Former Greenville Mom, Children Die In Georgia Fire

A Greenville family is mourning the loss of three members who died in a Georgia house fire.

Nordalie Douglas and her two children moved last August from Greenville to Columbus, Georgia.

Douglas, along with Zakoya Bankston, 10, and Mackayla Gulley, 6, died when their Columbus home burned early Tuesday morning. Pitt County Schools say when they lived in Greenville both girls attended Ridgewood Elementary School.

Authorities say it appears all three died from smoke inhalation. Investigators are still trying to determine what started the fire, and have sent fire debris to the state crime lab.

The family here in Greenville is trying to set up a memorial fund to help with the funeral expenses. If you want to help you can make donations through Roundtree Family Mortuary & Cremation Service on North Greene Street in Greenville.

The funerals are expected to be held next Friday in Greenville.

• by CO-WORKER Location: GREENVILLE on Aug 23, 2011 at 12:55 AM
    To the Douglas Family...please know that you are in our hearts and prayers. Although your hearts are heavy right now, just know that God is still in control. Weaping may endure for a night, but Joy cometh in the morning. Naidalyn, your loss is our loss and we are praying for you and your Family.
  • by DeAnna on Aug 20, 2011 at 03:57 PM
    Sending prays for the family. Hope that they find some peace in knowing that these 3 souls are now in a better place, and God gives them the strength to make it thur their time of grief.
  • by brokenhearted w/ tears Location: Greenville on Aug 20, 2011 at 01:15 AM
    lost for words... praying for the family... praying that god grants you comfort in your time of bereavement... <3
  • by Simone Location: Greenville on Aug 19, 2011 at 06:49 PM
    My heart goes out to the family. I went to school with Nordalee. She really was a sweet person. We had regular conversations in class (she sat next to me) and we helped each other with assignments. I am just so shocked by this. My thoughts and prayers are with the family during this difficult time.
  • by Praying on Aug 19, 2011 at 03:04 PM
    Our prayers for the family and close frinds of this tragedy. May their souls rest in peace with Jesus!
  • by concerned on Aug 19, 2011 at 02:37 PM
    Did the husband/father get out safely?
      by Mom on Aug 21, 2011 at 10:25 AM in reply to concerned
      Sounds as if the husband was not in the picture. My sincere condolences to the family.
  • by Kellie Location: Greenville on Aug 19, 2011 at 01:37 PM
    My heart broke when I read this. May God bless this family. So sorry for your loss.
  • by dm Location: wsh on Aug 19, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    May GOD bless.
  • by Anonymous on Aug 19, 2011 at 11:18 AM
    Smoke alarms are dirt cheap. It's the smoke inhalation that gets you first. You can order a pair from Ebay and they will be brought to you. Have five in my home, one in my attic and one in my garage.
      by But... on Aug 19, 2011 at 01:44 PM in reply to
      Consider this: maybe they didn't have access to a computer, or a credit card to purchase online, or many other reasons. Don't blame - pray for their family and all the things they will be going through.
      by Douglas on Aug 19, 2011 at 05:21 PM in reply to
      We understand your passion, but for three lives to have been lost? I pray that you never have to feel that kind of pain, no matter the circumstances. I pray you have a blessed day.
      by Teresa on Aug 19, 2011 at 07:41 PM in reply to
      How would the alarms help her and the kids now. This statement is lame. Think first before you post. Just pray for the family members whose heart is heavy.
      by Michelle on Aug 20, 2011 at 03:43 AM in reply to
      Maybe she had smoke alarms and maybe they are heavy sleepers. You don't know, so don't assume cause you know what it means when you assume don't you
        by Anonymous on Aug 20, 2011 at 08:18 PM in reply to Michelle
        Because I could sleep through World War III, have three loud smoke alarms around my bedroom door. All pointed at me. If there's smoke in my home, I'll know it.
  • by concern Location: pitt on Aug 19, 2011 at 10:35 AM
    that is terrible, my heart goes out to the family

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 128075783 - witn.com/a?a=128075783