UTEP Tops Pirates 22-17

EL PASO, Texas (AP) -- Joe Banyard ran for a 77-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter to put UTEP in the lead for good in a 22-17 win over East Carolina Saturday night in El Paso.

Banyard finished the game with 140 rushing yards and the Miners (5-5, 2-4 C-USA) accumulated 241 rushing yards as a team. Sophomore Carson Meger, who came in for the injured Nick Lamaison, passed for 155 yards.

UTEP had a total of 429 yards of offense on the night.

East Carolina (4-6, 3-3) quarterback Dominique Davis was 18 for 34 and threw for 133 yards with one touchdown. Torrance Hunt was the Pirates' leading rusher with 54 yards while Michael Dobson ran for 43 yards and a touchdown.

Previous Story:
Steven Valadez nailed a 46-yard field goal with 35 seconds left in the first half to push the UTEP lead to 16-7.

Leilyon Myers scored from 2 yards out to give the Miners at 13-7 lead in the second quarter.

UTEP has scored a touchdown on an interception return for at touchdown to make it 7-6 ECU.

ECU has taken a 7-0 lead against UTEP in the first quarter thanks to a Michael Dobson 2 yard touchdown run.

The Pirates capitalized on a fumbled punt return by the Miners.

• by Anonymous 100 on Nov 14, 2011 at 02:51 PM
    ECU had a good coach when they had Logan, but the powers that be acted foolishly. From the time he left until now, ECU has had NOTHING to write home about. I was a big time supporter of Logan and haven't had to worry about supporting ECU since. I want ECU to win, but they can't win under conditions that now exists. A few bad apples make all the others stink, like it or not! As for Terry Holland, he can go back where he came from as far as I'm concerned. He has been a total disappointment to put it mildly. As for the football coach, I think he must have come here for his health rather than ECU football. I gave him a chance when he came here and as far as I'm concerned, he has failed. Why can't those doing the hiring get it right! Actually they are the ones to blame! Where is Logan? Get him back and ECU will be back on the map in no time flat!
  • by west florida grad Location: greenville on Nov 14, 2011 at 06:50 AM
    The last real football game that's been played in Greenville is now almost two years removed. The CUSA championship game was a high water mark for this program. Since, " I'll address that" has been here its just a talk, talk ,talk . The same mistakes over and over. Doing the same thing each and every week expecting a different outcome is insane. Stop the madness. Ruff is not the man for the job now or in the future.
  • by Anonymous Location: NC on Nov 13, 2011 at 05:00 PM
    Look on pages 8 and 9 at this link and you will see that ECU Athletics will receive over $11,800,000 this year from student fees that each student is required to pay to enroll at ECU, over $400 per student. How are students benefitting from this compared to using the money for other purposes? http://www.ecu.edu/cs-admin/bot/upload/004-Athletics-and-Advancement.pdf
  • by WILL on Nov 13, 2011 at 04:27 PM
    better make some changes!!! the football program is gettn about as pathetic as the basketball program!!!!
  • by Russ Location: Henderson on Nov 13, 2011 at 01:14 PM
    Just more of the same from DD.
  • by JDLadd Location: my pad on Nov 13, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    NO BOWL GAME FOR EZU THIS SEASON!! That is pathetic when you cannot win 6 games in CUSA.
      by LOL! on Nov 14, 2011 at 05:27 AM in reply to JDLadd
      Dave: Now that you have been shamed into a turtle-like posture here, you revert to your pseudonym of JDLadd. Pathetic, still.
  • by Mike Location: Washington on Nov 13, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    As a fan, but not an ECU grad, I have one question for Terry Holland: Why would you spend 10's of millions of dollars on facility upgrades and hire a 3rd rate coach? Lack of mental toughness lack of discipline on and off the field = football that is sad and pathetic to watch; let alone donate any of people's hard earned money.
  • by Black Beard Location: Off Ockracoke on Nov 13, 2011 at 08:49 AM
    I am a Pirate Grad and have been a Pirate fan all of my adult life. I am okay with losing a game on occasion. What I have grown to love in the years of following the Pirates is the chip on our shoulder mentality and the us against the world attitude.When we field a team that plays uninspired and with out heart is what gets me the most.The We Believe Era is our identity and until we find that edge again Pirate Football as we knew it is over.The move on to next play philosophy has to change. It has to be we got to get that back attitude.I as a fan want to Believe but we keep getting our spirit broken.
      by Anonymous on Nov 13, 2011 at 10:29 AM in reply to Black Beard
      That chip on the shoulder attitude is long gone and the last vestiges went out the window in Logan's last few years when the players would hold hands and skip out onto the field before the game.
        by Ed Teach on Nov 13, 2011 at 02:36 PM in reply to
        I think Skip had them playing like hat. We won the conference twice and on some big games. If not for sone injury issues his last year, we might've been even better. I don't mind being underdogs and I don't mind Conference USA or never having a shot at a national title, but I do like to see us win and upset the big boys. Heart. We need to play with heart.
          by Anonymous on Nov 13, 2011 at 09:56 PM in reply to Ed Teach
          Well said, well said.
      by Chuck on Nov 13, 2011 at 11:39 AM in reply to Black Beard
      Like the Singer said in a song. "There Ain't No Light-There Ain't no light"!!! ECU Will finish 4-8 or 5-7 at best.Cannot see how ECU Can beat C.Florida & Marshall.I Don't Like UCF Coach O'Leary & Despise Marshall AD Hamrick.So Beating Both Of Them Would make me Happy!! "Really Hope ECU CAn Beat UCF this weekend & Send the Cocky O'Leary back home with a losing season.THen UCF Will be at home like ECU Drinking Koolaid & Watching Cartoons during holidays. Took a look at C-USA Schedules.Very Bad Conference loaded with losing teams. Houston,Tulsa,& S.Miss are the only good teams out of the 12 total C-USA Teams this year. Another Losing Season for ECU: WE Waited & Looked forward to 2011 Season & Then ECU Let us down. Nothing to look forward to with ECU Football.
  • by The Original ENC Location: enc on Nov 13, 2011 at 08:28 AM
    We stink...have so for many years...Holtz was a bright spot. The ticket prices are OUTRAGEOUS for what this program is...I used to buy season tickets, but have stopped...saved the money, saved the hassle and enjoy it from home. Get a new coach, focus on the basics, recruit better, lower ticket prices to make it family friendly...and don't believe the hype...we are a sub 500 team
      by Formerly Pirateman on Nov 13, 2011 at 10:30 AM in reply to The Original ENC
      No! No! Don't recruit better!! Recruit more from North Carolina!!! That's more important than talent and it'll make me feel better. Why? I don't know, but it'll just make me feel better!
      by Chuck on Nov 13, 2011 at 11:45 AM in reply to The Original ENC
      I Think The ECU Program has gotten too big for its britches,Very High Ticket Prices,Severe parking problems. I Park in Reserved parking # 124 space behind stadium like i have for about 30 years. This year i cannot get out of the parking lot because Stupid {Police make me turn left * Dump us out on back streets with no police directing traffic & No Stop lights.Dumbest thing i have ever seen. I Have just about had enough of Paying High Prices to see ECU LOse & Putting up with this traffic problem.
        by Chuck on Nov 14, 2011 at 12:57 PM in reply to Chuck
        I Meant to say "Police make me Turn Right" from back of stadium & Then Make me turn right again onto Rosewood Drive.No Traffic lights & No Police directing traffic on these streets. THis makes no sense because this street empys onto Greenville Blvd where it is impossible to get onto. Oh Yea,No POlice directing traffic at this intersection. Has never been this way in past 30 years.Guess this is something new by the stupid police dept.;
  • by KoolAid Location: Dreamland on Nov 13, 2011 at 07:08 AM
    Fox will broadcast the ECU vs UCF football game nationally next Saturday. Let's all go to the game, pack Dowdy, show our purple pride!
      by Keep Drinkin' on Nov 13, 2011 at 08:48 AM in reply to KoolAid
      All you guys complaining about givin money with no results, then turn around and pack the stadium, giving Holland what he wants. If you don't like the product, don't buy it...just sayin'..
        by Anonymous on Nov 13, 2011 at 10:32 AM in reply to Keep Drinkin'
        I bought and I'm done. I'd rather be hunting, fishing and watching other REAL football programs. It hasn't happened at ECU in my lifetime so far and it ain't gonna happen!!
      by Cable guy on Nov 13, 2011 at 08:56 AM in reply to KoolAid
      No. Waste of time, money, and patience.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 133752698 - witn.com/a?a=133752698