ECU To Face Maryland In Military Bowl

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The Military Bowl announced Sunday that the University of Maryland has officially accepted its invitation to represent the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) in the Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman benefiting the USO. Maryland will face Conference USA representative East Carolina University (ECU) on December 29 at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C. The game will be televised live on ESPN at 2:30 p.m. ET.

“We couldn’t be happier with the Maryland-East Carolina match-up for the 2010 Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman,” said Steve Beck, Executive Director of the Military Bowl. “For the thousands of Terrapins fans in the region, this will be a great opportunity to support their team in a bowl game in their own backyard. Early indications are that Pirate fans will be here in significant numbers as well. What better way to introduce our new partners – Northrop Grumman and the USO – to D.C.’s bowl game than to have a highly competitive game with a tremendous crowd at RFK Stadium.”

Ralph Friedgen’s Terrapins finished the season one game shy of the ACC Championship game with an 8-4 record (5-3 ACC) after rallying to upset then-No. 23 North Carolina State 38-31 in their final game of the regular season. Friedgen, who was named 2010 ACC Coach of the Year, has led Maryland to seven bowl game appearances since being named head coach in 2001.

“We are looking forward to playing in another bowl game,” said Friedgen. “Our kids have worked really hard this season and it’s a tribute to them that we’ve reached the postseason again. We hope to represent the ACC well in the Military Bowl.”

East Carolina (6-6, 5-3 C-USA) will be making a school-record fifth consecutive bowl appearance and its seventh since 2000. First-year head coach Ruffin McNeill has transformed the Pirates into one of the nation’s top offensive teams, averaging 38.2 points per game.

“We are looking forward to the challenge of playing Maryland, a tradition-rich program out of a conference which has our highest respect,” first-year ECU Head Coach Ruffin McNeill said. “Coach Friedgen’s record and accomplishments speak for themselves, and because of that, I know we’ll be facing a quality, disciplined and very well-coached opponent. We are excited to have another opportunity to accomplish something special for this senior class, especially against a team the caliber of Maryland.”

The game pits one of the nation’s best offensive teams against one of the nation’s top defensive teams. ECU’s high-scoring offense is propelled by its air attack, which averages 319.3 yards passing per game (7th in the nation). The Pirates are led by junior quarterback Dominique Davis, who has thrown for 3,699 yards and 36 touchdowns, and senior wide receiver Dwayne Harris, who has 1,055 yards receiving and 10 touchdowns. ECU has upset one ACC team already this season, handing North Carolina State a 33-27 overtime defeat in October.

Maryland counters with a stout defense that ranked 38th in the nation in points allowed at 22.3 per game. Redshirt freshman quarterback Danny O’Brien leads the offense with 2,257 yards passing and 21 touchdowns, including a dominating performance in his last game versus North Carolina State (33-47, 417 yards, 4 touchdowns, 0 interceptions).

Tickets are priced at $25, $55 and $90 and can be purchased at Ticketmaster.com, all Ticketmaster locations or by calling 800-555-SEAT. Tickets for the popular “Military Bowl Official Tailgate Party” at the DC Armory can be purchased

for $20 with game tickets. Any unsold tickets to the Tailgate Party will be made available to the public on an individual basis beginning December 15. In addition, ticket packages that include a family four-pack, featuring four $25 tickets and a game program are available for $80, and there are group discounts for 10 or more.

The Military Bowl was launched in 2008 as the EagleBank Bowl and was recently re-branded with new title sponsor Northrop Grumman with the USO as charitable partner. Northrop Grumman, which announced earlier this year its plan to relocate its corporate offices from Los Angeles to Falls Church, Va. is a global security company specializing in aerospace, electronics, information systems, shipbuilding and technical services. A nonprofit, congressionally chartered, private organization, the USO relies on the generosity of individuals, organizations and corporations to support its activities and is most widely known for supporting the troops in the field during times of conflict.

• by Mark Location: Greenville on Dec 20, 2010 at 03:59 PM
    PK I think I may need an appointment to see you one day.
  • by PK on Dec 19, 2010 at 07:40 PM
    Mark: Thanks. You and I both get Dave's lack of wit and apparent lack of employment that would give him a bit of self-respect. This is a sad thing; I come from a family of modest means and I think ANY work is honorable. Something else Dave is lacking is the ability to do a little honest self-introspection. We both have this ability. For me, you're absolutely right, I get wayyy to wordy and convoluted in my postings at times, lol! At work, I dictate my patient notes. I work at a practice once a month at the beach that uses a woman that does the transcription. She is always on me about being too lengthy and using "big words". She's a recovering person that uses the old AA refrain with me all the time- KISS, "Keep It Simple Stupid". You know what? She's right. I can't promise I'll change though; it's how I think. I hope you and yours have a great holiday!
  • by Mark Location: Greenville on Dec 19, 2010 at 11:34 AM
    ok...so a few days off and a few hours studying the dictionary and thesaurus and I am back and I must say that PK is growing on me!! I sincerely apologize for the dissertation comments and zzzzz remark. I got carried away and forgot we need to completely take care of and abolish DAVE!! Dave is dry...and coins only unintelligent remarks that smell of a bathroom rebuttle to a signature someone had the "time" to pen. Merry Christmas Dave and when the "Pirates down in Pirateville" start to sing even though you have tried to take our presents and Christmas away, I hope your heart grows three sizes!! If not, then I hope you enjoy re-stocking the shirts in the Pirate Wal-Mart area hahahahaha
  • by PK on Dec 18, 2010 at 01:43 PM
    Dave: Suffice to say, I don't believe one word of that! lol.
  • by Dave Location: A better place than you on Dec 18, 2010 at 10:15 AM
    PK I got bored after the first few words of your rant so I didn't bother to finish reading it. Anyway, I'm glad that you care about me so much that you chomp at the bit waiting for me to respond to your long winded speeches.
  • by PK on Dec 17, 2010 at 05:14 PM
    Dave: We old-timers on here remember the days when you naively posted of future career glory. Those days are over, as many predicted. Welcome to your downward spiral. For the record, I HATE soaps, as much as I hate all these "Housewives" shows that currently pollute the airwaves. Never heard of Victor Newman, until YOU that is! Thanks for the "education", lol! Somehow you watching cheesy soaps seems to fit. Do you DVR them? Or is under-employment leaving you free to watch them as they're aired? I do know who Gilligan is! Regarding your move- as I have told you before- unfortunately you have to bring you with you. This is your handicap in perpetuity. Maybe you could go back to school and get a real degree? Or still holding out for that "editing" job? Too funny. Dave and Y&R, goes together like insecure self-loathing and lashing out at the locals on a local message board. If you bring pizza to my practice over the holidays- NO black olives! Thanks.
  • by Antidave Location: Next state over on Dec 17, 2010 at 01:22 PM
    Sorry for the incomplete sentence in my previous post. Last sentence should read; but what ever floats your boat.
  • by Antidave Location: Next state over on Dec 17, 2010 at 01:02 PM
    Dave: Wow, a commodity...Victor Newman...Young and the Restless! Someone has an over inflated ego. A more masculine choice would have been JR from Dallas but.
  • by Dave Location: 34th floor on Dec 17, 2010 at 12:20 PM
    Come on now PK, you claim to be so wise and have never heard of Victor Newman? One doesn't even have to watch soaps to know who that is. Let me guess, you have never heard of J.R. on Dallas, or Gilligan either?
  • by Dave Location: 10th Floor on Dec 17, 2010 at 12:13 PM
    PK: I secretly enjoy watching the "Young and the Restless" while eating bon bons and sipping on tea. As for the location; the sooner I leave this dump the better.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111354014 - witn.com/a?a=111354014