Crystal Coast Towns Considering Paid Parking At The Beach

It may soon cost you to park at several beach towns on the Crystal Coast.

Atlantic Beach, Beaufort and Emerald Isle are considering charging vehicles to park at their public parking lots. The idea was discussed in Emerald Isle at last week's town board meeting.

Emerald Isle says it spends about $74,000 each year to keep the two lots clean and maintained. Emerald Isle is considering charging each car between $5 and $10 to park in the lots each day. That could bring in between $49,000 and $338,000 net profit each year, according to the town.

If enacted, they would become the first beach towns in our area to charge for beach parking at public lots. A final decision is expected early next year.

• by Caroline Location: MHC on Jan 6, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    There will not be many locals going to the beach if they have to pay to park. That's really sad to be a resident of Carteret Co. and have to pay to enjoy the beach!
  • by Mark Location: Remote EI Owner on Dec 31, 2010 at 06:55 AM
    $74K is outrageous. Why not invite some inmates to spend the day at the beach cleaning up the mess for free like they did to remove the debris from the renourishment. Then the tourists can still have a free place to park, the inmates get some exercise and the public gets some use out of mostly useless labor sitting around the local jails.
  • by Sam Location: Kitty Hawk on Dec 28, 2010 at 07:46 AM
    As long as Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, Nags Head, and Duck does not do this, I'll be fine. To Kim of Indianapolis, Emerald Isle and Atlantic beach are the CRYSTAL COAST, Not the Outer Banks. Those are 2 separate places. Tom, as a Dare County beach resident and a proud and happy to be CPA, I think you may need to tone down your talk. You sound really arrogant and bitter. Just cause you have a lot of money does not mean you act like you thing don't stick. If you have a problem with all these others, why don't you go to Figure 8 Island or Bald Head Island where they are private. They are near Wilmington.
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Dec 28, 2010 at 05:12 AM
    Fort Macon State Park is free parking.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 28, 2010 at 04:35 AM
    I wonder if Tom is even from Carteret County? Made it what is today, what a joke. I am from this area and hate the changes that have been made. Enjoy your imported seafood hopefully the steroids and chemicals won't cause your children any problems.
  • by a middle class EI citizen Location: Emerald Isle on Dec 23, 2010 at 11:08 AM
    Tom- I am extremely offended by your comments! While Emerald Isle offers a home to many affluent families it is also the home to MANY more middle class citizens. What makes our town such a wonderful place to live is the amazing people who live here whether they live in an ocean front home or the travel park homes. I love raising my family in our town and I pray that they never have to experience such negative and biased opinions like yours! If you don't like the tourist than maybe you should move!
  • by Tom Location: Emerald Isle, NC on Dec 22, 2010 at 02:48 PM
    We are the reason Emerald Isle is what it is today. It is a beautiful beach town that offers a place for the affluent in society to go and get away from the rag tag working class. You can go to other "public beaches" and swig your beer and eat your fried chicken. We are not interested in this class of people polluting our fine beaches and ruining our fine shopping centers. Here is our place for fine dining and evenings out as well as providing our children with a cultured upbringing. Your tax dollars and hard earned money stops at the bridge so we end up supporting your "vacation" and maintaining our beaches anyway. Billy Ray and Jimmy John cannot touch here, because we have our own Jean Preston.
  • by Yeah, Right on Dec 22, 2010 at 01:14 PM
    Last time I was at Atlantic Beach, it was not even worth the free parking to be there.
  • by wow on Dec 22, 2010 at 06:48 AM
    DUH...I don't think their names are Billy Ray, and Jimmy John. No one like that is allowed to serve on the boards. All transplants. Does this mean that the beach accesses that the N.C. tax payers paid for will now have to pay again to park? Or do you have some unknown lots somewhere that you are speaking of? I may be wrong, but I thought those accesses were part of the beach replenishing plan. The fine tax payers of N.C. paid for....for the sand that sits outside your fine ocean front property. Now we have to pay again to sit on it. This is so wrong! It's not the wealthy that would be affected by this, as they rent the fine homes with ocean views within walking distant of the water, but the surrounding counties that come for the day with their families. If you are spending $74,000 for 4 months out of the year to keep those 2 lots you speak of clean, you are what the tax payers are talking about, wasteful spending. I will do it for much less. Fine way to vote yourself a raise!
  • by Bob P Location: Newport on Dec 22, 2010 at 06:23 AM
    I bought a place here 8 yrs ago, to come from MN. to enjoy the beach. I pay County tax in Carterette Co.If Emerald Isle starts charging to park , I will sell my place and move to a more frindly place. Its time politicians start to watch after taxpayers, rather than gouge them.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112261219 - witn.com/a?a=112261219