Welding May Have Sparked Fire At Greenville Shopping Center

Firefighters say welders doing work on some air conditioning units have have caused a fire this afternoon at a Greenville strip shopping center.

Multiple fire units were called to the shopping center known as 1885 Fire Tower.

Around 12:30 p.m. a police officer spotted smoke coming from the roof of one of the stores that's next to the Dunkin' Donuts on Fire Tower Road near Arlington Boulevard.

Firefighters say the fire may have started after workers were welding pipes on rooftop air conditioners and left for lunch. They say it's possible some hot spots, combined with the wind, may have started the fire.

The fire caused no structural damage to the vacant store and nearby businesses that were evacuated were allowed to reopen about 30 minutes later.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 167851985 - witn.com/a?a=167851985
Gray Television, Inc.