ECU Sigma Phi Epsilon Chapter Charter Revoked

A fraternity that has been at East Carolina University for almost 50 years has had its charter revoked and could not be back on campus for at least four years.

The national organization of Sigma Phi Epsilon, also known as Sig Ep, decided to revoke the charter for the East Carolina chapter. Officials with the organization say they along with ECU officials have been working the past three years to reorganize, but say,"The chapter has continued to act in ways and put themselves and others at risk, as a national organization we have a responsibility."

There was an investigation into allegations of hazing, but those were not proven. Now officials say they revoked the charter because of policy and procedure violations, also because they believe members were not living up to the Sig Ep standards. But fraternity members say they plan to fight this decision.

Allen Wooten, President of the ECU chapter of Sig Ep says, "They came down here for one thing and made a judgment call and then the next thing you know we are losing our charter and it all happened quickly. We are doing best to reorganize and prepare for the appeal."

Wooten also says the fraternity has done a lot of good things on campus. For now those that live in the house must leave and the charter could possibly not be reinstated for four years.

• by Bullish Location: S. Florida on Jan 2, 2011 at 04:21 AM
    It's funny how the critical entries to abolish all fraternities are from people that were never part of one. So I guess it couldn't possibly have anything to offer if you weren't part of one "right"? I live 1000 miles away from ECU. I have 40 - 50 people I keep in touch with from my fraternity. I go skiing in Tahoe with them. I have business dealing with them. I have members I've helped in life, and had times where members helped me. If I haven't back to greenville in 5 years, I have a place to go and it's like I saw them yesterday. Sure I partied in school. Who didn't? The knuckle heads from my freshman dorm caused a helluva lot more trouble, and did a lot more drugs than anyone in my fraternity. Where are those knuckleheads now? Helping anybody? Giving help? Even keeping in touch? Do they ever even have a reason to set foot on ECU campus? I feel bad for Sig EP. It's unfortunate a whole organization goes down because of a few bad apples. Good luck Guys!!
  • by bob Location: clarkton on Jan 1, 2011 at 07:32 PM
    Greeks become the leaders of our society, and, yes, 'Animal House' is my life story...and I make well into six figures per year with minimum work...by the way, 'Animal House/ is on directv tonight...being Tivo'd...Greek all the way...it is still amazing how jealous those are who didn't make the cut.
  • by ECU Alum/Fraternity Alum Location: Gvegas on Dec 14, 2010 at 09:54 AM
    ECU Alum/Sorority Alum... great point about the famous leaders. However, Martin Luther King was an HONORARY member of Alpha Phi Alpha and was inducted after he was already dead. So his mentioning is completely irrelevant. But i wish the best of luck to Sigma Phi Epsilon. I too, know how it feels to be under investigation and possibly having a charter taken. These guys do good for the community, and also throw great parties... but that is another story.
  • by Data Man on Dec 13, 2010 at 10:06 AM
    Just because people of power belonged to a sorority or fraternity doesnt mean that they are good. Well known people were members of the kkk, bloods, crips...etc. So dont tell me that!
  • by ECU Alum/Sorority Alum on Dec 9, 2010 at 08:31 AM
    Membership in a sorority or fraternity is not a waste of time. Ask these famous leaders who were fraternity/sorority members: Ronald Reagan, George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, Theodore Roosevelt, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Condoleezza Rice, Warren Buffet, Martin Luther King, Jr., Elizabeth Dole....the list goes on.
  • by Data Man on Dec 8, 2010 at 07:02 PM
    Greek Letters come from Greek gods. this stuff does not mean anything good. stay away from this stuff.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 8, 2010 at 06:11 AM
    This is absolutely ridiculous. Nothing was found in regards to the hazing allegation and seems like their nationals is just using this as an excuse to force their balanced man program upon traditional chapters. Universities nation wide want to see the american college fraternity as we know it disappear and turn into something more like a club. This will be a huge loss for ECU and for traditional sig ep chapters.
  • by jimmy Location: Raleigh on Dec 7, 2010 at 03:51 PM
    Who Cares
  • by Sam Location: Kitty Hawk on Dec 7, 2010 at 01:25 PM
    It does sound like the ones that decided on the revocation did not do enough of an investigation since nothing can be proven. I don't see how or why they should be shut down when nothing bad was proven. As an ECU alum who was NOT in a fraternity, I have friends who were in frats and they all kept their grades up and priorities in order. Sure they did some partying and clubbing but that did'nt bring their grads down. One of my wife's really good friends from ECU, her husband was a TKE and he is easygoing.
  • by sarah Location: Goldsboro on Dec 7, 2010 at 09:43 AM
    TO Responses - Laura... "L" starts with Capitol L! Laura not laura

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111287384 - witn.com/a?a=111287384