Driver Robbed After Stopping For Man In Street

What would you do if you saw a person standing in the middle of the street you were driving down? Likely, you would stop, or at least slow down, to avoid hitting the person. That action set a driver up to become the victim of an armed robbery in Greenville.

Greenville Police say Tharon Gillispie was driving down B's Barbecue Rd. Monday evening when he saw a man standing in the middle of the road. Gillispie stopped his car, and that's when a different man, one armed with a gun, demanded Gillispie hand over his money and his cell phone.

Police say Gillispie was not injured and drove directly to the police department after the robbery.

• by REM Location: ENC on Feb 11, 2011 at 03:25 AM
    "If you have a bad childhood, then you take that and try to make your adulthood better not worse." -- Good words to live by; well said.
  • by Reporters Nightmare on Feb 10, 2011 at 09:33 AM
    Years ago, they had "roving reporters" that went looking for opinions from the average citizen. They were called "The Man In The Street" interviews. I guess it isn't safe anymore to "Ask The Man In The Street". He'll rob you!
  • by Lori Location: Eastern NC on Feb 10, 2011 at 08:58 AM
    I am sorry, but I see nothing racist posted in these comments. It's like the old saying "if the shoe fits, wear it". Yes there is a lot of white people out there committing crimes, but people please watch the news because there is more blacks on the news than white. As far as the ones saying that it is due to economy I have to disagree because there is jobs out there, but there is to many lazy people in this world. Some of act like the white people are not poor, are not uneducated, and does not have teen moms, but guess what there are white people out there like that too. Your life is how you make it not how someone makes it for you. If you have a bad childhood, then you take that and try to make your adulthood better not worse.
  • by Dwayne Location: ENC on Feb 10, 2011 at 07:07 AM
    What is the world coming to when you have to worry about whether you should stop or not for someone in the road. Last night I made the comment to my wife (as we passed a dead animal on the side of the road), that we don't think twice here about seeing a dead animal but in afghanistan and irag that would mean trffice would come to a stop and an explosive team would check to see if it was a bomb or not. Sad how the world is changing.
  • by pirate/hawk Location: G/vegas on Feb 10, 2011 at 05:04 AM
    Ok somebody please tell me where in the story did it point out that these two robbers were black? I read the whole thing three times and did not see it. Anyway I do agree on the thugs part.
  • by Bob Location: local on Feb 10, 2011 at 01:55 AM
    I would have probably run over this man, not because of his color, but out of fear for my life. I'm aware of this happening in this area before and am always on the lookout for this sort of thing when on B's Barbecue Rd. I'm not stopping! Would this make me the worse person? I don't think so. I have many black friends who respect me and I respect them. Respect is not a gift. It's earned. R-E-S-P-E-C-T........
  • by Wolfgang Location: Chocowinity,NC on Feb 9, 2011 at 07:56 PM
    Man standing in the middle of the road needs help? , Don't stop , Cell call 911 let them shoot it out with the police!
  • by saw what Location: gville on Feb 9, 2011 at 07:50 PM
    who what I RAN OVER SOME ONE STANDING IN THE ROAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • by bad idea on Feb 9, 2011 at 04:04 PM
    man standing in middle of road with gun pointed at my car=road pancake!
  • by BILLY Location: Simpson on Feb 9, 2011 at 03:11 PM
    If i get stopped, they will get BIG hole in the head!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 115626589 - witn.com/a?a=115626589