Fiery Crash Sends Mom, Kids To Hospital

A fiery rollover crash sends a mom and two kids to the hospital.

It happened at 1:50 p.m. Tuesday on Highway 264 near Free Union Church Road in Beaufort County. Firefighters and troopers responded to reports of a single vehicle upside down, on fire, with people inside. Firefighters say the mom and kids made it out on their own before rescuers arrived.

The mother says she reached down to answer her ringing cell phone, according to 1st Sgt. Kenneth Pitts with the Highway Patrol. She tells lawmen when she looked back up there was a deer in the road. She swerved across the oncoming lane to miss it, ran off the road, and rolled her sports utility vehicle in a ditch where it caught fire.

The mom and children, whose ages are approx. 3-4 and 5-7 years old, were all taken to Pungo District Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

First Sgt. Pitts reminds drivers to be careful using cell phones in the car, and encourages them to pull over if they need to use the phone.

• by mom on Nov 25, 2010 at 07:53 PM
    I was the mother in this accident and some of you people have no idea what you are talking about. I did not answer my phone first off thats wrong. I heard my phone beep from a text so I looked down for one second never picked phone up,so the news people need to do their job and get it right. And thankyou to the men who helped us out of the burning vehicle if it wasn't for you guys getting us out we might not be here today.And no one knows the helpless feeling I felt not being able to get my kids out while the car was burning and my kids were screaming and crying. Thankyou to everyone who helped us.
  • by Not a fan on Nov 24, 2010 at 08:44 AM
    Thank goodness this woman and her children are going to be ok. As ibxchick said, at least she was honest about what caused the wreck. She made a mistake. Difference is that all of our mistakes don't make WITN website. Please watch your judgement people!
  • by TARHEEL Location: NYC (temp.) on Nov 24, 2010 at 07:59 AM
    Here in NYC it is unlawful to use cell phones while driving unless with bluetooth device. This should be LAW everywhere. It doesn't make a lot of sense to require a seat belt while texting. GO FIGURE!!!!
  • by Lisa Location: Choco on Nov 24, 2010 at 07:55 AM
    We have all certainly made stupid mistakes while driving, myself included. However, some mistakes are permanent or fatal!! Do not for one second think that you are exempt from the consequences of your actions. Think and pay attention when you drive! Please!! I am so thankful that these folks are ok!
  • by washington on Nov 23, 2010 at 07:32 PM
    there should a ban on cell phones in cars
  • by Exasperated Location: Greenville on Nov 23, 2010 at 06:53 PM
    If you can't handle your phone and your car at the same time, put one of them away. I'm perfectly capable of using my phone and driving at the same time. And, I drive on a road with deer. I get really tired of folks complaining about bad drivers and their phones. What about bad drivers paying more attention to their kids arguing in the back seat? Or to their dogs barking in the seat next to them? Or putting on makeup, eating, drinking, lighting a cigarette, changing the radio station? This accident could have happened whether the driver was on the phone or not. It's a shame that it happened at all and the occupants are lucky to be alive. May the fates bless them as they heal from this ordeal.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 23, 2010 at 06:42 PM
    I invested in the radio/cell phone connection. Just a double click on the stering wheel, is just like speaking with a passenger. Cell phones are here to stay, make the investment or purchase a new car with the option included.
  • by allena boyd Location: belhaven on Nov 23, 2010 at 05:31 PM
    This is to all the people who won't post using your name. I am sure there is something that you have done that wasn't the most pratical thing to do at the time. Lets all be thankful that they were all right. How about support your fellow man instead of kicking them while they are down. But as usual this is another fine example of how WITN lets people post stuff that really shouldn't be out there. Free speech is one thing but bullying and condemning people is another.
  • by Me Location: Washington on Nov 23, 2010 at 05:07 PM
    I am so glad everyone is ok. Don't blame! Who doesn't talk on the phone and drive now days, we have all done it. To me its sadder that society thinks the answer to everything now days is counseling.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 23, 2010 at 04:58 PM
    She shouldnt have reached down to get her cell phone while driving, but for right now, all that matters is that they are alright and no one is seriously injured. The accident could have been alot worse, and im glad everyone is ok.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 110207039 - witn.com/a?a=110207039