Firefighters Keep Blaze From Spreading To Home

Firefighters saved a Pitt County home from catching fire, after two adjoining storage units went up in flames this morning.

It happened just before 9:00 a.m. on Old Pactolus Highway at Luke and Donna Nelson's home.

Firefighters don't know how the storage buildings caught fire, but they were destroyed in the fire. Staton House was the first fire department on the scene, and since there was a danger of the fire spreading to the home itself additional units from Greenville and Simpson were called in.

No one was injured in the fire.

• by Nate Location: SVFD on Dec 9, 2010 at 08:35 AM
    Great job brothers!!!
  • by Pitt FF Location: North of the Tar on Dec 9, 2010 at 04:42 AM
    First I am a Vol FF from the north side of the county. On this particular road the fire districts are very chopped up where one department may have to drive through another departments district to get to reach their district. Pactolus, Staton House, and Greenville Station #6 cover this area. Depending on where the call took place decides which departments were primary and which ones are mutual aid. Depending which area the call took place would decide the order in which the mutual aid departments were called. I know me department has been called mutual aid to this area in the past as the 4th in and Simpson was called in 5th. The 911 center also looks at where the mutual aid departments are coming from. They will sometimes leave a department(Ex. Stokes) in their district to cover Staton House and Pactolus districts in case of a second call. On the outside looking in it may appear easy but its more complicated than you would think. Thanks you to all the 911 and the vol. ff's!
  • by FIREFIGHTER!!! Location: maybe your burning house while you sleep! on Dec 8, 2010 at 07:54 PM
    Joshua, you hit it on the head! It really pisses me off to hear anyone complain about what volunteers due! No, we don't always get it right but WE try! Why don't you get off your a*# and go volunteer at your local fire or ems department. Get up at 1am, stay out till 6am, go home, shower, kiss your kids goodbye and go to work! Thats right, go to work, because thats where WE get paid. If you don't like the fire or ems tax and/or charges, then my friend.... buy yourself a few extra garden hoses and learn how to perform single man cpr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • by k Location: wash on Dec 8, 2010 at 05:52 PM
    First of all everyone should say Thank You to all the volunteer firemen!!! They risk their lives for us and receive no pay. Second I am so proud my husband is a fireman. He was on his way to work and stopped and helped out.Even thought this was not his fire district they are a close and try to help one another. I am proud of all the fireman and all they do.
  • by Joshua on Dec 8, 2010 at 04:04 PM
    Easy children. Simpson is much closer to Old Pactolus than Stokes. Thus, they were the fours due units, behind Pactolus, Simpson, and Greenville. It's hard for any volunteer FD to find help during work hours, and there's no state law regarding three non-responses. Whoa & tater sause, unless you want to pay for a full-time fire department, or better yet, join the department and help out your community, put the lawyer away (and learn how to type). If more people volunteered to fix the problem instead of complaining about it, there wouldn't be a problem at all.
  • by Whoa! on Dec 8, 2010 at 03:39 PM
    Perhaps I'm being to hard on the FD's bypassed for Simpson FD. They'll respond, eventually.
  • by Whoa! on Dec 8, 2010 at 03:35 PM
    Anonymous @ 2:36pm, I work with these guys all the time. I can assure you your info is wrong.
  • by tarter sause Location: Greenville on Dec 8, 2010 at 01:41 PM
    From the way it sounds to me the first called fire department didn't respond and if thats so two more nonresponse and the state closes them down and divides there fire district up.If I was paying a fire tax in the district and the fire department did show up I would be finding me a lawyer...
  • by Passer-by Location: Greenville on Dec 8, 2010 at 11:50 AM
    The smoke cloud was enormous. It looked like a house was on fire as I drove passed this morning on 264. I didn't see any fire trucks there yet when I drove by.... Glad there wasn't any injuries or a loss of a home.
  • by Anonymous Location: Greenville on Dec 8, 2010 at 11:36 AM
    To Whoa: for your info Stokes has never had a failure to respond if they were called you can believe they would have been there.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111522729 - witn.com/a?a=111522729