fred was ROCKY MOUNT he worked to bring the city together from both sides of the tracks he is the definitation of what a leader was. REST in PEACE
  • by Renee Location: Eastern NC on Aug 1, 2011 at 11:41 AM
    Rest in peace Mr. Turnage. My prayers are with the Turnage family and the City of Rocky Mount at this time. This is a great loss. I had the pleasure of working with him and knowing him personally for the past three years. I consider it an honor and a blessing! One of the very best men I have ever known.
  • by Curious Location: Plymouth on Aug 1, 2011 at 10:08 AM
    I was raised in Rocky Mount and when my Father died in 1975 Mr. Turnage was at his funeral. For this I will always have fond memories and great respect for him. Rest in Peace Mr. Mayor.
  • by Bill Location: Rocky Mount on Aug 1, 2011 at 04:43 AM
    My family moved to Rocky Mount from Washington, NC in 1975 and I had read about Fred Turnage as mayor in the local paper but did not know him. My car gave out 1 day at a very busy intersection and would not move. Drivers were coming by and blowing their horns but 1 man stopped his car, took off his coat and helped me push my car off the street into a vacant lot to get it out of traffic. As I was thanking him he introduced himself to me as Fred Turnage. I told him I was new to Rocky Mount and asked him if he were the mayor and he said yes. That is just 1 example of the goodness of Fred Turnage. Rocky Mount has lost a very fine man and we are better off for having had his leadership as mayor for all these years. Thanks Fred for all you did for Rocky Mount.
      by MICHELLE on Aug 1, 2011 at 08:08 AM in reply to Bill
      That's such a great story about Mayor Turnage. I grew up in Rocky Mount and never had the opportunity to meet Mayor Turnage.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 126506253 - witn.com/a?a=126506253