Farmville Residents Complain Of Extremely High Utility Bills

The City of Farmville does not read everyone's meter each month. Half of the city is on a computer read system and for the other half- a meter reader must go to the home. In most cases the city says that the bills are as much as 45 days behind on the billing cycle due to the time it takes to read the meters, but the bill is not just accounting how much each home is using in electricity.

According to the CEO of Electricities, the provider of utility services, it comes down to old debts of facilities that were purchased in the 1980's that each town has agreed to pay if they use Electricities as a provider. In each bill it breaks down to 38 cents on each dollar that citizens are paying just for the debts of Electricities. Graham Edwards Electricities CEO says it comes down to one thing that could help to contribute to lower bills.

"Greenville and other communities have grown over time and that growth is what is reducing he cost per hour for consumers here in Farmville. They have not grown and that is the big issue at this time economic development is critical," said Edwards.

Farmville's debt that they owe to the company is $29 million if they wanted to get out of their current contract.

• by Another Location: Farmville res on Sep 1, 2011 at 06:38 PM
    The rates here are ridiculous. I work and am gone all day. My house is never comfortable - cold in winter & hot in summer. I have gas logs to supplement heat, gas for hot water & cooking. I have replaced all the windows, and basically don't heat or cool the 2nd floor of my house. My lowest bill has been $220, in the fall/spring when temps are mild. My last bill was $460. Granted, July was hot, but for $460 I would expect the house to be comfortable. I have heard that much of many Farmville residents' bills are subsidized due to their low incomes. Is this true? I don't see why this old debt we are paying. It sounds like we are whining, but we are not. These utility bills are outrageous.
  • by No Worries on Mar 23, 2011 at 03:55 AM
    Have no fear, Jim will take care of it. Great man who stood up for all employees. We will miss him more than words can say. Farmville residents... you are very lucky receiving an AWESOME manager. Consider yourself blessed with such a great man who puts employees first!!!!
  • by gntcpw Location: Fountain on Mar 17, 2011 at 04:20 AM
    To "Broke": We had the same issue with propane through a local company in Farmville that delivered. We were paying $100/mth on an $80/mth "payment" plan all year long and the balance never went down much. It was a rip-off. We finally bought a 100lb cylinder for $100 at Agri-Supply and take it to get filled about every 3 to 4 weeks for $65 at Road Runner in Farmville. We cook and heat an approximately 900sq ft farm house on this gas. We have saved SEVERAL HUNDRED dollars by doing it this way. If you have the means to do this, it's worth looking into. Good luck and I hope that my suggestion helps.
  • by Wayne Location: Farmville on Mar 16, 2011 at 09:36 PM
    Board members for this corrupt place electricities need to be at these meetings. we pay them from our bill too - 1000$ a month. Some have been on the board 12 years. That is a lot.
  • by Lavon Location: Goldsboro on Mar 16, 2011 at 07:15 PM
    My electric bill is low every month. Does that mean it's because of Obama? I mean you would have to agree right? You can't have it both ways. I mean if it's his fault because people in Farmville have had high light bills since before he even was in politics then that means he's responsible for the low light bills in Goldsboro right? You peope are some of the craziest clowns I have ever run across
  • by Ferg Location: NC on Mar 16, 2011 at 06:22 PM
    Someone has to pay for all those salaries to the Power Plant employees.
  • by Jasper Location: NC on Mar 16, 2011 at 06:16 PM
    Obama said their is no inflation! So what are you all worried about the high cost to heat your home? Oh I forgot Obama said it is all G W Bushs fault. How soon I forget , sorry I must remember it is all G W Bushes fault. What happened to the " I voted for Obama car bumper stickers " ?
  • by S Location: Washington,NC on Mar 16, 2011 at 06:04 PM
    I feel for you guys in Farmville...its bad enough in Washington...many people have utility bills in the City higher than their mortgage payments...Personally, I think a public revolt is in order for both towns...I am so glad,however,that I have read these comments from Farmville because we were considering buying a home there;now that is definitely out of the question....If it's worse than Washington,only millionaires can afford to live there.
  • by passingthru on Mar 16, 2011 at 05:32 PM
    The city rates are so high because they are trying to pay off nuclear power plant debt. Now there is talk of building new nuclear power plants in NC. How much will that cost consumers? Obama is putting up loan guarantees for the new nukes but that won't lessen the impact on rate payers. And what happens if they let Duke and Progress merge? Man, then NC citizens from the mountains to the coast will really be held hostage. I'm going to put some solar panels up and put a wood stove in.
  • by AMC on Mar 16, 2011 at 05:23 PM
    We had a free energy audit by Greenville Utilities right after moving into our new home. Wish we had called them before we built. Our builder took so many shortcuts and this was NOT a cheap house. What really made us mad was that the building inspector signed off on all the work! Watch that Holmes guy on HGTV or TLC and you will realize that a bunch of hard working people get taken for a ride. Our dream house turned out to be a horror house and our builder filed for bankruptcy shortly after we filed suit because he refused to fix the problems. So now I can't sell this place and it hurts my heart every time I set foot in this place. Buyer beware! Please!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 118056984 - witn.com/a?a=118056984