NEW INFO: Young Family Safe After Early Morning House Fire

A family is safe after an early Friday morning house fire. Firefighters say that family included an 11-month-old boy.

Every room in the house was destroyed, and the brick that remains is charred.

Click the Photos tab above to see pictures from the scene.

Crews were called out to Gall Road outside of Belhaven across the Hyde County line around 3:40 a.m. They had put the fire out around 4:45.

The Ponzer Volunteer Fire Department in Hyde County responded, along with the Scranton and Belhaven fire departments.

Eve Richardson with Ponzer says a family was in the single story home when the fire broke out. Everyone made it out safely.

The Red Cross is on scene to assist the family.

Firefighters are looking at whether a wood stove caused the fire.

• by Heather Location: BeaufortCounty on Mar 19, 2012 at 09:18 AM
    It is very sad to see everyone arguing and tossing comments back and forth. A lot of people don't even know the facts about this whole event. If you weren't involved and it wasn't your house, then you don't know. You cannot trust hear-say. Sometimes it doesn't matter how many trucks respond or how fast they get there. The truth is that the house was already burning before the family got out and it wasn't possible to save the house. To the comment about driving 10 minutes to water, no, they used some very close by. Instead of arguing, thank God that the family is safe and alive. It is up to the fire department to determine if they can improve their team. End of story. I will miss the home I grew up in.....but material thiings can be replaced, life cannot. Why can't more people pay attention to the real issue? Ponzer is fortunate to have a fire department at all.
  • by Wife of a Ponzer VOLUNTEER Fireman Location: Ponzer, NC on Mar 15, 2012 at 09:31 AM
    I would like to thank the Ponzer VOLUNTEER firefighters and all of the others in Hyde county that put their lives on the line, never once thinking twice about going into a burning building to save your families, when they have families of their own. My husband works a regular job and many hours a week at that but that doesn't matter because whenever the tones sound, he is up and out the door at any time, day or night. Oh, did I mention they do all of this as VOLUNTEERS. Yeah, they don't get paid for it. For all of you that have something to say about our fire dept, where are you and What do you do to help others. I think its completely ridiculous that grown people must sit on their computers and bad mouth their a fire dept that might get a call one day to your house or a wreck that you have been in. I just hope that if that day does come, our fire dept will be the ones to respond. Think about the things you say and the people that will save your lives in an accident before you go running your mouth about them. Remember, they are volunteers and they don't get paid to do this. I hope you find peace in your life because you obviously have some unresolved issues within yourself. Just know that God loves you even when you treat your brother nasty. Also know that I will pray for you
      by Anonymous on Mar 15, 2012 at 10:41 AM in reply to Wife of a Ponzer VOLUNTEER Fireman
      AMEN
  • by former hyde resident Location: Greenville on Mar 14, 2012 at 07:35 AM
    I know every one of you that has posted something with your name on it. With all the terrible comments up here, I pray that the family is hanging in there. It has got to be tough to see all these rude comments on here that not only residents are posting, but also the people on the fire department. You people should be ashamed of yourself. Just quit replying and let it go. Thank God that the family made it out safe. A house can be replaced. I know for a fact, been there myself. It's a terrible tragedy. Granted, the fire department has a lot of challenges I'm sure, and a lot of learning to do. I'm sure many lessons were learned from that fire. People do need to realize that one person can not control a fire department, which has been an ongoing issue from what i can tell. It doesn't work like that. They have a lot to work on but at least they are trying to help. God bless the little family and I hope you can move on with your life quickly.
      by Anonymous on Mar 14, 2012 at 01:30 PM in reply to former hyde resident
      You live in Greenville, thats sixty miles away. You know nothing about what goes on here at Ponzer's fire dept. These rude comments aren't coming from firemen there're coming from idiots.
        by former hyde resident on Mar 15, 2012 at 07:49 AM in reply to Anonymous
        I know more than what you think my friend. These rude comments ARE coming from EVERYONE. And if you want to call yourself an idiot, go ahead. I will pray for you and the other "idiots" to which you call them. May God bless you and your family.
          by Anonymous on Mar 15, 2012 at 09:47 AM in reply to former hyde resident
          You make me laugh!
  • by bob Location: hyde on Mar 13, 2012 at 07:12 PM
    ponzer is a good fire dept., with good people. if you want to down a fire dept. try Engelhard with their family run and owned chaos, money scandals, or fairfield with their scandals, or scranton with a cheif that is as much to their operation as my pet cats, or knows his community as well as our president knows the value of a dollar!
      by Chuck WireWiggler on Mar 13, 2012 at 09:29 PM in reply to bob
      Me thinks Bob is volenteering to be the chief at Engelhard, because he has stated his qualifications. Go getum bob. Remember, we're not being part of the solution if you are being part of the problem...
  • by Tammy Gale on Mar 13, 2012 at 06:34 PM
    Please Ponzer is a place where everyone knows everyone, why would you people want to bad mouth this fire department???? Grow up and find a hoppy that works for you stop hating on the fire dept. I have family in that fire dept. and I'm very proud of them join in or shut up people!!!!
      by Debbie on Mar 14, 2012 at 04:47 PM in reply to Tammy Gale
      fimily owned too
  • by Chuck WireWiggler Location: Mill Creek on Mar 13, 2012 at 04:52 PM
    old redneck proverb: If you cant be part of the solution, Dont be part of the problem. Dont set in your EZ chair blabbering away when there are People that give of thier free time, (and Not for personal glory or fame). These folks worked hard to get a Station. At 2 or 3 AM, it takes TIME to respond, they dont live at the station. There comes a time as bad as you hate to make the call, that you dont put people in a house that is burning. These folks will save homes as times go by. Oh, I'm the good samaritan, and was glad Help as anyone would have.
  • by to witn Location: hyde on Mar 13, 2012 at 04:51 PM
    why would you post all these stupid comments? the firemen in hyde volunteer their time just like firemen anywhere else. shame on WITN for posting this nonsense! a fireman learns something from every call. a family lost everything. thats the real story.
  • by Anonymous Location: Ponzer on Mar 13, 2012 at 08:03 AM
    Ponzer does not send someone to look first. When there are trucks in route from the station to the scene, the rest of us go straight to the scene. The first firefighters on scene call a report in to the trucks in route so they can know exactly where to go and what they need to do the job efficiently.
  • by Jennie Clayton Location: Ponzer on Mar 13, 2012 at 07:46 AM
    To all of the cowardly people making these negative comments and won't even put your name on it, I would like to invite you to come out and do the training that we do on our spare time like nights after we have worked all day and weekends when we would like to be doing things at home or with our families. Come out and learn how to fight a fire. how to draft water etc. Also come see that most of the time we don't make much money on these fundraisers. Come out and take a look at our monthly bills and the cost to keep a fire dept going. We are a new fire dept that will be making payments on our building for a long time. Please, if you know so much about this come help us be a better fire dept. Let us know who you are so we can call you at 3:00 in the morning, get you out of your comfortable bed and come help us.
      by Anonymous on Mar 13, 2012 at 01:18 PM in reply to Jennie Clayton
      WORK....you don't work anymore.
        by Anonymous on Mar 13, 2012 at 02:42 PM in reply to
        Sure don't.
        by Jennie on Mar 13, 2012 at 02:46 PM in reply to
        Are you the disgruntled ex-fireman that left our dept. because you couldn't control everything?
          by Anonymous on Mar 14, 2012 at 07:25 AM in reply to Jennie
          Actually, I'm not. A fire department is not about one person controlling it. It's about a community coming together to perform a group effort...which doesn't happen often. I think Belhaven and Pungo are a great example of what a volunteer fire department should be. Not sure who your talking about....but it's not me.
        by Kristy Marslender on Mar 13, 2012 at 03:05 PM in reply to
        And what exactly do you do for a living, Anonymous, that allows you to be on the computer at 4:00 in the afternoon? You must be a very mean person, because you have been making some rude and immature comments. I'm kind of glad that you have been too afraid to put your own name on your comments, because I don't want you to be someone that I know. I will pray for you in hopes that you can become a better person.
          by Anonymous on Mar 14, 2012 at 07:26 AM in reply to Kristy Marslender
          Your not on there too far behind me....4:59???
          by Kristy Marslender on Mar 14, 2012 at 01:06 PM in reply to Kristy Marslender
          I work at Mattamuskeet Elementary so I can come home when my kids do. I am also a student at East Carolina University. How about you? Night shift, right?
          by Anonymous on Mar 15, 2012 at 05:14 AM in reply to Kristy Marslender
          You could say that...I'm a nurse to be exact.
          by Anonymous on Mar 15, 2012 at 05:20 AM in reply to Kristy Marslender
          By the way....you think you know exactly who I am, so come talk to me.
  • by Anonymous Location: Ponzer on Mar 13, 2012 at 06:55 AM
    I would like to comment on the "fundraising dept" comment. Unlike Beaufort County, Hyde County does not have a fire tax. Fundraising is the only way we keep our department operational. We receive very limited funds from the County and rely on community support to do the rest. Thank you to each and every person that support our efforts to save life first and property second. Our volunteers spend a lot of time each year training to do a job that most people wouldn't do if they were paid. I have a lot of respect for these men and women.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 142034263 - witn.com/a?a=142034263