Fire Chief: Heat Likely Started Fire In Bertie County

The heat is most likely to blame for a sage waste pile catching on fire in the east Saturday afternoon.

It happened on Sutton Road in Bertie county around 4:30. Fire officials say the heat of the last couple of days may have contributed to the waste pile igniting, which is what's left from the sage plant after it's used to make oil.

Merry Hill fire chief Jamie Cobb says, "I believe it was a heat build up in the sage waste that we have here, and it just generated enough heat that it all ignited."

The fire chief says this is the first heat related fire this year.

The fire was put out in about ten minutes.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 161692725 -
Gray Television, Inc.