Local Veterans Remind Us Our Freedom Was Not Given To Us

Communities in the east joined others across the nation Monday in honoring those who have served our country and especially those who paid the ultimate sacrifice.

Sacrifice was remembered Monday as service members, veterans, their families, and others who celebrate freedom met at the Greenville Town Common to pay tribute.

"I was on Normandy Beach. I was in four major battles, and i made it back home," said Army WW II Veteran Robert Cherry.

Others did not make it home, and on this Memorial Day, from Greenville to Washington in Beaufort county, and all across the east Their memory was not forgotten.

"These men and women were selfless. They died for us to defend our freedom," said disabled veteran James Kladis.

President of the Pitt County Veterans Council James Kladis knows all about sacrifice. He was injured in the Marine Corps. He's asking all of us to remember those who serve, especially those who paid the ultimate sacrifice so we all can live free.

"Take a moment, stop, and think about the men and women who died for those rights. Those rights weren't given to you. They were earned by the sweat and blood of the men and women that died," said Kladis.

"It's important, less we forget. Be thankful that we live in a place where we can be thankful," said Army Chaplain and Korean War Veteran Lyn Barnes.

• by Anonymous on Jun 1, 2011 at 06:16 PM
    JH, it does no good to argue with someone like this. There are still some appreciative citizens in this country and I am one of them.
  • by Vet on May 30, 2011 at 07:02 PM
    I wonder how many vets understand the Patriot Act and how many of our freedoms that they fought for are being taken away daily?
      by Mike on May 30, 2011 at 11:37 PM in reply to Vet
      Move. Every President has had "exectutive powers". The patriot act was not dream up and executed outside of America's system of "checks and balances".
  • by Formerly THE Voice Location: Berkeley, CA on May 30, 2011 at 06:45 PM
    Memorial Day should be set aside to remember ALL who have died in war, which is the most harrowing failure of diplomacy. Instead, it has become another political rallying day to challenge the patriotism of anyone who doesn't get misty eyed at a bunch of overweight veterans spoon feeding the public with flag waving rhetoric. I choose not to fly a flag, bow to this country's "heroes", or undertake in any of the all-american activities that we are support to participate in or thank our "heroes" for the privilege of such activities. Instead, I have taken today help my fellow man by volunteering at a soup kitchen here in the Bay Area and contemplating what the world would be like if we, in the words of John Lennon, "...give peace a chance". I don't believe that we will see it in our lifetime, but we can try.
      by Anonymous on May 30, 2011 at 08:07 PM in reply to Formerly THE Voice
      For you to be stating this is due to the military who have ught for the right of free speech. Be against the war all you want, but not the warriors. And the reason you can choose to insult the heroes of this country is also duetp the veterans. It would take everyone to "give peace a chance" not just the US. Oh, and by thte way, might I ask what brance of the service your served?
  • by Formerly THE Voice Location: Berkeley, CA on May 30, 2011 at 06:34 PM
    Memorial Day should be set aside to remember ALL who have died in war, which is the most harrowing failure of diplomacy. Instead, it has become another political rallying day to challenge the patriotism of anyone who doesn't get misty eyed at a bunch of overweight, sniveling veterans spoon feeding the public with flag waving rhetoric. I choose not to fly a flag or undertake in any of the all-american activities that we are support to participate in another "bow to the troops" jubilee celebration. Instead, I have taken today help my fellow man by volunteering at a soup kitchen here in the Bay Area and contemplating what the world would be like if we, in the words of John Lennon, "...give peace a chance". I don't believe that we will see it in our lifetime, but we can try.
      by JH on May 31, 2011 at 05:43 PM in reply to Formerly THE Voice
      You obviously did not serve for you country so maybe you should join the rest of your California As-holes who think they know so much when you really don't know sh-t. I know these Veterans personally and they have done more for this country then you ever will so maybe you should move to Pakistan so My brothers in Arms can show you what we have to do.
        by Formerly THE Voice on May 31, 2011 at 07:44 PM in reply to JH
        At least I have never killed anyone. Typical ENC response. Uneducated redneck.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 122844009 - witn.com/a?a=122844009