Fatal Accident In Pitt County

One person is dead following an accident Friday afternoon in Pitt County.

Highway Patrol says 46-year-old Darlene Andrews was killed when she pulled her van out into the path of a Ford Explorer at the intersection of Statonsburg Road and Highway 258 near Farmville.

Lawmen say Andrews husband was a passenger and suffered minor injuries.

Two people in the Explorer had minor injuries.

That intersection is a 2-way stop with stops on Stantonsburg Road, but not on Highway 258.

Erika Taylor lives nearby and says she drives through that intersection almost every day.

She tells WITN, "I think there needs to be a four way stop here. I'm wondering what will it take to do something about this intersection because every other month theres an accident here, if it isn't every other week and now that someone's life was claimed at this intersection will there be someting done about it? Us as citizens we want to know what will be done about this intersection now."

• by Trena Location: Johnston on May 2, 2011 at 05:18 AM
    I was absolutely blessed to be in Darlene's life. She was one of the sweetest, most genuine ladies I have ever met. I will truly miss her! Bryan, I am wishing you a very speedy recovery! I have your families in my heart and prayers! We love you all!! As for the intersection, it would be awesome if the state would consider a flashing caution light, like the one at the 258 and 43 intersection. And for all those making mean comments, please remember this beautiful woman was someone's wife, daughter, sister and friend. Show compassion!
  • by dee Location: windsor on May 1, 2011 at 12:24 AM
    NJ that was very dum and a stupid thing to say God bless the family that has to go thru this
  • by youdamannc Location: Farmville on Apr 30, 2011 at 11:14 PM
    I am a family member of the of the driver. She was the sweetest and most generous person you would ever meet. She did not have children but she treated every child she met as if they were her own. Children where drawn to her and she was so nuturing to them. Darlene's husband is still in Pitt. He will be in the hospital for several days. This is a tragic lose. Our prayers go out to the guys in the other vehicle. Please pray for Darlene and Brain's family. This is tough loosing a family member so tragically. Brain will have to make adjustments without his wife Darlene.
  • by Christy Location: Greenville,N.C. on Apr 30, 2011 at 08:34 PM
    my prayers are with my family at this time.the lady that was in the van was my cousin.love u all
  • by Gville on Apr 30, 2011 at 07:05 PM
    prayers to the family. Tell your love ones that you love them every day.
  • by Suzi Location: Vanceboro on Apr 30, 2011 at 02:50 PM
    NJ...if you weren't here...you wouldn't know how we drive...so sorry for the loss...you may never know what really happened.
  • by To NJ on Apr 30, 2011 at 02:36 PM
    you're stupid!
  • by NJ on Apr 30, 2011 at 01:55 PM
    This comment has been deleted.
      by alex on Apr 30, 2011 at 04:22 PM in reply to NJ
      My comment to anyone who doesn't like the way things are in the South......GO BACK UP NORTH!
      by Gville on Apr 30, 2011 at 07:15 PM in reply to NJ
      HEY NJ LEAVE!!!!
      by Just leave on May 1, 2011 at 06:14 AM in reply to NJ
      If you don't like how we drive in NC, or anything else about NC, then I'm sure we won't miss you when you're gone. So, just do us a favor, and LEAVE!! Another thought...maybe they don't want you where you came from either!!
  • by Crystal Location: Washington on Apr 30, 2011 at 01:24 PM
    I pray for the family and friends of the everyone involved,no matter how it happened a life was taken so i just pray for them!! there was a accident of some kind on hwy 33 goin in greenville this am, it was a detor, seen the fire trucks and rescue trucks does anyone know anything about anything? Was just wounderin, what ever happend again, prayers go out. Thought there would be news coverge up here about it but havent seen nothing, must have been pretty seriouse if there was state detor signs posted!
  • by Family Location: Greenville on Apr 30, 2011 at 09:13 AM
    The two young guys in the ford explorer was pretty shaken up by the accident and didnt hear about Mrs. Andrews death to after being check out at the hospital. We all know that Hortons corner is a very dangerous intersection that may require a caution light or a 4way stop. Praying for the Andrews family and wishing a speedy recovery for my family

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 121007159 - witn.com/a?a=121007159