East Carolina Falls 56-37

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Fifth-year senior Stephen Garcia came off the bench to run for two touchdowns and throw for another as he rallied the 12th-ranked Gamecocks past East Carolina 56-37 on Saturday night.

Marcus Lattimore added 112 yards and three TDs.

Garcia sat the first quarter as South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier started sophomore Connor Shaw. But the Gamecocks fumbled three times, including one by Shaw, and trailed 17-0 before Garcia entered the game. That's when the offense started to click and South Carolina took control of the season opener.

Garcia had a 32-yard touchdown run his first series and when Lattimore finished the Gamecocks next drive with a 4-yard scoring run, South Carolina fans at Bank of America Stadium began chanting Garcia's name in celebration.

Garcia opened the second half with a with a 3-yard TD pass to Ace Sanders and put the Gamecocks ahead for good moments later, 28-24, with a 1-yard touchdown run.

Previous Story:
Ace Sanders returned a Ben Ryan punt 68 yards for a touchdown to further the gap between USC and ECU to 56-31.

Previous Story:
Marcus Lattimore punched in his 3rd touchdown of the game and second straight 1 yard score to put South Carolina up 49-31 in the fourth quarter against East Carolina.

Previous Story:
South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore scored from less than a yard out to push the USC lead back to 11 at 42-31 in the third quarter.

Previous Story:
Dominique Davis scored from 37 yards out to cut the South Carolina lead to 35-31. The Gamecocks had taken an 11 point lead when Antonio Allen returned a Michael Dobson fumble for a touchdown.

Previous Story:
Stephen Garcia scored from 10 yards out for his second rushing touchdown of the game to put South Carolina up 28-24 versus East Carolina.

Previous Story:
Stephen Garcia threw his first touchdown pass of the game to put South Carolina within three at 24-21. Dominique Davis has 3 touchdown passes.

Previous Story:
Dominique Davis threw his third touchdown pass of the game with three seconds left in the first half as East Carolina took a 24-14 lead into the locker room against 12th-ranked South Carolina.

Previous Story:
Marcus Lattimore has closed the gap for South Carolina with his 4 yard touchdown run. ECU still leads 17-14 in the second quarter.

Previous Story:
Stephen Garcia ran for a 32 yard touchdown to put South Carolina on the scoreboard. Dominique Davis has 2 touchdown passes for the Pirates and Michael Barbour has a 24 yard field goal.

Previous Story:
ECU has taken a 17-0 lead versus South Carolina. Dominique Davis has 2 touchdown passes. The first was a 25 yard strike to Justin Hardy. The second was a 19 yard pass to Lance Lewis. Michael Barbour added a 24 yard field goal.

Previous Story:
ECU has taken a 7-0 lead versus South Carolina. Dominique Davis threw a 25 yard touchdown pass to Justin Hardy.

Previous Story:
The East Carolina Pirates and second-year head coach Ruffin McNeill will face off with No. 12 South Carolina tonight at Charlotte's Bank of America Stadium.

We'll keep you updated on the game here on witn.com with updates on this story. WITN Sports Director Billy Weaver will be at the game for coverage.

The game will be broadcast on television on Fox Sports Carolinas and on radio on WNCT 107.9.

ECU reports "the contest against the Gamecocks also represents the first of three meetings against automatic-qualifying Bowl Championship Series (BCS) members in 2011 for ECU, which next Saturday will face Virginia Tech at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium before following with an in-state rivalry clash against the North Carolina Tar Heels (Oct. 1), also in Greenville."

ECU has had 11 bowl appearances since 1990, seven since 2000 including five straight in a row.

ECU's history against the Gamecocks is a tough one. South Carolina leads 10-5, but ECU has won three out of the last four matchups.

Tonight will be the fifth time the Pirates travel to Charlotte for a "neutral site" contest.

According to ECU, "since joining C-USA in 1997, East Carolina has recorded a 39-54 (.419) mark when playing away from Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium ... Prior to a 2-5 mark in 2010 (losses at Virginia Tech, North Carolina, UCF and Rice, victories at USM and UAB, and a neutral site setback to Maryland in the Military Bowl), the Pirates were 3-4 in 2009 and 5-4 in 2008 ... Outside of C-USA action, ECU has dropped nine straight (last win came in `08 vs. Virginia Tech in a familiar setting - Bank of America Stadium)."

ECU has a record of 5-21 against SEC current members.

• by Mr. E on Sep 8, 2011 at 11:34 AM
    EZU is a 21 point underdog at HOME!! HA HA HA HA!!! EZU and 0-2 what a nice rhyme!
      by HA on Sep 8, 2011 at 01:54 PM in reply to Mr. E
      Mr E. your an underdog in being successful in life. You stand a one in a million chance of doing anything productive in your miserable life. I hope you don't have kids, what a waste of life they would be.
  • by Frank Sinatra Location: Heaven on Sep 7, 2011 at 09:43 PM
    It is not a question of if ECU wins this week, it is a question if they will win at all this year.
      by JDLadd on Sep 8, 2011 at 11:43 AM in reply to Frank Sinatra
      If Easy Credit U weren't in Cupcake USA they would never win a conference game.
        by Bud on Sep 8, 2011 at 12:39 PM in reply to JDLadd
        Ahhhh so that's why UNC hasn't won the ACC in 30 years huh? They're in a "good" conference with "good teams" so the Tarbabies have no shot, I gotcha. But ECU is in a bad conference so they're at the top all the time and actually won the C-USA twice in a row, I understand now. You know what your statement really says? "Waaah my team is in a BCS conference and we've been irrelevant my entire life, we can barely even win 6 games so we have to schedule D-II schools just to make a bowl!"
          by Will on Sep 10, 2011 at 01:49 PM in reply to Bud
          ecu would finish last in the acc every year!!!! they cant do no better than cupcake usa conference!! @JDLadd thats a good comment lol
          by David on Sep 23, 2011 at 03:25 PM in reply to Bud
          They still lost to UNC.
  • by The Ghost of David Garrard on Sep 7, 2011 at 04:30 AM
    Yo, yo, yo! What's poppin? They seems to be a lot of smack goin round on her'. What da deal? Seem like yall done been in dat malt licka, talkin all crazy. Yall acts like da bulldog done bit ya, or da cobra done scruck. Listen, I was de best eva to come from de state of east carolina (pour one for my homies). They aint neva seen a qb like me. I yousa pound da pack all da time. Dont let dem jive turkeys be gettin yall down. I tell ya I got dis purple haze in my brain! GO PUPLE PIRATES!!
      by Anonymous on Sep 8, 2011 at 04:09 AM in reply to The Ghost of David Garrard
      Nice post David. You havent changed a bit. I knew it was you the minute I began reading your post. Glad that tutor we had doing your homework for you paid off. sorry to hear your broke now though.
  • by Robert Location: Greenville on Sep 6, 2011 at 09:53 PM
    It is cool and rainy all week in Blacksburg but the weather is hot and humid in Greenville. Va Tech may not play well in very humid weather like WVU did not when they played ECU in 2008. WVU guys were out of breath the whole game and the Pirates won big.
      by Dave on Sep 8, 2011 at 11:43 AM in reply to Robert
      Get a life Robert.
  • by west florida grad Location: Greenville, N.C. on Sep 6, 2011 at 08:17 PM
    Its the S.O.S in both cases a Pirate loss and all 153 comments. Next year will be the same .
  • by pirate/hawk Location: G-vegas on Sep 6, 2011 at 06:41 PM
    Come on guys give it a rest. No not even me expected us to be able to come back with a W Saturday. I am very proud of the defense and the heart that they showed. Yes I would have loved to come back with a win, but I am still a pirate - will be one until the day that I die. Think of who we were up against, shoot if nothing happens we just might be seeing them in the national championship game come January. The nation really needs to pack rowdy dowdy on Saturday, I am talking not an empty seat. GO PIRATES.
  • by Chuck Location: Greenville on Sep 6, 2011 at 01:51 PM
    Hey Folks.Football games are played on the field.All you armchair quarterbacks need to get a life. The SC Game was against the # 12 team in nation & ECU was whipping them until ECU started fumbling the ball. SC is the best team ECU will play all year. So Instead of putting ECU down & Bitching & acting like you know everything,maybe we should all play about four more games & then lets take a look then. None of us are fortune tellers.S Carolina will go undefeated rest of year. Va Tech & N Carolina might be good.Hard to tell how good,because they both played very wear teams last week. Folks posting Negative stuff here about ECU need to move on to another state. Don't you have better things to do,like get out & help your neighbors clean up all the yard mess.
  • by Sam Location: Kitty Hawk on Sep 6, 2011 at 11:48 AM
    Well the football team needs to stop fumbling the football and turning it over. That's what kept more points from getting on that scoreboard saturday night. That saying if they can do that, make the plays, improve on the defense, PUT TWO HALVES TOGETHER OF QUALITY FOOTBALL, and if Virginia Tech gets a little bit overconfident, then I see a Pirate victory coming saturday over the Hokies. South Carolina is definately a national championship contender this year, and certainly a contender for the SEC title. That was the toughest game all year.
      by Mr. E on Sep 6, 2011 at 09:05 PM in reply to Sam
      VA Tech is going to be the toughest game you ECU fans will have all year. South Carolina is going to lose at least 2 games.
        by Sam on Sep 7, 2011 at 07:30 AM in reply to Mr. E
        Mr. E, Virginia Tech is coming to Greenville, where they are not all that used to the hot and humid conditions. South Carolina didn't come to Greenville and had just a few more fans at the game in Charlotte than what East Carolina had. Our home crowd will put in the spark to the football team and I wont be surprised if ECU wins on saturday.
  • by Matty has a V on Sep 6, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    Haha any team that plays ECU your cheer for?? ahhh sounds like someone still can't get over the lost last year huh? Don't let it get you down little fella, your gonna be alright. And you really think NCSU is a top college football team?? Please say your joking man. Ohhhhhh i see why you are an UF fan now? When your team sucks you gotta find a winning program and hop on!! wow Matty has a V, your a funny character.
      by Matty V. on Sep 6, 2011 at 12:53 PM in reply to Matty has a V
      I actually have a degree from both UF and NCSU so I actually have the right to cheer for both because I actually attended both....I'm definitely not the Wal-Mart fan that seems to be prevalent when it comes to ECTC (East Carolina Teachers College, for those who seem to not know the morbid history of this institution). Also, I didnt claim that NCSU was a top college football team you assumed I did, which means it must be on your mind. But we do hold the overall record versus the team from the east....food for thought.
        by Anonymous on Sep 6, 2011 at 07:33 PM in reply to Matty V.
        Matty V. First off, I do not begrudge your choices of Universities, either as a student nor as a fan. You seem to use the term "ECTC" derisively. Many here are proud of this history. What, pray-tell, do you have against a "normal school" or a school that has a history as a teachers college? After all, YOU used the term "morbid" in relation to these terms. Again, please explain this comment. Otherwise, this reader is left to deduce that you feel that education as a discipline is an inferior subject below your intellect. Of course, I assume, at some time, that your intellect was stimulated by a teacher? Do you realize how condescending and elitist you sound? (I could use other terms, but I'll resist for now). In case you feign naivete as to what I am referencing here, allow me to quote you: "ECTC (East Carolina Teachers College, for those who seem to not know the morbid history of this institution)". Finally, ECU may have a few band-wagon fans, but nothing of the sort or volume of our ACC brethren. So, please explain this "morbid" history that you mention. Of course, you may also feel free to disembark that high-horse that you ride as well. Do you begrudge a "Teachers College" due to some of your own internal insecurities that have you over-compensating intellectual superiority? Also, given your views on a Teachers College, I'd also love to hear your views on HBCU's. Have at it, friend...
          by Matty V. on Sep 7, 2011 at 04:39 AM in reply to Anonymous
          Let me climb down off this horse to wade in the squalor that is EZU. First, we are not your ACC "brethren". That implies we are in the same conference, and that couldnt be farther from the truth. As poor as the ACC is athletically, it is no where near the C-USA. Second, I have no problem with teachers. Were it not for teachers, I wouldnt hold numerous degrees. I only use the ECTC mantra to get a rise, which works marvelously by the way. Third, you amuse me with your attempts at race baiting. What do HBCU's have to do with EZU and rival trash talking?
          by Anonymous on Sep 7, 2011 at 08:34 AM in reply to Anonymous
          Matty V.: So you admit that you're here just slinging mud, and yet feign surprise that I would ask you about your views on HBCU's? DO you not care for the sound of reciprocity? It is not that far a jump in logic that given your views about a "Teachers College" , that you may also harbor some negative stereotypes about HBCU's. After all, it is you that started the questioning of academic aptitude in the first place. Although, now you meagerly try to walk these statements back by claiming to "get a rise". You represent ACC arrogance well. When I used the term "our ACC brethren", I meant our instate brethren, not implying ECU was in the ACC. Sorry to confuse you, I'll try to be more explicit next time. We were not born with the athletic and monetary silver spoon in our mouths that UNC-CHeat and NCSU were. Consequently, you ACT like you were born of the priveleged class, as is manifest here in your postings. But, as an NCSU alum., do you REALLY want to take the narcissistic role more often assigned to UNC-CHeat? I thought that you NSU'ers hated this about the tarheels; and here you are playing the exact same act?! Finally, you engage in too much stereotyping based on undergraduate school and degree. Since you flaunt your "numerous" degrees, I'll qualify my own. ECU undergrad. and MD from University of Pennsylvania. So, although my undergraduate degree has led to many successes in life, for some reason, I do not have the emotional insecurities and/or personal issues that necessitate me going to a message board, unsolicited, and calling out a University of 28,000 and hundreds of thousands of alum., all based on "getting a rise". That is why I question your interpersonal insecurites. So, what does this FAR too lengthy post of mine prove... that you're a troll (mayne a semi-well educated one, but a troll nonetheless). Have a great day!
          by Dave on Sep 7, 2011 at 10:27 AM in reply to Anonymous
          Zzzzzzz
        by Anonymous on Sep 7, 2011 at 04:45 AM in reply to Matty V.
        State has 16 wins, we have 11 WOW! But let me break that down for you...most of those wins came before 1985 (11 wins to our 5), but since then ECU has been on top of this rivarly. Not to mention the peach bowl in 92. And almost all of those games were played at carter finley also, don't even say home field is not an advantage, state has only beat us once at home field and it was lucky lucky. ECU has beat the wolfpupies 7 times in thier dog house.
          by farm wolf on Sep 7, 2011 at 05:41 AM in reply to
          @anonymous, please look into your recent history. In the decade of the 2000s, EZU and State played 5 times with State winning 3 and EZU winning 2. So I guess being behind 3-2 is your view of "being on top of the rivalry". If you need me to cite sources, I will be happy too...
          by Charley Sheen on Sep 7, 2011 at 05:50 AM in reply to
          State has only beat ECU once in Dowdy-Ficklen, but they have only played there three times (you failed to mention this fact). One of three equates to the same as 7 out of 21 (times ECU beat State in Carter-Finley). That leaves 14 games that State one at home. NC State still leads the series=winnnnniiinnnngggg!
          by So on Sep 7, 2011 at 06:48 AM in reply to
          How bout this....We beat yall last time we played. I will leave it at that
          by to farm puppy on Sep 7, 2011 at 08:09 AM in reply to
          In the last 10 times we played we won 6. And thats from 1987-present. Thanks and have a great day
          by farm wolf on Sep 7, 2011 at 10:39 AM in reply to
          Ok, you may have won the last game. Well guess what...James Madison beat VT in the last game they played, but this doesn't mean that JMU is a better program than VT! Let me put the numbers out again...In the series State has won 16 and ECU has won 11. Numbers don't lie...ECU come out on the shrt end of the stick again.
        by Darren on Sep 7, 2011 at 07:34 AM in reply to Matty V.
        Well what you need to do is stay down in Florida, cause you sure don't belong in this state. While at it, go pull for the Central Florida Knights as well. People like you begin to make me want to pull for Florida State just cause they are rivals with both Florida and N.C. State, or should I say U Felon Gaytors and MooU Wolfpuppies.
          by Matty V. on Sep 7, 2011 at 08:25 AM in reply to Darren
          Darren-I have to compliment you on the great nicknames, theyre pretty creative for an EZU fan. Based on youre creativeness I assume you are a super genius, which begs the question "why are you an EZU fan?". Are you EZU alum? If so, why? If you in deed are a super genious, you picked a poor school. Seriously, did you get the names from a three year old? And by the way, if youre dumb enough to pull for halfassu then go ahead; I really wouldnt expect anything different from someone with your experience. FSU fans are really no different than EZU fans. Theyre just a group of people who wish they got accepted to a real university in their respective states, and theyre jealous of those who did.
          by to farm puppy on Sep 7, 2011 at 11:39 AM in reply to Darren
          We have a 5-3 record with South Carolina so i guess we are a better team then them? I would say no because they beat us in the MOST RECENT game. And you spelled shrt wrong its spelled short, geez learn how to spell man! haha see farm wolf thats kinda annoying right?
  • by Its not the defenses fault Location: Washington on Sep 6, 2011 at 09:55 AM
    the defense didnt play horrible. the special teams and offense put them in terrible places by turning the ball over 3 straight possesions.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 129182438 - witn.com/a?a=129182438