Memorial For ECU Graduate Student Killed In Car Crash

Students and faculty at East Carolina University will remember one of its students killed in a car accident earlier this week.

The memorial service for Amanda "Mandy" Kelly will take place Thursday on ECU's campus. The service will begin at 8 p.m in Room 307 of the Science and Technology Building. A candlelight vigil at the Trustees Fountain will immediately follow the service.

Kelly was killed Monday after her car collided head-on with a pickup truck in Wilson. The 24-year-old graduate student was from Ontario, Canada. She was returning to Greenville when the crash happened after dropping off her parents at RDU airport in Raleigh.

Previous Story:

Wilson Police say about 8:21a.m Monday, officers responded to a crash on US Highway 264 Bypass near Black Creek Road. Police say a car and truck crashed head-on 100 feet east of the Black Creek Road overpass.

Police say 24-year-old Amanda Kelly was killed when her 2000 Ford Taurus hit a truck head on. Police say she was traveling on US Hwy 264 Bypass toward Greenville and ran off the road. Investigators believe she may have over-corrected and lost control going back off the road and into the center median. Kelly’s car collided with a 2006 Chevy Silverado driven by 31-year-old Johnnie Page, III of Sims, NC.

Kelly was pronounced dead at the scene. She was a graduate student at East Carolina University from Ontario, Canada. Mr. Page was transported to by Wilson County EMS to Wilson Medical Center where he was treated and released.

The crash is still under investigation.

The west bound lanes of US Hwy 264 Bypass were closed for about 5 hours while the investigation took place and the scene was cleared.

• by A Mom Location: Stoney Creek, Ontario on Mar 28, 2011 at 05:18 PM
    I worked with Mandy at The Home Depot in Stoney Creek, Ontario. I know I speak for everybody there when I say her parents should be proud to call her their daughter! An amazing girl, with a beautiful smile, personality and heart. To her brother, family and boyfriend, please accept my deepest sympathy during this tragic and sorrowful time. May the wonderful memories of Mandy be of solace to you now and forever. Rest in peace Mandy.
  • by So Sad on Mar 25, 2011 at 10:24 AM
    she's such a beautiful girl...am sorry for her friends and family....RIP Mandy Kelly....
  • by Hammer Location: ontario on Mar 24, 2011 at 03:59 PM
    We haven't talked in years but when I heard the news I was in total shock. I still can't believe this. Truely going to be missed by many and man you RIP
  • by Linda Location: easter carolina on Mar 24, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    My heart goes out to the family and friends, so sorry for your loss. May God strengthen you and give you peace during this time.
  • by Mac on Mar 24, 2011 at 08:19 AM
    This breaks my heart. I can not imagine. My thoughts are with the family and friends.
  • by Darren Location: Kill Devil Hills on Mar 24, 2011 at 07:30 AM
    It's ashame to see another pirate gone. Thoughts and prayers go out to the Kelly family. May God be with them at this time.
  • by cj on Mar 24, 2011 at 05:53 AM
    wow, sorry for your loss. she was beautiful. via con dios
  • by Scott and Shelley Location: Oakville/hamilton/Greenville on Mar 24, 2011 at 03:19 AM
    My wife and I never met Mandy, but wish we had. We both came from Ontario ourselves and work at the East Carolina Heart Institute. Greenville is home to many from North America and a great community to belong to. Mandy was part of our family here, and will be missed by our North Carolina family. We have been blessed to have had the Kelly family share Mandy with us, and our prayers will be that the Lord be made known to all who have been touched by this young lady, and that all may see her light through her friends and family. Be blessed,
  • by Teresa Golos-Fedak on Mar 23, 2011 at 10:50 PM
    My daughter lost her best friend ever.This tragic accident shocked all of us.Mandy will be missed greatly but never forgotten.We share her family's pain. You're in our prayers.
  • by ECU Community Location: Greenville, NC on Mar 23, 2011 at 02:37 PM
    While there are no words to adequately express our sorrow over the loss of such a vibrant and intelligent young woman, our thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends. She was an absolute delight to all who knew her and will always be remembered!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 118406584 - witn.com/a?a=118406584