Ex-Police Officer Guilty In Death Of Son

An Onslow County jury has found a father guilty of involuntary manslaughter in connection with the death of his 3-year-old son.

Robert Lewis, who is a former Camp Lejeune police officer, was given a suspended sentence and put on probation.

Tyler Lewis found a loaded handgun in their Onslow County home in 2009 and shot himself in the head.

Lewis' first trial back in March ended in a deadlocked jury. During that trial he was convicted on a weapons charge and given a 13 to 16 month prison sentence.

• by Anonymous on Sep 3, 2011 at 12:09 PM
    He don't look sad to me.
  • by Delta929 on Sep 2, 2011 at 05:14 PM
    If you agree with some of these posts here, then you have to also agree thatanyone who has ever had a child drown in the family pool (or otherwise) should be convicted and sent to jail. What's the difference? Only because a gun was involved do liberals and gunhaters get on their high horse. Dead is dead no matter the means.
  • by Wow on Sep 2, 2011 at 04:20 PM
    Our court system should be ashamed of themselves, this sentence is disgraceful, for crying out loud he was a police officer and knew the danger in keeping a loaded handgun where a 3 year old could and did have access to it, so if you want you child dead then just leave a gun where they can get it and you won't even serve any jail time. What a crock!!
      by Anonymous on Sep 2, 2011 at 08:53 PM in reply to Wow
      if it was me I be in jail for a long time.
  • by Pat Location: Kenansville on Sep 2, 2011 at 12:45 PM
    I agree with John of Richlands. If the mother was the only one with him that day then she should be included in punishment also.
  • by me on Sep 2, 2011 at 12:32 PM
    Yes this was a tragic accident, but I think him being a police officer makes this even more sad. He should have known better. I am sure (although not positive) that the police department has some type of training on what to do with your gun....like keep it locked up and away from kids! He should never be able to own a gun again...not responsible enough.
      by Patsy Cline on Sep 2, 2011 at 05:07 PM in reply to me
      So you have never laid a knife on the counter or ran off the side of the road or over the center line? You never talked or texted on the phone while driving. You've never done anything that in a moments hindsight might would have caused serious injury or even death to yourself or someone else? Do you honestly believe this man wanted his son dead? You are sick and hateful.
        by Anonymous on Sep 2, 2011 at 08:54 PM in reply to Patsy Cline
        I really don't text and drive.
          by Anonymous on Sep 3, 2011 at 09:00 PM in reply to
          Yes we notice you are PERFECT. Last I heard the only perfect person was crucified over 2000 yrs ago. We ALL got it coming. You may not have had anything happen in your life but it might one day. My aunt was shot by her 4 yr old son who thought he had a toy. It was left in the family car by a someone who owned a convenience mart. He closed shop on day before Xmas eve, took his gun and his deposit bag. The gun accidentally fell out of his coat during the drive. Should that 4 yr old be sent to prison?
  • by Anonymous on Sep 2, 2011 at 10:24 AM
    this was just a tragic accident. Hasn't this family suffered enough?
      by me on Sep 2, 2011 at 02:50 PM in reply to
      Well said. It was an accident.
        by Anonymous on Sep 2, 2011 at 05:21 PM in reply to me
        Call me when you get into that car accident when you just took your eyes off the road for a second.
  • by Compassion Location: Greenville on Sep 2, 2011 at 10:18 AM
    I will be praying for God's comfort for both parents, this was atragic accident that they will carry with them forever.I see no purpose in vilifying him I am sure he loved his son, but for a split second he let his guard down and now will carry that with him forever.
      by Carolinagirl965 on Sep 2, 2011 at 05:17 PM in reply to Compassion
      Yes the same split second that every HUMAN being has had at least once in their life. If not yet, then its coming to visit you as well soon enough. Some COMPASSION you are.
  • by John Location: Richlands on Sep 2, 2011 at 10:02 AM
    Granted he is now on probation does that come with community service? If so were he does it can make a huge impact on him and I'm sure he is already riddled with plenty of guilt. But if he was to do some kind in association to kids about or a little older than his would be. I'm sure a day does not go by that he does not think about what took place. Things he could have done another way. His now x wife should have some kind of punishment placed upon her since she was the only one left at home and if memory serves me she was a weapons enthusiast as well. Not all of this should be upon his shoulders. Now I'm not removing all or any of the guilt from him by any means.
  • by corruption central Location: Onslow County on Sep 2, 2011 at 09:46 AM
    They probably hand picked those called for jury duty this time around. It happens regularly in Onslow County. Have seen it first hand- know what I am talking about and it reeks! Our new, tiny little DA must be out to prove something. It could have been prevnted but this was a tragic accident. I'm staying childless for sure.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 129096338 - witn.com/a?a=129096338