Elderly Grifton Fire Victim At UNC Burn Center

An elderly man who is mostly confined to a wheelchair is in the UNC Burn Center after accidentally setting himself on fire.

Grifton police say Henry Miller was severely burned at his Grayhill Circle apartment Thursday night, telling police he was trying to thaw meat on the stove when his clothing and a blanket caught fire. Neighbors were able to put out the fire while police say they found no food items on the stove.

According to police his home health nurse says the man probably had a lit cigarette on the stove top, as he had done in the past.

Miller was first sent to Pitt County Memorial Hospital and then transferred to the burn center in Chapel Hill where he is in fair condition.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 1, 2011 at 07:33 PM
    How come the Fire Dept. was not called till after E.M.S. got there?
  • by aww on Apr 1, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    this is horrible. when will people realize smoking kills........
  • by Aunt B on Apr 1, 2011 at 08:41 AM
    Pray for his recovery...
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119062694 - witn.com/a?a=119062694
Gray Television, Inc.