Greenville Apartment Complex Fire Leaves Family Without Home

Crews were called to a fire in an apartment complex near a busy Wednesday afternoon about 5:00.

Neighbors stood outside Williamsburg Manor in Greenville on Concord Drive off Greenville Boulevard and Hooker Road Wednesday
as fire crews put out the blaze that began in the kitchen.

Greenville Fire Bataliion Chief Eric Griffin says the family was at home at the time. He says they were cooking and the grease on the stove got too hot. It exploded according to Eddie White who lived in the apartment. His wife and four year old daughter where at home a the time. White says he arrived and went inside to get the fire extinguisher to fight the blaze himself, but he says it was out of his control.

Next door neighbor Sonya Harris said she smelled the smoke and was so scared she ran outside without no shoes on.
The fire department got the fire under control and let Harris know her apartment didn't have any serious damage.

The White family's apartment suffered severe damage, so they are living with family for now according to Greenville Fire and Rescue.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by okay on Mar 24, 2011 at 09:41 AM
    yes, "without no shoes on" is a real sticker there. And yes the article subject is difficult, but still, professional journalists cannot maintain credibility with bad grammar and spelling as I have seen it over and over on this site. Even if the phrase was quatoed from an individual, the writer should have put it in quotes. Get real
    • reply
      by Anonymous on Mar 24, 2011 at 12:38 PM in reply to okay
      okay, I did a typo and committed a grammatical error. But I am not the journalist, and I did catch it before someone else commented on it.
      • reply
        by Anonymous on Mar 24, 2011 at 01:44 PM in reply to
        Who cares, just as you made a mistake, so did the journalist.....Maybe he forgot to put quotes!! does his career choice mean that he is not afforded any mistakes in his life...You people worry about the wrong things
  • by gjdagis Location: NY on Mar 24, 2011 at 05:35 AM
    Perhaps, "without no shoes on" is what the person being quoted actually said and is not an error made by the writer of the article.
  • by Boats Location: Beaufort on Mar 24, 2011 at 02:10 AM
    A house fire is tragic enough **HOWEVER** Who wrote this report? It reads like some 6th grade student that wrote it. Is this what journalism has come to? come on WITN, where's your quality control? Pay a little attention here. "Without no shoes on", in a news article! Oh Puleeeze.
    • reply
      by Be ready on Mar 24, 2011 at 06:20 AM in reply to Boats
      This is such a tragedy! I will be praying for this family. A family has lost their home and you complain about grammar!?!?! No condolences no nothing....WOW I feel sorry for your neighbors in Beaufort sounds a bit selfish and heartless to me!!
  • by Michelle Driver Location: Tarboro, NC on Mar 23, 2011 at 11:09 PM
    Please post and let us that would like to help know where we can donate clothes and things needed to. I would like to help this family out.
  • by Marsha Location: Blounts Creek on Mar 23, 2011 at 07:34 PM
    Seriously???? "Without no shoes on"????
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 118536519 - witn.com/a?a=118536519
Gray Television, Inc.