Code Purple Air Alert Friday

Air quality officials have issued a Code Purple advisory for very unhealthy air quality in Manteo and mainland Dare County on Thursday and Friday as smoke from the Dare County wildfire drifts toward the north and northeast.

This is the first stand-alone Code Purple advisory that has been issued because of the Pains Bay Wildfire. Code Purple, or very unhealthy air quality, is the highest alert level.

In a press release from the North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources (NCDEN), officials say residents from mainland Dare County to Manteo, Elizabeth City and the northern Outer Banks could experience unhealthy air quality, and people are advised to avoid or reduce prolonged or heavy exertion outdoors if they can see and smell smoke.

Code Orange conditions, or air quality that is unhealthy for sensitive groups, could occur in all or parts of Camden, Currituck, Dare, Hyde, Pasquotank and Tyrrell counties, according to NCDEN.

Fine particles can penetrate deeply into the lungs and be absorbed into the bloodstream, causing or aggravating heart and lung diseases. Persons most susceptible to particle pollution include those with heart and respiratory conditions, older adults and young children. Symptoms of exposure to high particle levels include: irritation of the eyes, nose and throat; coughing; phlegm; chest pain or tightness; shortness of breath and asthma attacks.

• by high school student on Jun 17, 2011 at 07:40 PM
    I remember the first week this fire started. I staying after school for an EOC review session with some friends. When we went back to class to start the session the air was perfectly fine. 30-40 minutes later we left and the air was so smoky you could only see about 30 feet in front of you. The bad part about it was our 3rd period teacher had showed us a Holocaust movie and some of the "not so smart" students thought the smoke was from burning humans. Anyway just thought I'd share that story.
  • by Sam Location: Kitty Hawk on Jun 17, 2011 at 12:02 PM
    First I want to say I wish the best for you both Milton and hope this all goes away soon. Second, I had to go to Columbia for some business not long ago and it's just unbearable to breathe that air.
  • by wooduck Location: beaufort on Jun 17, 2011 at 02:34 AM
    have been hanging wet curtains, towels,ect. sometimes tying wet bandana over nose and mouth to help w/ smoke. any others w/ resp. issues have any other tips? air filter doesn't seem effective re smell.
  • by Milton Location: Columbia on Jun 16, 2011 at 10:34 PM
    Please send out as many smoke alerts as your station possibly can , It seems as though, You are the only one that Cares about Manteo, & Little OLD Columbia,NC. My wife & I are Both Not able to travel or Even go out of our house with the smoke around. We watch WITN From morning Until Midnight ,trying to find out the latest on the Fire & Smoke. Even though I am on oxygen,My wife has acute asma attacks, If We were caught in it for a prolonged time ,It would Simply KILL US. So Please Keep those updates coming as often as possible.!!! Thanks. Milton Brickhouse,Columbia
      by Mike on Jun 17, 2011 at 03:00 AM in reply to Milton
      Hope the best for you both. When ours was at it's highest in Onslow I was scared to death about my daughter who has asthma. We could smell it and see a slight haze in the air. We used a room humidifier for her at night just as a preemptive strike. Watch your health. Mike
        by Milton on Jun 17, 2011 at 10:02 AM in reply to Mike
        Thanks Mike , May God Bless, Milton
      by Anonymous on Jun 17, 2011 at 03:29 AM in reply to Milton
      Suck it up & get outta the house. What you gonna spend the rest of your lives stuck inside?
        by Milton on Jun 17, 2011 at 09:59 AM in reply to
        If it means life or not, Yes I will have to stay in the house, YOU Inconsiderate, NO NAME BEAST.! I hope you Never go through what We are . Lots of luck , You WILL NEED IT in the Future.!!!!! Milton B.
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Jun 17, 2011 at 04:45 AM in reply to Milton
      I sympathize Milton. My family has a small, one-room capacity air purifier. They come in different sizes and use hepa filters. Maybe someone can buy one and bring it to you. Your local fire department might be able to help you, given your situation. I'd call and ask, and offer to pay for it. They can be expensive, but well worth it.
        by Milton on Jun 17, 2011 at 08:02 PM in reply to Formerly O.L.I.
        Thanks O.L.I. You are so kind & Considerate. We also have a 1 room Hunter filter, but the filter is Very expensive. I have tried to clean it. It,s 3 years old and The filter Is about seen it,s best days,But it helps. inside. I also opened the air handler & blocked off all the air coming in from the outside. When your 71 years old ,Everything you can do helps. Thanks Again for your concern , God Bless, Milton,B.
      by James on Jun 17, 2011 at 05:41 PM in reply to Milton
      Here is a link to firehttp://www.dfr.state.nc.us/fire_control/sit_report.htm updates. http://www.inciweb.org/incident/2218/ Ground fire continues to be the major player here. Crews are pumping 150-175 million gallons of water a day to try and extinguish the ground fire which covers around 12000 acres. Pumps are running 24/7
  • by Callitlike i seeit Location: MH on Jun 16, 2011 at 05:58 PM
    This can only mean the smoke must be showing up in Raleigh ?!?!!!
      by Oooh, That Was Good! on Jun 16, 2011 at 11:19 PM in reply to Callitlike i seeit
      I liked that cut...it had flavor and a bit of sting to it.
  • by jerry Location: manteo on Jun 16, 2011 at 04:35 PM
    Mother nature started it, and mother nature is going to have to put it out, if we ever get any rain.
  • by Anonymous on Jun 16, 2011 at 03:50 PM
    Lightning started it
  • by Anonymous on Jun 16, 2011 at 01:27 PM
    They better add Pamlico to that list. My head has been pounding ever since that fire has started. I can't understand why they do not add Pamlico. We see, and smell that smoke everyday. Who started it? They should be fined.
      by Outer Banks Resident on Jun 16, 2011 at 02:44 PM in reply to
      The fire was offically started by Lightning so blame Mother Nature. Per The National Park Service
        by Frank Sinatra on Jun 16, 2011 at 09:53 PM in reply to Outer Banks Resident
        I say arrest her she has been up to no good for years.
          by Bush Is To Blame on Jun 17, 2011 at 09:39 PM in reply to Frank Sinatra
          He had control of the weather. Remember Katrina? We need to re-elect Bush so he can begin controlling the weather again.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 124016704 - witn.com/a?a=124016704