Fire In The Sky Across Eastern Carolina

Calls and emails have been coming into the newsroom about a fireball streaking across the sky Tuesday night.

It appears what people saw was a meteor like the one in the picture accompanying this story, but maybe not quite as big.

We received calls emails and from people in Beaufort County, Kinston, Camp Lejeune, and Winterville all describing the same thing around 7:30: A blue-green fireball streaking across the sky towards the East until it disappeared. No one reports hearing or seeing any impact.

We talked with the National Weather Service out of Newport where officials say they have also had similar reports, but can't confirm for sure that it was a meteor.

A meteor is a piece of rock or other debris from space that burns up as it enters Earth's atmosphere. Because the objects are moving at many thousands of miles per hour, they create friction with the atmosphere as they enter and burn up.

If you happened to have seen the fireball streaking across the sky and took any pictures we would love to see them. You can email them to Carolina Camera on our home page.

• by N.E.S.T. Location: classified on Mar 25, 2011 at 01:39 PM
    Autobots roll out!
  • by Chris Location: The Colony, TX on Mar 25, 2011 at 11:07 AM
    It wasn't close to earth, everyone saying that it was "1/2 mile away" or "just off to the east"... I am near Dallas, TX, and saw the same object, vividly green (thought it was a roman candle not far away, until it kept going "straight-diagonal" across the sky and not arcing... green, spitting sparks, and finally "burning out" from sight after roughly 3-5 seconds and covering probably 20-degrees of sky in my vision (Might have been more before I spotted it). So if it was visible in OKC (another news article), Texas, and North Carolina, it means it had to have been extremely high in the atmosphere, and it may have actually not landed at all, it could have passed through the edge then continued through, grazing the atmosphere along the way. I have seen a similar one before many years ago, that i could actually see breaking apart above DFW, and heard the sound of it crackling and exploding, but this one "appeared" just as bright, and obviously MUCH farther away, so it had to have been tremendously brighter than what I saw years ago. It literally looked like a green roman candle maybe 10-houses down the street in brightness, clarity, and "sparkliness", so to know it was also seen in OKC and North Carolina, that was a major object!
      by sheila on Mar 30, 2011 at 04:55 AM in reply to Chris
      Thank you Chris!!! The way you described this object is exactly what I saw Tues. March 22, 2011, @ 7:30pm, in the ESE sky of Eastern North Carolina. Beautiful but unbelivable.
  • by Crystal Location: Chocowinity on Mar 24, 2011 at 11:06 AM
    This is crazy, my boyfriend came home Tuesday night and said on the way home he saw what he thought was a shootin star, but wasnt sure bc the sky was clear, no stars at all, and he said it was a lot brighter than a normal shootin star, wish i could have seen this!
  • by Crystal Location: Chocowinity on Mar 24, 2011 at 10:29 AM
  • by Dave Location: DFW Texas on Mar 23, 2011 at 08:48 PM
    We saw one just after 9:00pm CDT tonight in the northern sky traveling west to east here in north Fort Worth, Texas. Small bright green-tinted fireball that burned out right in front of us with a shower of yellow sparks. It really was unbelievably cool!
  • by BLAHammed on Mar 23, 2011 at 06:48 PM
    Man you people are gullible.Me, AKA mindy.But not all the time.
  • by BLAHammed on Mar 23, 2011 at 06:19 PM
    It is probably mahammed coming down to show his power(burned out).!Oblama cant stand it anymore.Thats why he runs and hides on any issue!
  • by Ashley Location: Greenville on Mar 23, 2011 at 05:18 PM
    My husband and I were bringing in our boat at Port Terminal on the East side of Greenville. I thought it was a firework that just didn't "go off". My husband thought it was a meteorite. Now I'm leaning more towards his assumption...
  • by Anonymous on Mar 23, 2011 at 05:06 PM
    The ECU Pyhsics Department built a rocket for Dave so he could escape the orbit of Eastern North Carolina.
  • by Jill Location: ENC on Mar 23, 2011 at 04:50 PM
    I saw it. No REALLY, I saw it...why don't you believe that I saw it? OK, I didn't really see it. I just wanted to fit in.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 118474024 - witn.com/a?a=118474024