Fiery Crash Kills Craven County Teenager

The Highway Patrol says a Craven County teenager is dead after his SUV struck a tree this morning and burst into flames.

The single-vehicle crash happened around 3:25 a.m. on Highway 55 near Asbury Road.

Troopers say Learney Jones of Cove City died on impact from the crash.

The Highway Patrol says the SUV lost control and then struck a tree. They are still trying to determine the exact cause of the accident.

• by Sharron Location: Cove City on Jun 16, 2011 at 06:38 AM
    RIP JR - you were one of my sons first freinds when we moved from VA to the country 4 years ago and I am so happy to have got to know you. You were such a polite and respectful boy, you will be missed. What a tragic loss for your family. God be with you and your family.
  • by ssm on Jun 14, 2011 at 11:42 AM
    I'm sorry for this young man's family and friends loss...there's also another teenager that lost their life last night in an auto accident...but what amazes me is the times that these young people are out on the road...one dies at 2:00 a.m and this young man dies at 3:2s a.m....why are these young inexperienced drivers out at that time of the morning??...I mean no disrespect to any of these families or teenagers, but I feel like they should be home at that time of the morning....
  • by Heather Durham Location: Vanceboro on Jun 14, 2011 at 09:46 AM
    It doesn't seem real, just 2 weeks ago he messaged me asking me how I was doing. Wishing this is all a nightmare. I know that he is in a better place now, looking down on us. You will never be forgotten. We all love you very much Jr, rest in peace country boy. <3 I love you cuz.
  • by Kris Location: NC on Jun 13, 2011 at 08:47 PM
    He is in God's arms now; NO PAIN, nothing but the love and caring God gives. I also apologize for the people asking what was he doing out so early, how old was he, etc...Those questions and answers are best left answered by those involved and most certainly OFF the internet. I sincerely apologize for them...no one needs salt poured into an open wound!!!
      by ssm on Jun 14, 2011 at 11:44 AM in reply to Kris
      lil chris, no one was trying to disrespect your friend...they were just asking the same question I did...I'm sorry for your loss, and again, no disrespect was meant towards your friend or his family...
  • by lil chris Location: askins on Jun 13, 2011 at 08:43 PM
    He was trying to make it to work on time. That's why he was out so early. Every doesnt have bankers hours. He was a fine young man trying to make it on his own, the hard way. Have mercy on anybodys soul who has anything stupid to say. I miss u brother. Rip. I love you man.
  • by Shannon on Jun 13, 2011 at 07:54 PM
    it is so hard to come to terms with somthing like this when you are a parent yourself. Jr was such a wonderful person,with his whole life ahead of him and will be sincerely missed by all who knew him! A country boy all the way through,and leaves many sad hearts behind. My thoughts and prayers are with the family...
  • by brandan Location: new bern on Jun 13, 2011 at 03:27 PM
    i will always love and miss u bro you will always be in my heart
  • by Merle Location: Pink Hill on Jun 13, 2011 at 03:21 PM
    My prayers are with the family of Jr. Sorry for your lost, no mother should bury their child.May God be with you all during this time.
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Jun 13, 2011 at 03:13 PM
    This is so sad. I do not have words to express my thoughts about another young life gone in such a tragedy. May God dry the tears of his family and friends, and heal their broken hearts.
  • by Tabi Location: Dover,nc on Jun 13, 2011 at 02:24 PM
    JR WE LOVE AND MISS YOU SO MUCH IT NOT GOING TO BE THE SAME WITHOUT YOU JR ALL I HAVE TO SAY WAS YOU WERE TO YOUNG TO DIE AND NOW TO THINK THAT I WISHING I COULD SEE YOU AGAIN I KNOW DEEP DOWN THAT I WILL ONE DAY REST IN PEACE YOU WERE A TRUE COUNTRY BOY AT HEART AND WOULD DO ANYTHING FOR ANYBODY I LOVE YOU LIKE A BROTHER JR I CANT SAY ENOUGH THAT WOULD BRING YOU BACK YOU ARE MISSED AND LOVED LOVE YOU JR

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 123743044 - witn.com/a?a=123743044