Tragedy Strikes Twice For Pitt County Family

A Pitt County family who lost their home to a fire in January is facing the same tragedy again.

A fire destroyed the Hernandez family's house in Ayden in January, displacing eight people. The family's new home in Winterville caught fire Wednesday, according to the Daily Reflector. A circuit breaker is to blame for the fire on the Rountree Rd. home.

The electric company was forced to cut off the power at the residence until an electrician can make repairs. For now, the family is displaced out of their home once again.



Previous Story:

A Pitt County family of eight has lost everything in a Monday fire.

Firefighters don't yet know how the fire at the home on Ayden Golf Club Road began around 11:00 a.m. The parents, nor any of their six children, three who are under 16, were at home when the fire broke out.

It took units from Ayden, Eastern Pines and Winterville Community Fire about 30 minutes to gain control of the fire. Firefighters say an engine from Ayden was first on the scene and were starting to put out the fire when an electrical line fell across their water hoses. For safety they had to kill those hoses and wait for the next department to arrive for help.

The home was rented by the Jose Hernandez family. Family members tell WITN News that Hernandez has been on dialysis and is out of work. The other members of the family have been doing odd jobs to help make ends meet.

The one-story brick home is a total loss. The family had no renters insurance and the fire department says the home itself also was not insured. No one was injured in battling the blaze.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 114494909 - witn.com/a?a=114494909