New Firefighter Responds To First Fire At Home Owned By Him

A Greenville firefighter battled his first fire ever at a house that belonged to him.

Captain Wayne Harris says the home at 1616 Greenville Boulevard, SE is owned by Raul Thapar, who is a new firefighter with the department. Harris says Thapar rents out the home.

The fire closed down Greenville Boulevard for a time Friday afternoon.

Flames broke out around 1:30 p.m. at the home near David Drive. Police set up detours in both directions because of the fire, but the street has since reopened to all traffic.

The fire caused extensive damage to the one-story brick home and firefighters say the blaze doesn't look suspicious.

One person was in the home when the fire broke out and they got out safely.

Despite the fire, Thapar remained on duty, according to Harris.

• by debbie e on Feb 27, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    if anyone has ever been through something like this you would understand..set the fire, cant believe how many stupid people are out there..thanks god that they are safe..things can be replaced-in time..lives cannot..as the mother of the renter..many many thanks to everyone that helped my family, i am very greatful.
  • by Rebecca Location: Ayden on Feb 26, 2011 at 05:44 PM
    I personally know the owner of the home, and let me tell you something he would NEVER set it on fire! He is a great guy!! People like rdoubleD need to watch what they say comments like yours are NOT needed. Raul is a great guy and does not deserve your rude, arrogant, childish comments! My heart is with the renter and hope they are ok. Some people amaze me, get a life!
  • by Renter Location: greenville on Feb 26, 2011 at 02:07 PM
    Sometimes negative comments should be kept to yourself. I ran back into that fire twice without thought to save my animals. Yes it was an accident but how would you feel if this happened to you? How would you feel if someone sat there and said the same thing to you? but then again I'm sure you think your just infallible anyways. I am grateful greenville Fire and police and to the random strangers that ran to help me with what ever I needed you have proven that there is kindness left in this world. I may not know your names but you have my thanks from the bottom of my heart and it will be paid forward.
  • by Renter Location: Ashley on Feb 26, 2011 at 09:37 AM
    There is always that one person who has to make that one Stupid Comment and make their own self look stupid ( RdoubleD) I glad no one was hurt and other homes were not damaged.
  • by TO RDoubleD Location: Gville on Feb 26, 2011 at 07:35 AM
    Really? Thats a messed up comment.. who is going to light there own house on fire.. Ugh. Get a life.
  • by terry Location: greenville on Feb 25, 2011 at 05:55 PM
    i was sitting at the wachovia drive thru and i took a pic of the smoke rolling out of the house before fire trucks arrived...if the owner/renter would like the pic
  • by Original C on Feb 25, 2011 at 03:58 PM
    Along those same lines, a few years ago in my county we had this happen: We had a very bad wreck in town, and of course, Police, Fire, and EMS responded. This was late at night, and it was a head-on collision caused by another scumbag drunk driver. The victim driver was trapped in her vehicle. As the first EMT went about trying to free her, he was hit by a sudden sickening realization, and he called out: "That's my mother!" Ultimately, his mom died from her injuries, ditto for the scumbag drunk that caused it all. What a memory for this poor woman's son to carry for the rest of his life.
  • by GFR on Feb 25, 2011 at 01:56 PM
    Sorry to hear that brother
  • by Laura Location: Greenville on Feb 25, 2011 at 12:46 PM
    Coming from the mall direction, we were diverted right after the railroad tracks.
  • by Detour on Feb 25, 2011 at 12:34 PM
    Was there, had to go through a subdivision of expensive houses with no real idea where the road went. Made it through(finally)along with the caravan of other lost souls and wound up on Firetower, so I recognized where I was and made it home. Really confusing!!!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 116934398 - witn.com/a?a=116934398