Family Leaves Food On Stove To Pay Power Bill, Returns To House Fire

Crews responded to a house fire on Ravenwood Drive off Memorial Drive around 7:30 Wednesday night.

A neighbor spotted the fire and called 911 because the people who lived in the home were not at home at the time of the fire.

Earlier in the day officials say the occupants came home and learned the electricity had been turned when they tried to cook something. So they went to the utility office to pay the bill.

Greenville Fire Battalion Chief Eric Griffin says electricity was restored to the house, and the stove burner was left on with food cooking which caught fire.

"According to the occupant they stated that they didn't have the chance to pay the electric bill. The lights were cut off for a short time today, and then cut back on while they were gone," said Griffin.

The Red Cross is assisting the family.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 24, 2011 at 03:05 PM
    Sounds like a good reason to investigate insurance fraud.Dont make any sense to me.
  • by Chuck Location: Greenville,NC on Mar 24, 2011 at 12:53 PM
    Sorry this happened to them.The Bill payment Office @ GUC Closes around 5PM. So they must not have gone back home immediatelly after paying the bill. Because the fire happened around 7:30 PM. Perhaps the GUC Had a problem with lights in that Area & Then they came back on?
  • by sb on Mar 24, 2011 at 07:53 AM
    The headline is a little confusing. Very sad for the family.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 24, 2011 at 06:46 AM
    ok so they turned the stove/oven on and then realized there wasnt any electricity and they left and came back to a burt up house.
    • reply
      by Anonymous on Mar 24, 2011 at 07:26 AM in reply to
      Wow, you are a sharp tool Anon, nothing gets by you!
      • reply
        by CNG on Mar 24, 2011 at 09:05 AM in reply to
        lol
      • reply
        by family on Mar 24, 2011 at 09:39 AM in reply to
        no they was cooking and in the middle of cooking the lights were turned off. they forgot to turn the stove off. they left to pay bill by the time they got back the lights were back on and the food caught fire.
        • reply
          by jacques keyes on Apr 7, 2011 at 01:08 PM in reply to family
          thank u that waz my aunt
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 118549549 - witn.com/a?a=118549549
Gray Television, Inc.