UPDATE: Pamlico County Commissioners Approve Money To Fight Tolls

Pamlico County Commissioners voted Monday to hire a lobbyist to fight against looming ferry tolls on the Cherry Branch/Minnesott Beach ferries.

WITN's Kelsie Smith says the vote was 4 to 3. The vote allows the county to spend $10,000 to hire a lobbyist to fight against the tolls.

While all commissioners are against the tolls, those who voted against the lobbyist felt it's too much money to spend and that the process is too far along to reverse.

Tolls are slated to increase on April 1. Since the legislature is not scheduled to reconvene until May, people against the ferry tolls are hopeful they can force action at a legislative committee meeting on March 9 in Raleigh.

Previous Story

We'll be watching whether a local board of county commissioners takes action today against the unpopular move by the state to add or increase tolls on some state ferry routes.

The Pamlico County Commissioners have called a special meeting for this morning. The purpose is to decide whether to pay a lobbyist to work for the county to try to stop the tolls for the Cherry Branch/Minnesott Beach ferries.

The New Bern Sun Journal says the commissioners voted 3 to 3, a tie, last week on whether to spend $10,000 in tax money to join Hyde and Beaufort counties in the lobbying effort against the tolls. We'll let you know what happens at this morning's meeting.

• by Anonymous on Feb 28, 2012 at 02:37 PM
    I ride everyday. If I have to pay a fee, I want it to be fair. $400 a year per vehicle pass is not fair. $150 I can live with. However, I agree with tolling the major arteries coming into the State. The toll from VA into NC near Moyock does not even begin to touch the amount of tourist that come in on I-95. Then again, being a federal interstate the Gov in washington DC will probably want a cut from the toll collections there. I agree also with building a bridge.
  • by Smitty Location: Enc on Feb 28, 2012 at 03:46 AM
    Just a bit of info for you morons that dont know what you are talking about! I ride the ferry eveyday to work at pcs phosphate in aurora(bayview)ferry. Most of us dont have a problem with paying a toll to ride the ferry, what we have a problem with is that the two ferry routes that carry 33% of ferry traffic annually in nc is currituck and hatteras! Two out of seven routes carry 33%, thats our problem! No i dont think the locals should be carrying the weight of vacationers! Get informed!
  • by Jesse Woolard Location: chocowinity on Feb 27, 2012 at 08:34 PM
    Question. Don't we already pay a road tax, which now we are also starting to pay tolls too, and a gas tax, highest in at least 40 of the 50 states"stadard of living comparison" vehicle tax. Wow talk about double taxation. tax my paycheck, then i pay my vehicle tax, then I pay gas tax, then I pay a toll to drive on the same street I pay state and local taxes to ride on. This is B.S. NC is the 2nd highest tax paying state and 49th in income, how much more do you want from our citizens? When will it stop? Next tax the air per breath.
  • by me Location: Bayboro on Feb 27, 2012 at 04:03 PM
    If you want a free ride then ride your thumb out of Pamlico County.
  • by Chris Location: East on Feb 27, 2012 at 03:09 PM
    Not one person has mentioned the multi million dollar ornate Ferry Terminal building that is slated to start in the next few months at Cherry Branch. Pamlico Commissioner Kenny Heath uncovered all this recently and no one has made mention of it. How convienent that the High Tolls are right in line with this monstrosity building going up. Build a bridge. Big startup cost, less maintenence, easier quicker traveling.
      by Jessica on Feb 27, 2012 at 04:10 PM in reply to Chris
      Agreed!!!! The buildings are idiotic!
      by Anonymous on Feb 27, 2012 at 04:50 PM in reply to Chris
      ferry trolls are a good thing............trolls raise money to support the new projects.........trolls are there to assist you.........I like trolls
        by Curious on Feb 27, 2012 at 05:48 PM in reply to
        Where do yo se TROLLS? Problem with today's society. Nothing is serious, everything is a joke. Lets face it, Eastern NC makes the tourist dollars for the state, The Triad are makes the technology dollars for the state, the Charlotte Metro area has the banking industry. Toll the folks coming into the state. You pay to enter and ride on other State's highways that have lower taxes. Blame it on republicans, democrats, or whatever you want. What it boils down to end the end is terrible Leadership that starts at the top of our State Dept. I agree with everything Chris says on this issue. Build a bridge.
          by Formerly O.L.I. on Feb 28, 2012 at 05:08 AM in reply to Curious
          There is a toll coming from Virginia into N.C. near Moyock, N.C.
        by Anonymous on Feb 27, 2012 at 06:44 PM in reply to
        trolls can be scary at first
  • by rider on Feb 27, 2012 at 03:04 PM
    Why not let people who live there ride free and charge the turons the toll. I hate lobbyist.
      by Anonymous on Feb 27, 2012 at 06:41 PM in reply to rider
      well, the rest of us taxpayers hate bums who are always looking for a free ride
  • by Pete Location: Grifton on Feb 27, 2012 at 01:30 PM
    I think they should hire a chef and offer free lunch on the freebie ride.free pepsi and a snickers bar for every child,HD TV and spoonge bob cartoons.
      by chuckles on Feb 27, 2012 at 03:07 PM in reply to Pete
      these crybabies would still be whining
  • by Taxpayer2 Location: ENC on Feb 27, 2012 at 12:55 PM
    RE: Not tolling the Hatteras Ferry: There is a NC law that requires all NC toll roads to have an alternative route (free)to give the public the choice/option not to use the toll road. Simply, there is no alternative route from Hatteras to Ocracoke. These other ferry routes do have alternative routes-more driving is involved-but free alternative routes are available.
      by Anonymous on Feb 27, 2012 at 01:56 PM in reply to Taxpayer2
      In other words, stop expecting a free ride. I have to drive to work on my own dime and I ain't whining.
      by Anonymous on Feb 27, 2012 at 02:05 PM in reply to Taxpayer2
      And they can change that law just as easily as they can change any other law in regards to charging tolls on the ferry.
  • by Tony Location: ENC on Feb 27, 2012 at 12:46 PM
    People who use all of the ferries to get back and forth to work and otherwise back and forth to home should be exempt, period. What is so hard about that? Charge the dingbatters and look out for those who pay NC taxes for these services to begin with.
      by Stop Crying on Feb 27, 2012 at 01:53 PM in reply to Tony
      I pay taxes and NEVER use a ferry so why should I provide you with a free ride?
        by Truth on Feb 27, 2012 at 04:55 PM in reply to Stop Crying
        I'm quite sure I've paid taxes on a road that YOU have driven on and I have not. Dangit! That's just not fair! Why should I pay for YOUR road? I want to pay for only MY roads that I use. Gosh darnit.
          by Anonymous on Feb 27, 2012 at 06:42 PM in reply to Truth
          are you playing or really that dumb?
          by Truth on Feb 28, 2012 at 05:24 AM in reply to Truth
          To Anonymous@9:42 "are you playing or really that dumb?" I must be 'that dumb' because I have no idea which context your comment is. My comment is meant as a sarcastic parallel to Stop Crying's comment. It's the same principle. Sounds pretty ridiculous, no?
        by Bobby on Feb 27, 2012 at 06:07 PM in reply to Stop Crying
        You probably use a bridge or overpass on your way to work that I don't. I pay taxes, too. Why should I provide YOU with a free ride? And before you say that there's a difference between a bridge and a ferry, there's not. The ferry route has always been considered an extension of the highway. We pay enough taxes already to keep the ferries free IF THE POLITICIANS WOULD MANAGE THE MONEY RESPONSIBLY.
          by chuckles on Feb 27, 2012 at 06:43 PM in reply to Bobby
          bridges don't burn fuel to carry me anywhere you moron
      by dang on Feb 27, 2012 at 03:27 PM in reply to Tony
      what a dumb comment
  • by overtaxed Location: pamlico county on Feb 27, 2012 at 11:10 AM
    I blame both parties in Raleigh,someone spent the 5 million and now the over-taxed working class must repay the bank. Share the love- charge on all ferries and the 2 major interstates.Do the elected officials think we are stupid ? NOT CHARGING HATTERAS FERRY ?!# We can show how stupid we are with our vote ! Does Incumbent mean another term? I think NOT !!!
      by rapper on Feb 27, 2012 at 12:28 PM in reply to overtaxed
      Republicans are primarily the party of Wall Street and country clubbers, and are quickly becoming irrelevant With their crazed Reagan fixation, they are a last-gasp party, living posthumously, fighting battles on sex, race, immigration and public education long ago won by the other side.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 140548553 - witn.com/a?a=140548553