UPDATE: Father And Daughter Hospitalized After Motorcycle Crash

According to troopers a father and daughter had to be hospitalized after a motorcycle crash in Lenoir County Sunday.

Troopers tell us the crash happened on Jonestown Road in Lenoir County.

According to the Kinston Free Press, Stephen Chestnut, of Deep Run, was driving a jeep and turned left in front of the motorcycle causing it to crash. Clifton Hill Jr was driving the motorcycle with his daughter, who is believed to be around 11 years old. Both were thrown from the bike.

Both were airlifted to Pitt County Memorial Hospital and sustained non-life threatening injuries.

The paper reports Chestnut was cited with a moving violation.

• by knightrider on Nov 11, 2011 at 04:43 AM
    The ? is not why he was riding his daughter , i ride my 10 yr old daughter with me on my motorcycle, the ? is why dont u CAGERS pay attention while u are driving (NOT TALKING ON THE PHONE OR TEXTING)I see nothing wrong with what he done by spending time on the open road with his daughter. people pay attention , if it wasn't for us motorcyclist watching out for you dumbtails , there would be more of us being hit by cagers. To the the father keep riding with your daughter and pray others will watch out for us more when we are riding.
  • by knightrider on Nov 11, 2011 at 04:43 AM
  • by Shea Location: ENC on Nov 9, 2011 at 06:35 AM
    Thank you Crystal for the update, and I pray your brother gets better as each day goes by! Prayers going up for your family. As far as some people and their comments, they are looking a good argument in which this story is not the place to do so, show some respect for this family and like I keep saying, stop with the ridiculous comments about his parenting skills and how you really feel, keep it to yourself and just pray for this family!!
  • by Crystal Location: Deep Run on Nov 8, 2011 at 07:01 PM
    This father, is my brother. This daughter is my niece, and the absolute apple of his eye. If we all think back, there have been times in our childhoods when our parents allowed us to do things considered unimaginable by todays standards. I recall sleeping in the back glass of the car. Sitting in the car, while mom ran into the store. Rode in the back of many pickup trucks on summer days. Heck my dad even threw me in a pond to teach me to swim. MY LORD how am I still alive?! Regardless of how you feel about the situation, I know for a fact that my brother would give his own life, in a heartbeat for his kids. Just as ours would have, for us way back then. It wasnt his fault, and we watched him distraught, only concerned with how his baby was doing. For those of you concerned, and worried about their conditions. .She is doing great. She only had a few scrapes, as he absorbed most of the impact. She was discharged the same night. He had surgery to pin his bones back together with plates. He is in a lot of pain, and worried how they will make do till he can work again. Which will be months, or even longer, as his left arm is really bad and may require future surgery. Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers, as we know they are being answered. As for those only looking at the negative aspect of this situation, congratulations on being the only people in the world that can see the future, and able to keep your kids from all harm. I am not one of those people, as many of us are not, and am just thankful for the blessing of still having them in my life. God Bless.
  • by Shea Location: ENC on Nov 8, 2011 at 12:32 PM
    Any updates on how they are doing?
    And for "common sense" do you have kids? If so, do they have a four wheeler, a bike and do you make sure they have a helmet on each time they ride? I'm sure they don't go near the road because you are such a perfect parent right?? Haha laughing nobody is perfect and when you put your child in a car remember you are not promised to return home, it is also a death trap, so endangerment to a child ridiculous statement!!
      by mom of boys on Nov 8, 2011 at 10:53 PM in reply to Shea
      Nah, as parents, we cannot guarantee that they will always make the right choices, or that they will come home safely. Nor are there any perfect parents or perfect kids. But as parents, we can and we must do what we can to protect our children from harm. And it is silly to think that a motorcycle or a bike or a four wheeler is as safe as a car. Yes, people get killed in a car all the time. But at least they have seat belts and a car frame to offer some protection. Let you children enjoy their machines. But do not ever, ever dismiss the dangers...
  • by Nana Location: Southern Pitt on Nov 8, 2011 at 08:46 AM
    Gotta put my 2 cents worth in here...My husband and I have pretty much garaged our Harley for a while...it's hard enough to drive defensively in a car or truck; but all of this is elevated 1000% for a motorcycle. We were recently in a serious accident in a red pickup truck (on a clear day) where someone (not paying attention) turned directly in front of us out on Hwy 17 and we hit him going 55 with no time to react whatsoever. We were very fortunate and not seriously hurt, but it could have been so much worse. My point is simple...slow down, pay attention, and if you need to talk on the phone, for goodness sake, pull off the road!
  • by mom on Nov 8, 2011 at 02:38 AM
    I have a daughter that loves to ride with her dad. They go camping every summer for a week to different parts of the states. The child could have got this hurt if she would have been in a car. Everyone needs to slow down and pay attention. Everyone seems to want to take more risk in today's world.
  • by mother and grandmother Location: enc on Nov 7, 2011 at 07:46 PM
    Here's something I don't understand: we are required by law to keep children buckled up in the back seat for safety. We are not allowed to let them ride even in the front seat because of the air bags. Why is it ok for them to ride on a motorcycle, with no seatbelts, no side protection, no "cage" to protect them? Perhaps it's ok to do this on a private road. But to take an unprotected child out on a highway with other "cagers" out there who aren't "paying attention" to motorcycles, this is ok?
      by Just Me on Nov 8, 2011 at 09:09 AM in reply to mother and grandmother
      Agreed !
        by scarlett on Nov 8, 2011 at 01:34 PM in reply to Just Me
        agree
  • by motorcycle rider Location: Snow Hill on Nov 7, 2011 at 06:18 PM
    let's see here now jeep truns left in front of MC what would you do that happens to you in your car? you would be eating your streeing wheel. And we are not asking nothing but enjoy ourself. Just as you would going to McD.
  • by not a bad mouther--just using my brain on Nov 7, 2011 at 06:02 PM
    im completely amazed at the people willing to take these risks with their children and everyones saying 'its fine'. my comment isnt ignorant, i can back it up--ive just seen too many bad things happen. motorcycle vs. 'cage' as you call it=motorcycle LOSES EVERY TIME. and youre angry why? you get on your unprotected set of wheels and some dope hits you like theyd hit any other vehicle (not all of us 'cagers' are these idiots you describe) maybe they couldnt see you in their blind spot or whatever--and your a long scrape on the pavement! you dont care if your underage kid is that person? how ignorant is THAT? and i love how everyones saying 'respect' bikers. sorry, havent had any bikers do anything remarkable for me, if i do, ill respect one for sure. so far, everyone up here seems nasty against anyone who drives a vehicle. of course i will avoid accidents being the decent human being i am, but ive got no respect for someone just because theyve chosen a more dangerous form of transportation. i guess i dont understand why you would choose to do something dangerous and then get mad when something bad happens. i sure hope these people will be okay, and i SURE hope that dad doesnt put his kid on his bike until shes of an age to realize that an accident could leave her a permanent vegetable.
      by mother and grandmother on Nov 7, 2011 at 07:56 PM in reply to not a bad mouther--just using my brain
      I am married to a biker, and my son is also a biker.I am one of those "cagers" who watches out for other bikers, because that could be my husband or son on that bike. That being said, I would never, ever allow my underage children or grandchildren to ride on a bike, knowing that there are "cagers" out there who do not look out for bikers. It is NOT the same as being in an accident in a car. In a car, at least they have seatbelts and a "cage" to give them some protection. On a bike, they have nothing. Enjoy your bikes, take your own risks. Please don't endanger your children.
      by Frank Sinatra on Nov 7, 2011 at 10:50 PM in reply to not a bad mouther--just using my brain
      If you ride you understand. If you dont you never will. Based on your comments you never will.
        by mother and grandmother on Nov 8, 2011 at 04:29 AM in reply to Frank Sinatra
        I have ridden, so I do understand.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 133338933 - witn.com/a?a=133338933