Salvage Off Coast Of Beaufort Recovers Blackbeard's Cannon

Researchers this morning raised a one-ton cannon from the wreck of the pirate Blackbeard's ship, which has been on the ocean floor off the North Carolina coast for nearly 300 years.

The Queen Anne's Revenge Project brought the cannon onshore Wednesday. The project, named after the flagship, has been working since 1997 to salvage artifacts from the wreck.

The retrieved cannon will be on public display Wednesday in front of the state Maritime Museum in Beaufort before it's taken to a laboratory for further study.

After nearly three centuries underwater, the cannon has become encased in a cement-like shell of sand, salt and aquatic creatures. It could take years for researchers to learn exactly what the shell contains in addition to the cannon.

Previous Story

In an attempt to recover a cannon from Blackbeard's sunken ship, crews working on the shipwreck of the Queen Anne's Revenge have discovered other hidden treasures.

The divers found what they believe to be the lid that belongs to a set of seven bronze nesting weight cups recovered four years ago, according to the Jacksonville Daily News.

The ship lies in the waters off the coast of Carteret County, where it sank in 1718, just five months before Blackbeard was killed in a battle at Ocracoke Inlet. The wreck was discovered in 1996.

Previous Story

Much of the North Carolina coast is still recovering from Hurricane Irene, but the storm left the remains of Blackbeard's ship largely untouched.

The Daily News of Jacksonville reports that a new expedition this week to the sunken Queen Anne's Revenge has found the site weathered the storm fairly well.

Project director Mark Wilde-Ramsing says a sand berm near the site seems to help protect it from storm damage.

The four-week expedition this fall aims to recover one of the ship's largest cannons, along with cannon balls and other artifacts.

• by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Oct 26, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    Qudos to the diving team, and to all the expedition members. I think this is a great historical find for N.C. I can't wait to see it restored. Maybe next summer, the Maritime Museum will have one of the overhead TV's showing the restoration progress. I bet it has brass, inscriptions, etc...and will look awesome when totally restored.
  • by Shine Location: NE NC on Oct 26, 2011 at 09:27 AM
    I think there alot of artifacts discovered that would make her the "Queen Anne's Revenge". Boats....... it is kinda like the CIA,NCIS,FBI,Secret Service, SBI, ATF, etc. and local law enforcement...... they usually don't show their hand at anything.
  • by Shine Location: NE NC on Oct 15, 2011 at 03:47 AM
    Beach, I think she has been positivly identified and the Q/A/R. as far as history will take us back. If I remember when she was first discovered, investigation was done on the make up of the beam/strut/ and other composition. They seem to have located some other articles we have not heard as of yet. I think the discovery team is sure.......... otherwise they would not go to the expense. If you hear anything further - let me know ----- swcowboy1@hotmail.com (((( hey - hey........ SW stands for "Salt Water" unless I am land locked ----- then "Smith & Wesson". LOL
      by Boats on Oct 26, 2011 at 05:34 AM in reply to Shine
      I think everyone is pretty well convinced the wreck is the Queen Anne's Revenge. BUT.. The wreck has not been absolutely, positively identified as the QAR., it's just that with all the artifacts recovered so far, nothing has been found to indicate that the wreck is not the QAR.
  • by Beachbum3 on Oct 14, 2011 at 03:03 PM
    Question for someone out there? Has this shipwreck ever been officially listed with absoulte proof that this wreck is indeed the wreck of the queen annnes revenge or not . i was just wondering if proof has ever been found that it really is the Q.A.R. i mean like a ships name on what is left of the bow or a ships bell with the ships name on it . you know i mean absoutle proof of this wreck really truely being that of the queen annes revenge. thank you
  • by Mr. Teach on Oct 14, 2011 at 06:22 AM
    Awesome finds. I cannot wait to see what else comes from that site. If you have not been to the Blackbeard exhibit I highly recommend you do.
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Oct 14, 2011 at 05:57 AM
    I visited the Maritime Museum this summer with my sister, after enjoying a great meal at the Spouter Inn. I was amazed at all the exhibits and new updates at the Museum. It's free, but I left a small donation in the glass box as I left. I look forward to more additions from this shipwreck.
  • by Shine Location: NE NC on Oct 14, 2011 at 04:04 AM
    I hope they contiue to find more - history like that is so neat. Good luck and keep reporting the updates.
  • by Shine Location: NE NC on Oct 14, 2011 at 04:04 AM
  • by Connie Location: Greenville on Oct 5, 2011 at 07:44 AM
    That is so cool. I would love to watch!!!
      by down east on Oct 5, 2011 at 02:31 PM in reply to Connie
      I have been fishing out of Beaufort Inlet hundreds of times and went right over the site We will never know all thats in that water of the coast of N C
        by Wharf Rat on Oct 14, 2011 at 04:11 PM in reply to down east
        So have I. And if they find a cell phone there, it`s not Blackbeards, it`s mine!
          by porkchop on Oct 26, 2011 at 05:06 AM in reply to Wharf Rat
          Come on, Blackbeard didn't have a cell phone. Back then they had those wall mount phones with the crank on the side, where you would lift up the ear piece and say, "Sarah, get me the Governor."
          by Formerly O.L.I. on Oct 26, 2011 at 12:01 PM in reply to Wharf Rat
          Actually, I think they tied a note to a pigeon's foot and let it loose.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 131124518 - witn.com/a?a=131124518