UPDATE: Early Voting 1st Day Brings Out Nearly 200 Voters In Pitt County

Nearly 200 people took advantage of the first day of early voting in Pitt county.

Pitt County Director of Elections Dave Davis says between the two voting sites at the Pitt County Agricultural Center on Government Circle and the Alice F. Keene Park Community Schools and Recreation Building on County Home Road- 176 people voted Thursday. Five of those registered Thursday as well.

PREVIOUS STORY:
Eastern Carolina residents can officially cast their ballots for the Nov. 8 elections.

Early voting began Thursday and runs through Saturday, Nov. 5. People who have not registered to vote, or are unsure if they are registered, can register and cast a vote at the same time. Those not registered to vote can not vote on election day.

There are no state-wide elections on the ballots, only municipal races.

In Greenville, there are two challengers to the incumbent mayor. There are several candidates running for the city's city council at-large seat. In Kinston, voters will decide whether the mayor should have veto power.

• by Back to Basics Location: Greenville, NC on Oct 20, 2011 at 11:16 AM
    Time for fiscal responsibility in Greenville - www.greenvillecitycouncil.com.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 20, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    WITN, It would be useful if you could educate the voters of the candidates platforms. Or is there website you could direct us too. Thank you.
  • by B Location: Gville on Oct 20, 2011 at 08:35 AM
    VOTE EARLY AND VOTE OFTEN!
      by Archie Bunker on Oct 20, 2011 at 11:53 PM in reply to B
      No ID required I think I will vote at least 4 times this year.
  • by Info? on Oct 20, 2011 at 08:34 AM
    Where can we find info on the candidates? Here's info on where and how to vote: http://www.pittcountync.gov/depts/elections/documents/one-stop.pdf At least here's the candidates: http://ncvoterguide.org/greenville/ Thanks for nothing, WITN.
  • by The Original ENC Location: enc on Oct 20, 2011 at 08:31 AM
    I hear Ron Cooper in the Winterville race is a good guy and Stearn in Greenville...
  • by Anonymous on Oct 20, 2011 at 07:11 AM
    Yep, vote today and when something really bad comes out about the person you voted for before election day, you cannot take your vote back.
      by Anne on Oct 20, 2011 at 08:53 AM in reply to
      Hey, I might drop dead before election day so I'm voting today. I've done my research and know exactly where to cast my ballot and who the best candidates are. Locally, it's not rocket science.
        by Anonymous on Oct 20, 2011 at 04:33 PM in reply to Anne
        I don't know anything about the Mayoral candidates in Greenville are there any sources to inform the voters.
          by April Davis on Oct 20, 2011 at 05:25 PM in reply to
          Here is a story we did about all the candidates speaking at a luncheon Tuesday: http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/Mayoral_Candidates_To_Speak_At_Luncheon_132035758.html
  • by Anonymous on Oct 20, 2011 at 07:10 AM
    Early voting is a chance to vote early and often.
  • by ralphie Location: ahoskie on Oct 20, 2011 at 07:06 AM
    WHY did the governor refuse to sign the cheating at elections law? VILE NASTY WITCH!
      by Anonymous on Oct 20, 2011 at 08:54 AM in reply to ralphie
      Because it was a bad, partisan law, VILE NASTY TROLL.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 20, 2011 at 05:25 AM
    Early Voting is just the democrat plan for cheating.
      by Really? - DC on Oct 20, 2011 at 06:16 AM in reply to
      Yeah its such an evil plan because as we all know, everyone is free on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November between 7am and 7pm.
      by uh on Oct 20, 2011 at 06:39 AM in reply to
      Actually, it's the working person's plan for getting to vote amidst hectic, tightly scheduled work days.
      by Really!!! on Oct 20, 2011 at 06:57 AM in reply to
      True, folks should have to wait for just one day to vote!! Waiting in line for hours is fun!! I can leave my job whenever I want and go vote and stay gone as long as I want to. I also think we should bring back the poll tax and only allow certain folks to vote. Because only certain type of folks should have the RIGHT to vote anyway!! If they are white round eyed anglosaxon baptist, then they should vote, everybody else, no!! Them other folks just don't know what's right. Spoken from a true right wing facist. The only limitation to voting should be: proof of ID, but voting should be as easy and convient for WORKING folks as possible!!!!
        by Anon on Oct 20, 2011 at 07:28 AM in reply to Really!!!
        I was with you til you pulled the ole race card. So sick of that crutch.
      by Obama Snake Oil Co on Oct 20, 2011 at 11:45 AM in reply to
      Well, based on the 2008 elections results...some people don't know enough about who is running to vote...ever..ever again. Then there are the intelligent ones that showed up in 2010 to repair the damage of the 08 election. However, when 2012 comes, we can finally repair some of the damage caused by Obama in the Whitehose. It now has termites, the roof leaks, those curtains? geez, the stones are loose, the plumbing leaks and the toilets don't flush. A real fixer upper...
        by STATUS QUO on Oct 20, 2011 at 07:17 PM in reply to Obama Snake Oil Co
        It will NOT make any difference!! If you think otherwise, you're in a rabbit hole smoking hopeium!! BOTH party due the bidding of special interests and you KNOW it!!! Gini coefficient has worsened under BOTH partys x 30 yrs!! Open your eyes girl!!!!!!!
        by uh on Oct 20, 2011 at 08:55 PM in reply to Obama Snake Oil Co
        When someone is so desperate as to insult others' intelligence based on political differences, the debate is conceded on the very same basis.
  • by Alamo Joe Location: Farmville on Oct 20, 2011 at 05:24 AM
    During the last municipal election, I took advantage of the early voting in Farmville. To my surprise, I found one of the poll workers ASLEEP when I approached the information table! She continued to sleep even as I gave my information to another worker. Is this a good use of taxpayers' money? By the way, she was STILL asleep as I left the polling place. Afterward, I called the Board of Elections to voice my concern.
      by really? on Oct 20, 2011 at 06:39 AM in reply to Alamo Joe
      you say you gave your info to another worker who was not sleeping ? so whats your concern then ? stop whining like a lil child. im sure youve never been tired or sleepy on the job. grow up tattle tale.
        by Alamo Joe on Oct 20, 2011 at 06:05 PM in reply to really?
        My concern is that MY taxpayer money is being spent for someone sleeping on the job! I have since learned that this woman has worked at another polling place in Pitt County and the same thing happened. If you slept on the job, wouldn't you be fired...especially if the behavior is repeated? Poll workers are not volunteers; they do get paid, but as Harriet states, it is not much...minimum wage. What kind of image does it project to the public when someone sleeps on the job?
      by Grandmere on Oct 20, 2011 at 06:52 AM in reply to Alamo Joe
      I believe that those people are volunteers.
        by Harriet on Oct 20, 2011 at 08:55 AM in reply to Grandmere
        Nope, they are paid but it's not much.
        by Anonymous on Oct 20, 2011 at 11:53 AM in reply to Grandmere
        No people working at the polls get paid, and paid good.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 132223823 - witn.com/a?a=132223823