Accidental Fire Damages Havelock Shopping Center

Fire that damaged a Havelock shopping center has been ruled an accident. Five businesses were damaged after the 4:30 a.m. blaze at Slocum Shopping Center on West Main Street.

Five businesses were actually damaged by the fire, while several others between the Laundromat and Food Fare received smoke damage.

Firefighters say the blaze was brought under control in about an hour, but they remained on scene as a precaution.

Havelock spokesperson Diane Miller says a faulty light fixture is to blame for the fire.

Fire departments from Havelock, Cherry Point, Newport, Harlowe, Township 6 and Wildwood responded and there were no reports of anyone injured.

Ken Schulte has owned the shopping center for almost 20 years. "There's some things you can't do a whole lot about, you know. So you can sit around and commiserate or you can figure out what's got to be done to fix it and that's the way I am", Schulte told WITN.

This morning Schulte brought in a glass company to fix the doors broken by the fire department and roofers to repair holes made to put out the fire.

Some businesses in the shopping center do remain open.

The SBI helped in determining how the fire began.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117577374 - witn.com/a?a=117577374