Emerald Isle Approves Beach Parking Fees

Parking in the public access areas at one beach this summer will now, for the first time, cost visitors and residents.

Emerald Isle commissioners unanimously voted Tuesday night for the parking plan.

The five to zero vote means the city will start charging $10.00 to park at the beaches between April 1 and September 30 for those who want up close parking on the weekends and holidays.

The Town's estimated operating expenses for the two parking facilities are more than $75,000 annually. Commissioners say the change should bring in roughly $150,000 and help pay for two additional lifeguards.

PREVIOUS STORY:

One coastal community's leaders will consider enacting parking fees by the beach Tuesday.

Emerald Isle would become the first Crystal Coast beach town to charge for parking, if officials approve it.

Emerald Isle says it spends about $74,000 each year to keep its two lots clean and maintained. The town is considering charging each car $10 to park in the lots on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. That could bring in between in up to $338,000 net profit each year, according to the town.

The meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. Tuesday.

• by jamie Location: eastern nc on Jul 24, 2011 at 02:58 PM
    they won't be happy until they have gates on both the EI bridge and the AB bridge....here is to hoping for a Cat 5 to restore the original beauty back to both areas so we can enjoy the view without the million dollar homes blocking the view...guess if you don't have big money , they don't want ya...
  • by joey Location: NC on Mar 2, 2011 at 01:19 PM
    I think it's a great idea. It will keep the rednecks and trashy people off the beach. Too cheap to spend $10...go hunt or hang out in the trailer park.
  • by JIM Location: Swansboro on Mar 2, 2011 at 09:25 AM
    IT'S ANOTHER EI MONEY GRAB...I will go elsewhere. It's about time EI has forced me to go elsewhere.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 23, 2011 at 06:27 PM
    Wow!!! Why would I go to the Emerald Isle St. Patrick's Festival on Saturday March 12 and pay $10 for parking? That ad is all over the web. They want me to go to their town and spend money and then treat me in a most unfreindly NC way by charging me to park. I think not. http://www.emeraldisle-nc.org/StPats/default.htm
  • by buster Location: swansboro on Feb 23, 2011 at 02:41 PM
    that north wind blew a lot of trash down here. what about life guards! so much better in the 60's
  • by Ed Location: enc on Feb 14, 2011 at 04:06 PM
    I haven't eaten at an Emerald Isle restaurant that was better than "BO TIME".
  • by SFelts Location: New Bern on Feb 14, 2011 at 05:49 AM
    Please go to http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/boycott-emerald-isle-beach-nc-and-their-1000-a-day-parking/ and sign the petition Let your voices heard. There is a facebook widget on the petition. Pass it along to all your friends and family
  • by dallas Location: newport on Feb 14, 2011 at 05:25 AM
    Many people saying they will just stay away from EI. Thats exactly why they passed the parking fee, to make it a private beach. I'm going to show up and i hope the msaaes show up and clog there streets waiting for some one to leave to get a parking spot. Oh and I'm gona bring my food and drink from somewhere else , since they now have more money than they need for garbage collection they won't mind a little extra to haul away. Come on folks let's give them what the want.
  • by fedup Location: new bern on Feb 14, 2011 at 02:00 AM
    its just another way to raise taxes without saying we are raising taxes, but i have a choice like everyone else, and i choose not to pay the tax.. just my two cents
  • by Mac on Feb 13, 2011 at 10:02 PM
    I miss the real Emerald Isle Beach Music Festival

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 115547609 - witn.com/a?a=115547609